The Corroboree
space cadet swami

Tabernaemontana undulata : bechette ... Grow log.

Please forgive my approximate dates & times for these plants in the earlier part

5 x seeds from "kiwiboancaya" were planted in Jul/Aug 2012. The seeds looked exactly the same as de-husked Iboga seed. The seedlings are hard to tell apart also.

They were potted into 63mm tubes, with a sandy well drained mix. Placed on a middle shelf, semi-shaded, in a hothouse. Watered once, sometimes twice a week, until germination at 8-10 weeks...3 from 5.

Potted up into 5" pots when roots were poking out the bottom...at about the 3rd set of leaves. Into a moist medium...I like a bit of vermiculite & a little bit of "5 in 1".

(NOTE: at this point I put slow release fert on the surface, this came into contact with the 2nd set of leaves & burnt them in half. The leaves droop of a night & touch the soil, until the plant gets taller.)

So the plants stayed in the hothouse for about 4mths, when I decided to put 1 up for auction. At this point they attracted some leaf miner attention & seemed to be going off the hot/humid conditions of the hothouse. So I treated the leaf miner & moved the plants into the greenhouse.

Picture #1...app 4/5mths old.

post-11175-0-29636000-1361023127_thumb.j

Picture #2...10 days later, bifurcating at the crown & 1cm taller.

post-11175-0-63567000-1361023217_thumb.j

thed00d adopted the girl in picture & she has now moved to the NSW, Sth coast...where he will continue to run updates.

The other 2 girls reside on the Atherton tablelands, Nth QLD. They are now in 200mm pots & continue to live in the greenhouse :) , until next spring when I will transition 1 into the ground...the other will remain as back-up & hopefully will supply SABer's with cuttings, in the not to distant.

Once I have some picture updates of interest I will post ... :)

post-11175-0-29636000-1361023127_thumb.jpg

post-11175-0-63567000-1361023217_thumb.jpg

post-11175-0-29636000-1361023127_thumb.jpg

post-11175-0-63567000-1361023217_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I know that Tabernaemontana orientalis throws suckers.. have you ever had a shoot from any of your babies?

• Like 1

I know that Tabernaemontana orientalis throws suckers.. have you ever had a shoot from any of your babies?

Still a bit too young at this point...1 of the plants I kept, has also started to bifurcate at the crown...at 43cm tall.

• Like 1

Did you have any trouble getting these seeds?

Plant is looking healthy considering a 5.5 day dark period in the post! I'm just waiting til the leaves perk up a bit to repot during the week, also the soil needs to dry a bit as to not disturb the roots majorly. Will post a pic when this happens, will also document my soil medium as it will differ from spaceys.

The next endeavour will be a painful bioessay, info is very sparce on this and will be fairly new within the outter Amazon community I think... Anybody with insights please pm me or spacey!

D00d

• Like 2

will also document my soil medium as it will differ from spaceys.

D00d

this plant, is very likely, not too much upset, if you repot it into a different medium, than the one it came with, but i would still, not be too advetures about it. many plants hate, to be repoted into different soil, as they got used to.

mostly this has do to with how well it drains, basicly it's structure.

if you change the character of the potting mix a lot, thermo lines can form.

catha edulis, is one of those plants, and it's upset, if the new soil, has more drainage, and naturaly aswell, if it has too little drainage.

taberna, though is a tough plant, like cannabis and will forgive you for your sins, hehehe.

It will be of a very similar structure and we've cross referenced our mediums and agreed both will/should be fine. Tomorrow first light will be 24hrs out of the box and will receive 3-4hrs direct morning light in my balcony. I think she'll appreciate it but will move it soon as I get home to a shade clothed area soon as I get home if I notice any stresses.

• Like 1

I've seen it suggested a few times that the pain of the eye drops could be due to the tannins in the Amazonian water, but I guess we won't know until you try now, will we? ;)

after reading THIS article, am i just confused or is it suggesting we are actually growing sananho? unless they got the pictures confused?

d00d

I did read something on this just recently, where there was a comparative distribution map & I think it's more to do with the locality of the 2 different species. If I remember right the sananho is found in the more northerly areas of south america, compared to the undulata being still northern, but a tad more south...can't remember where, sorry.

After googling pictures of both plants leaves, the undulata pictures look more accurate when compared to the actual plant...IMO.

White (sananho) or red stem into white (undulata) flowers, we may have to wait to be absolutely certain.

Heres the 2 pics:

undulata

http://biogeodb.stri.si.edu/bocas_database/search/species/1873

sananho...about 1/2 way down the page.

http://www.toptropicals.com/cgi-bin/garden_catalog/cat.cgi?search_op=and&keyword_op=and〈=e&number=10&user=tt&sale=1&first=3191

The more I look at the 2 types of leaf, the more I'm convinced we are looking at undulata... :)

All the pics you've posted and the majority of what I've researched is right alongside your opinions spacey!

It's just the pics in the link I posted that dont seem consistent, for my eyes anyways. There's that little info out there I'm more or less just trying to find out what's credible etc as its all very convoluted!

• Like 1

Here is the d00d's and co's bechette (truth be told it was purchased for me and a good friend).

This morning was her second Agnihotra session.

I am noticing definite growth is the top leaves and the new ones coming up. It was repotted on Tuesday is a well draining potting mix with some sand, vermiculite and the smallest bit of coco. Very close to the original mix, she was on the verge of heavy root bound, perfect timing! Receiving 3hrs direct sun and a slight mist of the morning to help dissolve some Agnihotra ash.

post-9832-0-48741100-1361437133_thumb.jp

(Hopefully the pic works ok and is big enough)

D00d

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by thed00dabides
  • Like 3

Here is the d00d's and co's bechette (truth be told it was purchased for me and a good friend).

This morning was her second Agnihotra session.

I am noticing definite growth is the top leaves and the new ones coming up. It was repotted on Tuesday is a well draining potting mix with some sand, vermiculite and the smallest bit of coco. Very close to the original mix, she was on the verge of heavy root bound, perfect timing! Receiving 3hrs direct sun and a slight mist of the morning to help dissolve some Agnihotra ash.

D00d

you are realy giving this plant the best care, i specialy like the 3 h morning sun bit.

i hope many (newbie) people, learn from you, how it's done proper, good on ya, D00d.

• Like 2

From the reading I've done on this plant recently, with the link above that d00d posted & the subsequent follow-up googling. What I can gather is, this is an under canopy rainforest tree. I have a place picked out that fills this criteria & 1 of the plants will be going in the ground, in this spot at the start of spring.

I do believe that this plant could survive full sun, but it would need to have sufficient water supply for it to survive an aussie summer. The leaves are typical big juicy rainforest type leaves.

Nice pic d00d...looking :lol:

never grown yours, but i assume she can be treated similar like an iboga, and i have seen tabernaemontanas, in glasshouses.

sure she could take more sun, and the person from png, said some of his ibogas get full sun, but he/she must be talking about a place, like a table land, so higher up it's cooler, and thats why he/she could do it.

the more light ibogas get, the smaller the leaves are, i think avoiding lot's of direct sun, is better, they grow faster like that.

• Like 1

I need to do an Eco oil spray on her because of what we think is leaf miner. I plan on a light spray, light rub/tooth brush on infected areas, followed by a nice h20 foliar spray as to not burn the leaves. Ill do this at nightfall and follow up in 3-5 days to assure elimination hehe

D00d

• Like 1

If anyone in the future is chasing water high in tannins let me know :wink: , can fetch some from the wild west. Cant say the stuff that looks like black tea has ever stung my eyes before :scratchhead:

EDIT - it is more acidic though....

Edited by waterboy

I was thinking of removing the bottom 2 sets of leaves as they are resting on the soil surface, just to clean it up and keep rot/infection to a minimum. My questions RE bioessay include;

1) how many leaves

2) what age are they harvested

3) what dilution in water or straight sap into a spoon or dropper?

I don't expect anyone ere to know this, but if we can get a translation of the vid it would be great. I've emailed the individual who bioessayed (he's on nexus) but his account seems inactive.

that video makes my eye water.

we got members who speak spanish, but none, that i know of who speak portuguese.

maybe, this would work. google>portuguese ethnobotanical plans forum> sign up> ask for people there to translate it.

Edited by planthelper

Yes I might do that! I have a neighbour who is dating a Portuguese bird so maybe she will help me also. I also have a friend dating an Argentinian chick so ill ask there!

By the looks of the video he uses straight sap, this is how I will personally bioessay I think. I can't bring myself to enter dark water into my eye!

This comment from the above link I posted intrigued me, I cannot find this video after hrs....

"There is a hard to find video showing how the Matses make Becchete which is the "sister" named Tabernaemontana Undulata the Kaxinawa and Yawanawa are using the roots of Uchu Sanango aka Tabernaemontana Sananho. In the video I saw of the Matses making Becchete which lasted for only a minute they grate it super fine (the root) and then strain through water. Ultra simple"

If this statement rings true then looks like I won't be able to avoid brackish tannin water in my eye LOL!!!

• Like 1

Ok...it's been 5weeks & this girl has gone from 40cm to 57cm.

Originally I potted up from a 5" to an 8" pot...well they've already outgrown these pots & 1 is now into a 14" pot.

Roots were nice & white & busting to get out. I'm going to take a chance & put the other one in the ground. The weather is perfect, wet & humid. It's a bit of a gamble with winter, but I have a feeling we're going to get a wet winter this year...so roll the dice, I say :).

post-11175-0-87827100-1362974139_thumb.j post-11175-0-07871200-1362974205_thumb.j

post-11175-0-87827100-1362974139_thumb.jpg

post-11175-0-07871200-1362974205_thumb.jpg

post-11175-0-87827100-1362974139_thumb.jpg

post-11175-0-07871200-1362974205_thumb.jpg

• Like 1