The Corroboree

Im starting a thread for people interested in bee keeping, I have had bees since i was

a kid so if anyone needs help on stetting up please post . Or have a question you need

to ask

also if anyone needs a new queen for there hive i will send you one apis mellifera golden Italian

(takes about three weeks to make sure she is mated )

this thread is open to all types of bees

• Like 5

My biggest question as someone who's seriously considered beekeeping but never dived in: in practice, how much will maintaining a small hive affect my neighbours (and others I live with for that matter)?

• Like 1

endorfinder

you would want a small colony and go for a placid breed such as golden carolians

they are a very calm hive and really friendly . also your bees should have a clear

flight path you dont want them flying into people and around objects to get to

your hive

high bigred my folks have native bee's on their property and ive always wanted to set up a nice hive for them to live in.

do you have any spare clean boxes?

I could trade or buy.

one nest is on the ground been like that for easy 10+ years the hive is still strong and healthy, another is in an old tree.

pretty sure there is two types of native bees on the east coast of aus, one that covers the entrance @ night and the other that leaves it open, we have the ones that leave the door open.

• Like 1

there are two native breed's that are used ,the best one to have are Trigona they are very small.

I dont have any hives for sale but will call my bee guy and work out what we can do

can you post any pic's so i can see them and identify them.

There are 2 genera of social bees on the east coast of northern aus,Tetragonula, carbonaria & hockingsi are the 2 spp commonly seen.

And Austroplebeia, A australis being the only representative of its genus in SEQ that i know off.

There is a native bee study group if anyone is keen enough

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ANBees/

• Like 2

i have wanted a hive for so long, but the locak bee guy wants over $200 for a hive and im poor.

Teach me everything i need to know red! :worship: i can build a hive if i know what i need to build.

$200 seems to be about the going rate these days, they have quadrupled in price over the past 8-10 years with the rising demand for hives & the fact that aussies are somewhat backward in regards to native bee husbandry & propagation, at least in comparison to Brazil.

Having newly introduced pests that nail freshly split hives doesn't help either.

If there are ppl keeping hives near you Hillbilly there will be swarms that you can take advantage off, i've seen 5 swarms around here in the past week, probably triggered by the storms.

Not about colonial bees but still helpful pollinators

• Like 2

200 is cheap for tetragonula I've seen them as high as 400. I like the idea of them for closed environment pollinators like in Greenhouses etc. The little buggers acan be a bit picky with what they like to pollinate if they have options. SHortly you were saying they may be looking into licenses for natives? heard anymore on that?

What kind of gear do you need before you start off?

Really interested in getting a good home for the natives, and then getting a hive for honey production.

Am uploading some pictures of the native bees to photobucket once thats done ill post them here.

i was just reading about top bar hives. They seem to be pretty simple to make, and then i wouldnt need a capping knife, extractor and stuff.

Are they any good?

just extending the current Apis regulations to include all bees that are susceptible to Apis pests & diseases from what i gather

• Like 2

workshops in QLD

http://www.sugarbag.net/learn-more/

will have a walk around to see if the bees in the old dead tree are still there.

Rough hive instructions

http://www.sugarbag.net/hives/

Found the oher hive bigger than the one on the ground but too high in the tree to take any photo's

Edited by spacemonk
  • Like 1

@bigred

this property backs onto wetlands, there is plenty of path for bees to get around. i'm at the edge of town definitely not suburbia.

second big question - i'm likely to travel quite a bit this year, how easily can others maintain a setup for me while i'm away?

i can give you a map ref for my property if you're curious, i think you can get a reasonable idea of what's going on.

trichocerous only flower briefly once a year, now this might be a silly question but is there such a thing as trichocereus honey ? :drool2:

in Brisbane bees are really easy to maintain your big problem is winter for new colonies.

a flight path over the wetlands will be ideal . Have a bucket with a few stick in it near

the hive so the bee's can have a drink. For the winter you can feed your bee's

you can buy candy for them from a bee keeping supply. My bee's are next to

the Brisbane river so they dont mind the water last winter i gave them a little

candy to help them along just open the hive and put bits of candy on top of the

frame's . Try not to open your hive to much when starting out they will get stressed

and can swarm so you can be left with a hive without a queen

space monk

i cant identify the colony as of yet but im on it, they don't look like trig's to me.

Im thinking carefully dig out the hive and put it in a pot then put a small native

hive over it (basically a small wooden box) and they will start to build inside your

hive when the colony look really healthy (about two years) take the hive off

and put the bottom on it and sit it near the original hive .They should produce

another queen but if not one will swarm from the original hive .

• Like 1

trichocerous only flower briefly once a year, now this might be a silly question but is there such a thing as trichocereus honey ? :drool2:

if you had a huge green house and controlled the lighting so you could trick them into flowering constantly it could

be done but the cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Like 1

When I was on a flight back from QLD, as we were about to land there, was an announcement over the pa stating that if you had any honey products, they must be put into the bins before leaving the aeroplane . I am assuming it is to protect the bee colonies of Melbourne, and am just wondering what sort of diseases would come in?

There is another 'Bee Keeping' thread at SAB that also has useful info too.

:)

in Brisbane bees are really easy to maintain your big problem is winter for new colonies.

a flight path over the wetlands will be ideal . Have a bucket with a few stick in it near

the hive so the bee's can have a drink. For the winter you can feed your bee's

you can buy candy for them from a bee keeping supply. My bee's are next to

the Brisbane river so they dont mind the water last winter i gave them a little

candy to help them along just open the hive and put bits of candy on top of the

frame's . Try not to open your hive to much when starting out they will get stressed

and can swarm so you can be left with a hive without a queen

space monk

i cant identify the colony as of yet but im on it, they don't look like trig's to me.

Im thinking carefully dig out the hive and put it in a pot then put a small native

hive over it (basically a small wooden box) and they will start to build inside your

hive when the colony look really healthy (about two years) take the hive off

and put the bottom on it and sit it near the original hive .They should produce

another queen but if not one will swarm from the original hive .

hay mate another hint is that they dont cover the entrance @ night pretty sure that was the easy way to tell them apart will get back to you. will googlyze for a bit.

workshops in QLD

http://www.sugarbag.net/learn-more/

will have a walk around to see if the bees in the old dead tree are still there.

Rough hive instructions

http://www.sugarbag.net/hives/

Found the oher hive bigger than the one on the ground but too high in the tree to take any photo's

Wonder if we could get the brizzy based native bee guy to do a workshop @ a park either on the sunny coast or brisibane.

If we get enough numbers chances are he would be keen.

http://www.aussiebee.com.au/beesinyourarea.html

suprised @ how many native bees are in QLD!!

currently confused @ which ones we have buzzing around.

seems like only two are really propagated in SEQ but there is ten species identified here.

wonder if the two main ones are the good sugarbag providers or just the two main ones around QLD?

Want to get these on there feet but dont want to kill them in the attempt to help them :)

Edited by spacemonk

http://www.rovingphotos.com.au/BeeMan.htm This guy is a good fella.

AMazon it would be from pathogens and viruses in the honey as it may be "raw" or uncooked. But it sOK to sell OS honey in our super markets.. anyway

Austroplebeia I believe are a bigger bee which they use on some Lychee and MAngo farms as pollinators but need a more tropical heat? But I'd like to get a hive of T hockingsi as apparently they produce more honey? (From memory when I was reading about them as a potential medicinal honey producer.)