The Corroboree
t st tantra

secrets of lilly and lotus

i've mentioned this before when i first read an article in the entheogen reveiw but after verifying it i repeat the info as i have found this to be a truly profound experience.

seems definately a narcotic entheogen.

'the secrets'

1,the effect becomes more pronounced the more times you use it.after a few times it can be quite deep.and again i say profound!

2,like sally you need to be in a fairly stimulus free environment,like meditation.though once your used to it the effects come easier.

i was also inspired by emboden who wrote of the use of water lillies by the ancient egyptians and mayans.he mentions mixtures with mandrake, poppy and possibly toad venom.another admixture would be canabis.

back to profound,you may come to beleive a reveiw of these culture is required in light of the nature of the water lilly experience.

all water lillies i tried were active,pink,yellow and purple,as was the sacred lotus.a few petals were smoked,the whole flower pod appears active.a tea of slightly higher dosage was active.a feeling of wellness continued for up to a day afterward.

this needs to be investigated as a treatment for addiction especially to opiates.

t s t .

this shows promise, i have a stack of water lillies coming up on one of my dams. not sure what colour scheme they are yet, not sure also if the blue lotus will survive my climate.

Interesting.

Just picked some blue lotus flowers today.

Planned to soak them in alc and drink after a while, now I'm thinking "extract".

Thanks

SAB sells blue lotus flowers (which isn't a lotus actually). Hopefully, if we get more stock in this season, we can offer a 5X extract.

Torsten--that sounds like a great idea.

the only commercially available extract i've seen comes from the US, is rather expensive(US$100), & is made from Blue Lotus imported from Australia.. :rolleyes:

please let us know if you do.

a couple days ago i had some pain from my rls and decided i to try some water lilly flower for pain relief.smoked only a couple petals and had no more pain,i'll certainly be investigating this effect whenever the chance presents.

a couple days after writting the message above i realized i had not upheld the sab tradition of scientific rigourousness,thus i apolagize for not refering to sacred lotus[nelumbo nucifera] and the nymphaea genus of water lilly.i see also in the herb book that while the root of many nymphaea species is used herbally the root of nymphaea tuberosa is concidered poisonous.

i dont find any need for enhanced extracts my dose is fairly low anyway.

i cant find a better word than profound for what i experience with this plant,it suggests 'soma' and the lotus of the 'lotus eaters'.i can imagine civilizations crumbling and cities being deserted as the elite are effected by a water lilly drought.i assume that a society could only produce enough lotus for a proportion of its population,especially for daily usage,and the maintaining of the feeling of well being.

t s t .

[ 11. November 2003, 07:58: Message edited by: t st tantra ]

I really enjoy red wine with lotus steeped in it for 3-4 hours. Potency varies with time of harvest and storage method, and can't say it does much for the taste of most reds ( did find one but forgot, like you do )

It's the drink for summer for me. A couple of glasses gives you that warm, centred feeling, without the slightest loss of coordination, and generally I'm pretty happy to sit at that level, specially at BBQs which start in the middle of the day: its a social buzz which doesn't detract from the flow.

And it allows me to choose whether to keep kicking on, or to go home and work like I should, when generally after half a bottle isn't even a question. I can almost always wait an hour, go back to work and ride there unimpaired.

I may have posted this before- but I can't recommend it too highly

I have had excellent results smoking a mixture of Nymphaea caerulea Flowers, Nelumbo Nucifera 5x (both from omchi) and a little shiva. It turned me and my partner into naughty kids when smoked at the end of a night clubbing. We were both suprised with the strength of the effects, I have tried to repeat this experience, but was unable to get back to that place as I had ran out of the extract and was mixing the Nelumbo Nucifera Flowers, Nymphaea caerulea Flowers and a little shiva. The 5x extract was the key.

I have also tried the wine method with Nymphaea caerulea Flowers, made a nice drop of red taste like crap(like viniger) but the effects were definate euphoria and pleasant body stone, slept really well that night. Definately worth repeating.

[ 11. November 2003, 09:45: Message edited by: Jack ]

It does appear to work well as an extract too...

So, do you get rid of the green and just use the petals? is it ok to hang em up an dry them? which is better alcohol or boiling up in water and "extracting"? and how many in a bottle of wine?

I looked for info on the web and its sparse and vague to say the least.

i pick the whole flower head,break it up and put it in a paper bag to dry.i have used the green part[calyx] and also the capsule itself.all parts seem active.

t s t .

hmmm... this all sounds very encouraging. It is apparently relatively easy to isolate nuciferine from Nelumbo nucifera. I reckon it would be interesting to compare the crude extract with pure nuciferine. I once posted the original isolation technique for those that want to give it a go.

It's a quite pleasant feeling and I can imagine getting used to it pretty easily.

The pity is, you need quite a few, like 20 or so for one oral dose...

For the wine, gom?

I find it depends on time of harvest, and post harvest storage as I said before. 8-10g dried per bottle for the earlier harvested stuff, and 6-8g dried for the height of summer batches. One particular batch of fresh stuff we got around summer solstice ( we used about 25g fresh ) knocked me and a mate off our chairs after a large wineglass full, but like I said its still a social buzz, much more so than alcohol alone. And maybe I'm just a sensitive little snowflake, eh Rev

I just did a food acid extraction, of 20 fresh flowers...

well, 19, i dropped one in my wine glass...

as i said it was worthwile...

a few months ago i was given some blue lotus and soaked it in whiskey for a day, and when i drank it it knocked me out for half an hour, it was very strong....

just a thought trying to sort things out.

i think i could roll a j of 5X sally and pass it around in a social setting,especially a noisy one,and very little would happen.but the same j in the right set and setting,well u probably know!

this is what some have also experienced with the lilly.though it seems from the reports above it is certainly also a social buzz.

what do you think?is my first statement even true?

t s t .

The first statement about the 5xsally j. in a social environment?

Most likely, because not knowing what it is, they probably wouldn't smoke it right, and sally in a j is not the best choice anyway, and the one's that would feel something would probably shut up first and later say:

"I've had the strangest thing happen to me..."

I can fully imagine that the blue lotus was a social drug since it has a very distinct buzz, very easy to get used to I imagine...

well I won't have any until I collect some more I guess....

Gom, it sounds like the alcoholic extract was much stronger? I think the ethanol is quite important in extracting the goodies out of nelumbo. Having said that, I'm not sure whether the ethanol content of wine would be enough to account for the activity of the wine if nuciferine is indeed the major active since, apparently, even the HCl salt of nuciferine is substantially more soluble in chloroform (relatively low polarity) than in water or dilute aqueous HCl. That means that a food acid water extract is probably less effective than an extraction into spirits.

If you don't want to drink the booze then acetone would probably yield an active extract.

Does anyone know is acetone the solvent generally used in making Nelumbo 5X?

This morning I picked a few beautiful blue lillies, consuming the petals from four large pods.

I have to agree in describing the experience truly profound. I would go so far as to say the effect provided 'opiate satisfaction' !!!

I'm very excited but am wary. Are there any known nasty side effects from daily use of lilly?

daily use for over 2 weeks has produced no problems.

there are other actives besides nuciferine.

back to my sally point,i found that sab 5X was active in a j,it was sugested that it burnt better because of the wax.a few times now i have watched teev in the dark after smoking lilly and in many ways it is similar to sally and certainly entheogenic.i overidentify with the movie to the extent i can think it is telling me my life story and that event x,from the movie is about to happen to me.there is a similarity to visual qualities of the two plants.

t s t .

collected some pink ones today whilst kayaking about, will try a brandy soak when they are a little drier.

:D

ah lotus

well... if anyone hasnt tried it I will make sure there be plenty on hand at EB3

you can smoke it, eat it, make a tea, soak it in wine or brandy .. anything you want

I find its the kind of herb you come to miss. I dont think about it all winter and then as it warms up i rememeber the exquisite smell of the perfume and the euphoria of a good fresh batch in red. A warm fuzzy feeling up your spine and a relaxed stupid grin that spreads over your face.

Does wonders to crap red wine. Dont use a good red unless you have to and most especially dont use 90% alcohol or white wine - both foul

Im going to pick myself up some cheap brandy to make an extract

As has been said theyre all active but to varying degrees - im interested in recollecting the ones i gave to Gom - rememeber that purple one? (The whiskey bottle batch)

Its possible that some cultivars may be stronger than the Blue lotus - only experimentation will tell

Does anyone know of the contradictions or problems associated with the lotus?

I was told by a friend that they destroy the neuro transmitters in the brain more than most other substances.

Anyway I'm just wondering

Peace :)

Once again i recomend Erowid for info: http://www.erowid.org/plants/bluelotus/bluelotus.shtml

"Rumored to contain aporphine or apomorphine (6a-beta-aporphine-10,11-diol [Merck]) - a dopamine agonist - as well as perhaps nuciferine (1,2-dimethoxy-aporphine)."

Also, does anyone know of any spots where they might be growing in sydney around know? (i thought they normally flowered late summer)

Destroys neurotransmitters eh? Sounds worthy of further investigation. Maybe we should take some blood samples before and after to check.