The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mac

lophophora Sp

i was just wondering if aussie members have any type of lophophora planted out in the ground, or know of anyone who has done this, if so any comments on state climate etc ,

since im in a semi arid area i thought of planting a couple of my seedlings out in the garden when they are big enough using course creek sand in a deep hole for drainage

a little info on my climate may help

The soils of the bioregion are predominantly desert loams and red clays, lithosols and calcareous red earths. There are also solonised brown soils, texture contrast soils and both red and brown clays.

Mean annual temperature

17-20°C

Minimum average monthly temperature

3.8-5.5°C

Maximum average monthly temperature

32.1-35.8°C

Mean annual rainfall

137-257mm

Minimum average monthly rainfall

6-19mm

Maximum average monthly rainfall

16-39mm

So pretty much sandy red loam soil with low humidity around here but it dose get cool during winter although it did not effect my potted lophs or other cacti

6 month old HBWR lost its leaves during the coldest months if that gives a indication of frosts down here during winter months

Edited by mac

I have wondered about trying this myself...

I started typing but my mouse closed IE.

So again.

Graft onto a columnar and plant out for a year,degraft and root for a year in a pot outside,depot and plant up.

A three year plan.

central west nsw , in the ground, positioned under shrubs and granite rock edges to protect from the frost.

and they are pumping!!! as always birds and rats normally have a chew, but its never the whole plant and they soon recover, the occasional chew seems to infact stimulate growth.

thanks guys just the info i was after B)

i have not babied the potted seedlings too much they were germinated & then left to fend for themselves outdoors i did bring them into a fish tank for the coldest part of winter but they are now back outdoors in low humidity they are around 8-9 months old & seem to be doing ok so far but will need some shade once things start to warm up down this way

thanks again ill try grafting some when i get more confident & may see how a couple go planted out once they mature some more

my 2 older potted lophs i think ill leave be because they are now a little larger than a 10 cent coin unsure on age maybe 2 yrs :scratchhead: ? & seem to be going well

Edited by mac

As long as your microclimate isn't too bad, it should be do-able. You may want to look at planting in pots in the ground, in holes that have been lined with larger pebbles for added drainage. Then just top with stone mulch to cover the rim of the pot. The basis for this idea is to minimise the risk of root rot and the constant contact with moist soil. Would love to see some photos if anyone has tried lophs in the ground.

Garbage, by the first step 'graft onto columnar' you mean a columnar in the ground???

Where abouts in far west and central west? I am close to Bourke and the conditions seem ideal, except that the soil does not drain well.

Summer rain could spell doom

Edited by dbbard

Where abouts in far west

as far west as ya can get im just on the NSW side of the SA border (semi arid zone)

It has been done...

There used to be a 35cmish Lophophora williamsii f. caespitosa clump

growing in a garden in Mildura, for many years.

(unfortunately this specimen was eventually stolen :( ).

Lophs are not as sensitive as is sometimes supposed..just slow.

Edited by culebra22