The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Skulking Lurker

Santalum Album

Hell all, I'm glad to have found this place as many of the topics being discussed are of much interest to me. I hope to both gain some knowledge, and be of some help in the future.

But first, I am looking for Santalum Album nuts. For some reason I'm finding this difficult. I'm currently growing S. Spicatum, but want to try the tropical S. Album.

Any responses appreciated.

welcome to the forums, lurker! u chose the least visited section to launch a hello in, i wish evrone was more into natives.

do u have any of the santalum seeds for trade? sorry can't help with the album though.

I do have a number of Santalum Acuminatum that I can trade. They are better known as Quandongs. I have the prized Nectarbrook Cultivar that has superior fruiting characteristics to 'bush' varieties.

I am currently still accumulating more Santalum Spicatum.

Santalum Album is what I'm interested in acquiring.

How easy are they to grow? Santalums are root parasites aren't they?

Do you sprout the seeds and plant them in with a Hakea or something.

Do they strictly require desert type climates or will a Melbourne climate suffice if you give them good drainage and a sunny/warm spot?

Good to see some action in here again :)

E D

How easy are they to grow? Santalums are root parasites aren't they?

Yes they are. Not that difficult once germination has been mastered, as they are not particularly fussy as to the host species.

Do you sprout the seeds and plant them in with a Hakea or something.

Currently, I use myoporum parvifolium as the seedling's host, then transplant out and use either olives, pistachio, or acacia as secondary hosts. Most native species are ok.

Do they strictly require desert type climates or will a Melbourne climate suffice if you give them good drainage and a sunny/warm spot?

They now grow in desert type situations, only because of over-collection and clearing of the better lands. Before this happened, they were extremely common, and will grow almost anywhere, including Melbourne. Drought and frost tolerent, they thrive given conditions nicer than a desert.

Good to see some action in here again

Obviously been a bit quiet !

Hello to you skulking, Have some Album that I managed to source but have not had the opportunity so far as to try germinating them, would be happy to share what I have and perhaps you could grow some of the seed out for me as part of the trade?

email me privately and we will set something up

Edited by Tripitaka

S L. Is it too late to propagate the Santalum Acuminatum now?

Have you got enough for a non-Santalum album trade?

Any other Santalum species? Santalum spicatum, S.lanceolatum, S. murrayanum etc..

Here are some nice pages: http://www.anbg.gov.au/gnp/interns-2002/sa...acuminatum.html http://farrer.csu.edu.au/ASGAP/APOL7/sep97-1.html

I seem to have answered on of my own questions

quote:

The optimum temperature for germination is 15° C so winter is the best time to sow.

[ 03. March 2003, 16:42: Message edited by: Ed Dunkel ]

There's a 3m high Santalum album at Mt Coot tha botanic Gardens. It is not near any tree, so unlikely to be parasitic. Kinda confused me.

They can be parasitic with a hoste of different plants, shrubs, ground covers grasses. All at the same time.

Their roots can search out for at least 10 meters.

Was there anything like that around?

S L. Is it too late to propagate the Santalum Acuminatum now?

I don't believe so.

Have you got enough for a non-Santalum album trade?

I think so.

Any other Santalum species? Santalum spicatum, S.lanceolatum, S. murrayanum etc..

I could relinquish a few S. spicatum.

Ed, yeah, plenty of groundcovers around. Trees about 15-25m away.

All Perth people

go to the CALM science division in bentley - a small white building at the back of the masive admin complex (mmm see a problem there)

They have several mature S album that produce quite a lot of seed each year (season?)

word is soaking in gibberilic acid for 24hours before planting (relatively fresh seed) gives up to 95% germ rates

if not there are always volunteer seedlings around the base

transplant into a pot with a host plant and keep moist until taken

success rate not huge but OK

S album is a strong outcrosser i belief so try an source plants from different places

I think this species is vastly underrated as a crop for northern australia in the savannah sections - it is quite fast growing

Were would one conveniently get a hold of some gibberilic acid?

I guess the gibberilic acid trick would work with the other native santalums.

Any GOOD hydro shop will have it, it's used to dip clones in(for new root growth) :)

A S. spicatum seed came up yesterday. I cracked the seeds and soaked it. Placed outside in a sandy mix and several weeks later it pops a root down.

The Quandong seeds is still siting there tho'

I'm waiting for some gibberilic acid, maybe that will get it going.

Cheers,

What concentration is GA3 used at for promoting germination in seedlings? Can't recall- is there any info on the packs any of youse guys got out there?

I got some lovely bodo man love from the jungle to the beach

Edited by darcy

I was wondering about that... why anyone would want leggy plants was a mystery but then so are the lures of pot, speaking purely personally :-)

The other thing GA3 has been used for was to induce fertilisation of non-compatible hybrid varieties in some ornamental spp- the mechanism remains undiscovered.

Maybe its like giving two incompatible people alcohol. This would make fertilisation easier. Maybe it just gets them drunk and they don't care who they mate with :D

http://www.shaman-australis.com/publicpics...andalflower.jpg

From CALM science building

Album is native from India to Timor but has been massively overharvested. It has been an item of trade for centuries.

This is S album and it is native to the dry tropics where it can form large stands. I dont think it likes frost

Australian sandalwood is S spicatum which grows in the semi-arid region. As has been said it CAN grow elsewhere but researchg in WA suggests areas with more than 500mm rainfall get much faster growth but much lower oil content.

In the 500mm belt it can be harvested in as little as 12 years while desert grown trees can take anything up to 80 years.

Coming from the deserts it is tolerant of drought, extremes of hot and cold, im not sure of salinity.

In WA it generally like acacia accuminata the raspberry jam wattle

As it was once a keystone species for the semiarid lands of australia it should really be encouraged as part of any shelter belting and reveg work on farms.

Since it disappeared a number of mammals like the stick nest rat disappeared with it.

As it was once a keystone species for the semiarid lands of australia it should really be encouraged as part of any shelter belting and reveg work on farms.

YES! And I love it since I know it!

I am in a more or less 500mm area... I want to reveg!

Australian santalwood is spicatum, acuminatum, or both?