The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
psycho0

turbinocarpus?

has anyone gott any info on this cactus?

i searched here, found nothing

haven't tried google, etc,. yet tho

thanx

aaron

Here's probably the best source of info on Turbinicarpus.

http://www.mfaint.demon.co.uk/cactus/turbo/

My research has shown that regardless of a number of Turbinicarpus species containing minimal amounts of mescaline, and two being known as "peyote" (T. pseudomacrochele and T. pseudopectinatus) there is very little support for any species being valued as having ethnobotanical uses. In fact both of the species I mentioned have never been confirmed as even having been called peyote or being used medicinally. T. pseudomacrochele is simply assumed to be peyote as an unknown species that grows alongside L. diffusa was once said to be a peyote (though T. pseudomacrochele has never been confirmed as this unknown species), and T. pseudopectinatus is only referred to as peyote due to it being the correct name for another suspect peyote, Pelecyphora pseudopectinata, a species which appeared to be regarded as a peyote only because it was once considered in the same taxa and bears resemblance to a known peyote, Pelecyphora asselliformis. But even P. asselliformis is a suspect peyote as it has no native indian traditional usage, but is rather only a plant used medicinally by Mexicanized populations. And do bear in mind that the term "peyote" is only more recently being used by traditional indians, the Tarahumara and the Huichol, to describe plants that they always described as being "Jikuri" (Huichol) or Hikuri (Tarahumara). "Peyote," no matter its suspected ancient etymology, is a Mexican term and not a traditionally maintained one.

Grow these ones for their incredible beauty and close relationship to Lophophora, but you will find little interest in them beyond cultivation.

~Michael~

thanx 4 the info!

might have to get one

Ive been importing seeds of these CITES protected cacti for a while now, cheaper when you do all teh CITES ones together

Planted some a month ago and they are looking fine

T lophophoroides and T krainzianus i put down first

Ill be growing many more and doing some pereskiopsis grafting so in a while ill have 2 forms to sell, on their own roots or grafted

as well as the other species im doing in the same form simultaneously such as Ariocarpus , aztekium, obregonia etc...

nearly up to #'s with Pereskiopsis so ill have at least 1/2 the season to grow on

Hey Rev, good luck with growing and grafting. Sounds fun, I wish I had more time for it myself.

And just to let you know, only one Ariocarpus is a bona fide "Hikuri" among the Tarahumara. The Huichol consider A. retusus a "false jikuri" or peyote (numberous other plants have been improperly given the "false peyote" title) that is to be avoided. All other Ariocarpus that are considered "peyote" should be considered like the species I mentioned above which seem to have no history as traditional ethnobotanical plants. Mexican population do seem to use some species though, but only for rheumatoid arthritis and for wounds, but there isn't any ritualized use of the plants like you will find among the Tarahumara and Huichol. And believe it or not even Obregonia denegrii and Aztekium ritterii are not true "peyote" either. These two in fact don't even seem to have any medicinal used among the Mexicans, and good thing for that as the populations are very limited.

Damn, I love cacti!

~Michael~

Thanks MS

I read somewhere recently that ethnic mexicans had taken to smoking the tips of A retusus for narcotic effect

damn i wish i remembered where i read that

I have 2 retusus on their own roots but they are a couple years from full start formation by which time i wouldnt be able to cut off their tips

hence mass propagation so as to avoid sentimental attachment

I read in the SS catalogue that some ariocarpus are eaten for culinary value

no wonder they are rare

I ceratainly would like to see some of these cacti reanalysed in future but im also growing them cos they look great and simply because ive found it impossible to get them anywhere else in Australia

so i figure others have the same problem

And not least cos most species are cold hardy to several degrees below zero in dormancy

I wonder if the tendency of pereskiopsis to cause pupping will come through with ariocarpus?

they eat ariocarpus agavoides, supposed to be a treat for the kiddies as its sweet. ive been thinking about trying some of the slower growing species, aztekium, ariocarpus, astrophytum, turbincarpus, just wondering about germination rates your getting rev. also have you had any big problems??? where do you get your seed from, cactus heaven???? also how long to cacti live, do any die of old age before they die from human mistakes???

germ rates range from excellent to low

im working on some methods to improve

most of my seed has been from Cactus heaven in the past but i now use several other suppliers

i think most of these cacti live a very long time

problems?

not really

as seeding they are undemanding just follow any standard cactus growing guide

as adults however they are more difficult especially those with a taproot

still the simple rule of water only when its warm and keep in a free draining mix seems to be the best 2 pieces of advice for starters