The Corroboree
Jox

Trichocereus huarzensis ?

Hi all, just looking to find out some info on this plant. From what I can find T. huarzensis was collected & named by K.Knize, I have read that this is the same plant as T. santaensis & when you see "huarzensis" it is just a synonym for santaensis. Can anyone confirm this as I am putting new labels on my tricho's & would like to use the correct name.

Cheers

jox

Hi Jox, the name is Trichocereus Huarazensis. And its not a valid name and i am not sure where the name came from again. It is most likely a type of Trichocereus that comes from Huaraz in Peru. The Huarazensis that i know is some kind of Pachanoi but not impossible there are diffrent plants floating around under that name. Didnt Nitrogen produce crosses with a plant that was labeled Huarazensis? Maybe ask him if he can provide a picture. But like i said, im not sure if my memory doesnt trick me right now.

As far as i know, i do not think theres a connection between Santaensis and Huarazensis. Where did you get that Info from? bye Eg

• Like 1

Hi EG,

I bought these of Tripsis last year along with a heap of others, they came labeled as T. terscheckii X T. "huarzensis". I looked this cross up on the internet & found a site called Tricho Serious Ethnobotany, I looked at the index until I found this cross & the write up said they had sourced there seed from a private collector who had got these seeds from Sacred Succulents & the rest was about K.Knize collecting T. huarzensis.

If I look up T.huarzensis by itself nothing comes up (probable spelling like you pointed out)

Cheers

jox

Sorry Halcyon Daze lol,

Thanks for putting a link to it, I will have to work out how to do that. :)

Is Bretloth the creator of Tricho Serious Ethnobtany?

Yeah mate, I'm pretty damn sure anyway.

Links? Just copy the website's address from the address bar, and paste it into your message, it will automatically become a link. :)

• Like 1

I've seen T. Huarzensis mentioned on another forum ( the nook ) quite a bit and from what I gathered it's just a standard looking pachanoi.

Nitrogen seems to have some decent info on this plant. Hopefully he can chime in.

• Like 1

Sure thing - the one have in the USA is called "huarazensis" - I've attached a pic of it - def pachanoi type but is immediately distinguishable in person from others due to the notches and tiny spines - it also turns bluish in a way that regular pachanoi don't usually do.. It got a reputation going for apparently strong spiritual energies that emerge from it.. As far as I know most all the cuts are from Malo up at the nook who has a beast of a mother plant - I was lucky to see it in person - this one gets very thick, moreso than regular pach - kinda like a scop or some such - fast grower too - great plant overall, easily my favorite pachanoi type..

Malo crossed it with a variety of other pachanoi types and also crosses it with my N1 - on the huarazensis x N1 cross though we are not sure if the N1 pollen took or one of the others - open pollination could have easily occurred as his garden was flush at the time with flowers - my seedlings from this cross def look more huarazensis than N1 but they are small enough that the mature spines are just starting to emerge..

IMG_1627.jpg

• Like 7

It's actually not a "normal" looking pachanoi. It's much closer to a TJG-oid in appearance than anything other pachanoids.

Edit: whoops nitrogen beat me to the post.

Edited by mira
  • Like 1

Hey nitrogen,

If you are still in touch with malo, I remember he thought that huarazensis, TJG, and his KK2150 (distinct from forms I've seen with the same label) might all be the same and he was hoping to confirm based on flower morphology. Was he ever able to make this comparison? If so, what were the results?

Here's an older picture of malo's mother plant:

P1000511.jpg

Edited by mira
  • Like 6

Im gathering that there are some imposter Juuls going around... KT talks about it in the Juuls thread
I wouldn't know cause i've never seen anything other than photos that look similar to that one, but not exactly

and also the one on KT's site doesn't seem to match the more common ones going around as Juuls...

That is one of the most georgous pachanoids I've seen Nitrogen... you could call that "Shit Clone #9" and i'd still drool a little

Mira, that pic is not short of georgeous either... but from that distance, it reminds me of several photos of pachanoids i've seen down in peru. particularly from the "Triches in their native habitat" thread over at the n00k...

Edited by Spine Collector
  • Like 1

I have this pachanoi in my collection which is the same clone I see alot in my country. Looks kinda similar to your "Huarazensis" Nitrogen

IMG_9323_zpse3ac76ea.jpg

• Like 5

Thats one sexy cactus :P

• Like 1

That one does look similar, Nemesty..

I didn't ask Malo where it came from but I think it was one of several cuttings he got straight from Knize - he ordered a whole bunch of cacti from down in South America - his garden has a variety of fat, beasty pachanoi types - all growing in the ground..

No way the huarazensis is the same as Juules giant though - least not what I've seen of Juules, which looks a lot more similar to a "normal" pachanoi..

In that picture that Mira posted - I'm not sure those are all the same - I think that might be the T. "Puquio" up against the fence there and the really tall columns with that unusual ribbing/undulations on them - the huarazensis is in the foreground on the left - the 3 smoother ones on the front left.. I remember when I was there he had T. scop, T. huarazensis, T. puquio, and T. ayacucho all planted near each other - the huarazensis had got as tall and fat as the others by that time though.. All of them looked to be in the area of 6-8" wide on the biggest columns - they truly seemed like trees to me, like if you wanted to you could shimmy up them and they might hold your weight..

Edited by nitrogen
  • Like 3

No way is that plant synonymous with T. santaensis. Pretty plant, but pretty standard if you were to ask me. Strange how an otherwise normal T. pachanoi from Huaraz, which is probably not represented outside of anything but someone's residence, get's so much attention when you call it Huarazensis, which means nothing but, "from Huaraz."

~Michael~

• Like 7

Thanks for all the information :) ,

So maybe they should called T. pachanoi "Huaraz", like we call T.peruvianus "Icaro".

Cheers

jox

Jox I have seen it as that but may have been something Michael put up ICant remember?

• Like 1