The Corroboree
MagicalMedic

Topic titles should make it clear what the thread is about

Been trying to search through old posts, and heaps of Topic Titles aren't very helpful in telling you what's in the thread, this is pretty much the case on lots of internet forums but its something we should be aware of - If the topic title isn't clear its harder to find what you want and newbs will wind up asking the same questions more often & also people who might be able to help you are less likely to read your post because they won't know what it's about.

Good topic titles are mostly important for the use of the search function though; the same questions and topics probably get posted over and over again partly because people are lazy and don't search previous topics, but it's also because the search function doesn't work very well if titles hardly reflect what's in the thread.

In a nutshell: Good topic titles with keywords and maybe add a description for extra detail = saves everyone heaps of time and makes the site way more functional. Awesome

edited to seem like less of a dick like I'm telling people what to do. Its just a thought

Edited by MagicalMedic
  • Like 2

Hi MagicalMedic.

Welcome to the forums. I don't want to come across as a prat, but I'm sure I will.

I've noticed about 20 posts from you today, many of which are dragging up old threads that we've all finished with (generally a no-no by unwritten rule unless you're adding something useful and relevant).

Now this post complaining about the forum you've only just joined. Chill out a bit and get to know us a bit before offering advice.

Hope you stick around. Enthusiasm is great and I don't want to quell yours, but I feel I wasted a good bit of time reading your irrelevant posts tonight.

Peace.

• Like 3

Someone had to say something, no? :blush:

• Like 1

I think a factor here is that often the topic evolves in a way the original poster never expected. Thus awesome info can be found in unusually named threads. I don't really think there is much that can be done about this really.

After all this is an internet forum and not an encyclopedia, so digging the gold from the dirt requires some effort.

Edited by Alice

Someone had to say something, no? :blush:

tehe..

You mean something about the new user who has been rummaging through the Bitch/Gripe vaults, started a thread telling everyone how to title their threads, and then had the audacity to add a Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas avatar...

You mean say something about that? :lol:

I kid...but yeah, may relax and get to know the vibe of the place, MagicalMedic.

Ha shit I stepped on everyones toes and now look like a dick. To clarify, I posted several time before I realised that posting in old threads drags everything to the front. I'm not new to the forums but I am new to posting.

And I did realize the post about titles being unhelpful was a bit high and mighty from new user, but I realised the importance of this when I was trying to search old topics to make sure I didn't ask the same questions that had been asked before, as mods and regulars in particular seem to very much dislike seeing the same shit being asked by newbs over and over again

As for the fear & loathing avatar... I guess I'll change it.

hi have a cow man

hi have a cow man

Is this where I ask what that means and you're like 'moo've the fuck back to where you came from'? :) I don't get it.

Also thought I'd add that hopefully you guys realised that most of my posts in the major forums were constructive and well considered questions, I joined to participate productively not to fuck around and annoy people

I won't be dicking around in the gripes or other time wasting threads from now on. When posting there I assumed hardly anyone reads them, not realising a lot of users will sign on to a load of additions to old threads that were pointless to begin with

Sorry all

Magical medic welcome , everyone is different ... my internet persona is close to real life , i dont say much , i dont have many opinions, mostly peace and love...There is all types on here , sure... be what you are .. i for one will accept yo :innocent_n:

lol @ '''moo''ve

Edited by bℓσωηG

Magical medic welcome , everyone is different ...

Thanks man :) feels good to be welcomed despite committing a few faux pais' already

I think a factor here is that often the topic evolves in a way the original poster never expected. Thus awesome info can be found in unusually named threads. I don't really think there is much that can be done about this really.

After all this is an internet forum and not an encyclopedia, so digging the gold from the dirt requires some effort.

Yeah totally true, evolving topics are impossible to predict so there's always searching involved to find the goodness. Good descriptions still make it heaps easier in general though

I agree that it's kind of weird that someone who has made some netiquette mistakes in their short time here has started a thread like this. But forget who started the thread, and listen to the message...I think it's a bloody good one. Now these here forums probably have fewer problems than most in these regards, but there are still a lot of threads (mostly in chill space) that have titles that don't tell you wtf the thread is about. Titles like "wow, I want one" or "check THIS out" or "help needed". Or in the trading forum, threads like "cheap loph seeds available!", and then you go to the thread and it's like "Hi, as per the thread title, does anyone have some cheap loph seeds available?". Then there are your seriously NSFW threads that do NOT have "NSFW" in the title, though I believe they get moderated pretty quickly.

Also, be aware that the descriptions do not show up on the main page or the recent topics list. You have to be in the subforum to see them. So a thread like:

Title: Have a look at this

Description: Pictures of dead bodies

is not okay, because people who really would not click the link if they saw the description might navigate to it from the front page without realising what it's about.

Mods have the authority to change thread titles, so where such a naff title hides an awesome thread I hope they make use of it.

MagicalMedic, welcome. Your point is very much appreciated. As ballzac said, listen to the message not the messenger. Delivery could have been better ;)

Thanks for the welcome Torsten, yeah I sounded like a bit of a wanker particularly as new to posting & not really my place, it retrospectively could have sounded much more chilled out too. Like ballzac said anyway this site is comparatively really good to navigate and find whats going on, so far from my comment meaning to sound like I was complaining I just thought it was worth posting because I hadn't seen it posted elsewhere