The Corroboree
Storm crow

Calling all artists to Get Rooted!

I am unsure of the correct space to write this so this space will do. As some of you are aware, I'm organising an EGA-like event in the Blue Mountains called Get Rooted! I have an image in my head and I would like to put the concept out there to see if it inspires any artwork.

I see a figure standing tall, with their arms outstretched and raised to the heavens. The sun or moon is shining down upon them and they are basking in the glow of this light. At the waist their body morphs from human into a tree whose roots are visibly grasping the earth firmly.

I could describe my version more clearly but I'd rather get a general concept out there :)

what kind of artists (will be contributing)?

Me maybe, I'll give this one a go, it's a cool concept and strangely enough one running through my head the week after ega. seriously, was thinking of the song simon diamond by the coral - where he swapped his legs for roots and turned into a tree, and the radiohead "there there" video clip where tom yorke turns into a tree.

i think a mythological half human half tree creation would be a great way to show our symbiosis with plants and nature as a whole.

Also this might be my tarded interpretation but as an artist I have had my head up in the clowds too much and i need to put my feet on the ground and get rooted, get grounded by creating something instead of floating around - something like that. cheers for the opportunity to do something I'm a little bit busy with another project at the moment but can get started on this in a day or so.

i think a mythological half human half tree creation would be a great way to show our symbiosis with plants and nature as a whole.

It's been done - LINK :lol:

what kind of artists (will be contributing)?

Those who wish to :)

*copy and pasted from the AE forums*

"The event will indeed end with a doof and I'm looking for people interested in sharing their creative works there :) There will also be a creativity space, a dome dedicated to people being able to share their creative works: art, music, writing, etc. I was so inspired by meeting so many creative people at EGA that I really want to have a space where people can share that creativity at Get Rooted!"

Me maybe, I'll give this one a go, it's a cool concept and strangely enough one running through my head the week after ega. seriously, was thinking of the song simon diamond by the coral - where he swapped his legs for roots and turned into a tree, and the radiohead "there there" video clip where tom yorke turns into a tree.

Wonderful!

That's the idea, at least from my perspective :) I'm not for stifling anyone's creative interpretation by imposing my own ideas, but you're spot on with what has been going through my head with that image. Being colour-blind, I was dissuaded from expressing myself in that form. I clearly remember being told at the age of 7 that my colour choice was 'abysmal' by my teacher. So I use words for now to paint my pictures :)

Ace - Wow thanks for the link, that's one amazing story!

Edit: can't write for shit after spending a very enjoyable night out last night :)

Edited by Tarnicus

wandjina would surely be ur lady hey?? her art is amazing. get that creative noggin' behind it and u will have ur man tree hybrid in no time. hope u dont mind wan!!!!

:blush: thanks for the vote of confidence, but I reckon el Duderino is your man...anyways, my head is stuffed full of tawny frog mouths and Tarot atm ;)

I can do naked performance art :devil:

Paint myself white and stand in a field :drool2:

i would buy a ticket just for that!

would make quite the contrast with ur long red beard.

maybee we could team up and do a nude moonlight performance duo ronny?

have no experience innude performances but willing to be trained.

How are you going with that design El Duderino? Here is what I have come up with so far.

gallery_3332_147_248113.jpg

DAAAAYUM!!! That's nice. seems you beat me to it.

a bit of competition never hurt, usually brings out the best... GAME ON!

I really really like your design and theres only slight changes i'd make overall. point is i gotta come up with a cranking design that beats that and is totally different, should be fun, wish i didn't have a fuckload of shit to do, but i can always make time for some fun like this.

Edited by El Duderino

Yeah, I think ultimately Tarnicus wants people to throw their creative ideas in a he will run a poll to see which is liked most by the people within the community. We have until mid April 2008 [though I guess he will want them done by then, so they can be put on the flyer etc.] Also he mentioned that all the artworks will most likely end up on the Get Rooted! website. So looks like we will have a chance to get a bit of our work out there into the community regardless of whether it ends up on the the flyer or not, which is good enough for me.

Really keen to see your work El Duderino and I'm sure you can better me. I am more of a dabbler at this point and am teaching myself how to use this media as an creative tool with the help of the best teachers I know of, as you can probably see.

The plants are connected to the spirit of the creative mind and soul. Let's listen to what they have say and all work creatively together.

Just a though. If you were keen to do a couple of smaller works together with [i'm thinking web banner type stuff], maybe we can have some interesting collaborations for the website.

Edited by Phosphene_Dream

I like the idea of collaboration. I've done visual remix projects with friends where we toss files back and forth via email and remix. I'd be up for something like that if any one else is. My preferred format is Illustrator :wub: (vector) but I can Photoshop too B)

let me know if you're up for it

Sounds good cycle. I only use photoshop. Will PM you about it shortly.

-Phos

My preferred format is Illustrator :wub: (vector)\

please bless me with your knowledge! vectors are so sexy, but trying to figure out illustrator is a headfuck. I guess I was just born and raised on photoshop.

please bless me with your knowledge! vectors are so sexy, but trying to figure out illustrator is a headfuck. I guess I was just born and raised on photoshop.

Illustrator is not that difficult to learn, especially if you are an old hand at Photoshop... what things can't you figure out?

Yeah, I think ultimately Tarnicus wants people to throw their creative ideas in a he will run a poll to see which is liked most by the people within the community. We have until mid April 2008 [though I guess he will want them done by then, so they can be put on the flyer etc.] Also he mentioned that all the artworks will most likely end up on the Get Rooted! website. So looks like we will have a chance to get a bit of our work out there into the community regardless of whether it ends up on the the flyer or not, which is good enough for me.

You got it :) And not just on the website but at the site location as well. I really want the artists of this community to be the ones to decorate the space we'll be sharing for 4-8 days, depending upon if you are a participant or actively involved in setting up the gathering.

Gotta fly, meeting my college English teacher to chat about PoetsPace amongst other things :)

The draft proposal is just around the corner, I still need to chat to Ronny before releasing it.

Oh and collaboration is a great idea!

Extremely cool work Phosphene!! Perhaps we could do a huge collaboration of different banners/poster/pics and offer them to torsten to spruce up the corroboree with some funky banners? Not sure if he'd be interested, but I think it'd be a fun idea. Obviously, Tarnicus was in first, but perhaps after that?

Just wish I had some sort of skill when it came to them image programs :(

Extremely cool work Phosphene!! Perhaps we could do a huge collaboration of different banners/poster/pics and offer them to torsten to spruce up the corroboree with some funky banners? Not sure if he'd be interested, but I think it'd be a fun idea. Obviously, Tarnicus was in first, but perhaps after that?

That sounds like a great idea! I don't need to claim 'first' on anything, express your creativity and share it wherever you feel it is best needed :)

top work tarnicus, and all the creators! its uber appreciated! :worship: