The Corroboree
Jox

Successful De-grafts

Please tell me what you have De-grafted or what can't be.

I am not at the stage were I am needing to do this & I try to grow most of my cacti on there own roots, but this year I have started to graft some of my rare, slow or more difficult seedlings. My main reason for grafting is to get theses plants is to get them mature, for seed but mostly for there appearance, so I would like to put them back on the ground looking all natural.

I see heaps of grafts here a lots of members are doing them & I'm wondering do many members De-graft?

I have also read that some species can't be De-grafted, if you know of any of these please let me know.

Tell me your experiences & feed me your knowledge :)

Cheers

jox

• Like 1

I don't really see why anything couldn't be Degrafted

the only thing I know off that you wouldn't want to degraft are those coloured cacti

but that's only cos you can't grow them on thier own roots due to having no green pigment

So they can't photosynthisise

Even then it could be degrafted it would just need to be regrafted not planted out on its own roots

I'd love to hear wat people have to say on this matter I have a huge loph that probly should be degrafted this year

And I'm kinda shit scared to do it haha i don't really have any experience with doing it

I only have one small seedling graft wich got knocked off after it grew a bit I then regrafted it but after a while noticed it

Hadn't actually taken properly it started to shrivel and threw a root out the bottom of it so I just broke it off the Peres and planted it out

And it's grown heaps more roots now and is looking much better

That's about the extent of my degrafting and rooting out experience so I'd love to hear wat others have to say on the matter

• Like 2

i have a small cactus that i brought grafted has the smallest cactus on it(tag says miniaturist cacti ) one fell off when taking him home and that was over two months ago no roots yet has not got any bigger or smaller yet i am keepin my eye on it as no luck with de grafting here though one graft fell completely now all that is left is the dragon fruit bottom ( i think thats what it is) that is growing mad huh funny hey

I have degrafted one Trichocereus from a Selenicereus. This particular de-graft was really easy - just a clean blade, one swipe, and I had the scion mostly off (left a few areoles so that it would pup). Then I treated the scion as a normal cutting, left it to dry, and planted it.

However, it was not a success in the sense that the Trichocereus seedlings I never grafted are 2-3x bigger. : :huh:

• Like 1

I have de-grafted a number of loph's when the scion outgrows the stock ( mainly lophs ) and starts to grow down and around the surface of the stock. In my experience this eventually ends in rot.

Generally I have just sliced the scion and re-grafted immediately onto a larger stock with a larger surface area and root mass. and I have on a couple of of occasions let the scion callous and put in a dry perlite solution ( in the right conditions ... i.e not cold and wet ) and left to throw roots with success.

I have never heard of any particular species which will not throw roots if of a sufficient size, so i can't help you there. If you UTSE here you will find a wealth of information on de-grafts.

Tipz

Edited by tipz
  • Like 4

Some Astrophytum sp. are quite prone to rot so will likely be difficult to de-graft and re-root successfully.

Best to keep them on their own roots if they can hack it or graft on prickly pear and bury the stock under pebbles later on.

• Like 1

A lot of my pereskiopsis grafts always put out their own roots while grafted if i leave them on there a while. Maybe I'm just not watering them enough or not giving enough nutes because I am a little lazy about that. I just cut them off, let them callous, and stick them in soil.

• Like 1

I have a Loph that i grafted onto a myrtillocactus at a young age, it was about the size of a 20c piece. It grew quite fast and started getting lots of little lophs clumping from it. I cut all the little ones off so it remained a single head and let it grow to 5 cm or so. I then de grafted it and sat it in some dry sand to strike its own roots, misting occasionally. Its now 10- 12cm in its own pot and has an awesome spiraling growth pattern, and its actually flowering today. I might post a pic if i can find my camera.post-626-0-59575000-1346550738_thumb.jpgpost-626-0-21841600-1346550801_thumb.jpg

post-626-0-59575000-1346550738_thumb.jpg

post-626-0-21841600-1346550801_thumb.jpg

post-626-0-59575000-1346550738_thumb.jpg

post-626-0-21841600-1346550801_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gollum
  • Like 4

Lophs seem to do ok, haven't had much exp with anything else though.

Something I've found helpfull when de-grafting is to leave enough sicon behind so the graft will continue growing & provide you with a second plant (or back-up) incase you encounter any problems with the de-graft.

Only disadvantage is the higher buttons are cut, the more area exposed that will need time to callus.

Same thing for cutting stock, even some really small ones.

post-9498-0-47616100-1346565338_thumb.jp

They will grow :)

post-9498-0-47616100-1346565338_thumb.jpg

post-9498-0-47616100-1346565338_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

i got a euphorbia lactea crest from bunnings the other day, gafted onto something, do you think this would be ok to degraft?

• Like 1

Perfect thread!

Indeed some slowgrowers are considered pretty hard to root if you cut them above the union.

A.asterias is considered tough, compared to myriostigma f.e.

Aztekim and the like, are considered practically impossible

check out these great links

http://forum.auscactiforum.net/t1289-degrafting?highlight=degrafting

http://forum.auscactiforum.net/t773-degrafting-astrophytum?highlight=degrafting

http://forum.auscactiforum.net/t883-degrafting-turbinocarpus?highlight=degrafting

http://forum.auscactiforum.net/t113-degrafting-cacti?highlight=degrafting

====

I have rooted degrafted gymnocaliciums and lophophoras, they root, but they might take up to 6 months. even smaller loph pups will root.

Maybe its a better idea overall to keep a portion of the stock when cutting to degraft.

• Like 1

Maybe its a better idea overall to keep a portion of the stock when cutting to degraft.

Doesn't this defeat the purpose though. Why not just use very small stock height wise to begin with and bury it as stated above. Otherwise doing this isn't it likely to detach itself eventually anyway except this time it will be in the soil where you wont notice or be able to trat the rot? just a theory.

qualia those lactea crests are nearly indestructible it will root for sure. Mutant that Hanozano thread is awesome.

Edited by Stillman

That's great information mutant, Thanks for putting that up there.

The cacti like Astro's, Ariocarpi & Aztekium's are the species I've heard about being difficult to De-graft, & reading that information on the "Zuioroshi" De-graft is very interesting, has anyone used this method?