The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
M S Smith

Narcotic and Hallucinogenic Cacti of the New World

Dear friends, many of you have in the past received various versions or section of my manuscript Narcotic and Hallucinogenic Cacti of the New World, or else have seen it at either The Last Peyotero or TheForbiddenFruit.com web sites. I have not made any online additions to the material since the summer of 1998. ( see http://www.theforbiddenfruit.com/articles/...tic%20Cacti.htm ) I have recently bound the newest material for sale in a 90 page 5.5” x 8” perfect bound book. There are no illustrations besides the cover, making it full of information regarding 68 cacti species and over 20 non-cacti species. Many play into peyote ethnology, but a large number also relate to Trichocereus species of the Andes, and even Amazonian use of cacti for the altering of consciousness. I have even included a very detailed reckoning of the Lophophora genus and all its "varieties." This is a very multidisciplinary work in that it discuss’ a range of area’s, including botany, ethnobotany, mythology, chemistry, psychopharmacology, and even the travels and travails of the modern contemporary “entheogen” community.

If you are interested in what is to date the most inclusive study of the subject I would be happy to forward the introduction along with ordering information. Wholesale can be discussed with the publisher.

Please email me privately at [email protected] and give me a few days to reply.

Sincerely,

Michael S. Smith

I have already made arrangements with the publisher to retail this book in australia.

To reduce import costs and enable me to sell it at the recommended retail price (plus tax) it is getting sent via sea mail, which means it won't be here for a few weeks. Orders can be placed anytime.

The "Closet Cactus Care" booklet by Michael is already available in the "objects" section.

For those of you who might not be in Australia (a place of my dreams). Thanks Torsten!

The book is $17.95. This may seem like a high price, but this is a small printing and is very much a specialty item that has taken me years of research and attention. This work is not just slapped together, but is very academically based. Many items I bring up for the first time in a generally available book and I also clear up many of the false rumors surrounding DMT in cacti as well as ethnological aspects that have been misrepresented in past publications. It covers the following cacti as well as many others that are not directly mentioned in the table of contents. I promise you that you will not feel your $17.95 went to waste. This book will be THE book on the subject for years to come and will honestly make you consider throwing Adam Gottlieb's Peyote and other Psychedelic Cacti in the garbage. And don't think this compares to the online version. The book covers more material many times over.

Michael

Ariocarpus agavoides

A. fissuratus

A. kotschoubeyanus

A. retusus

Armatocereus laetus

Astrophytum asterias

A. capricorne

A. myriostigma

Aztekium ritterii

Carnegiea gigantea

Coryphantha compacta

C. elephantidens

C. macromeris

C. macromeris var. runyonii

C. palmerii

C. rosea

Dolichothele longimamma

Echinocactus spp.

Echinocactus grandis

E. grusonii

E. visnaga

Echinocereus salm-dyckianus

E. triglochidiatus

Epiphyllum sp. unknown

Epithalantha micromeris

Epostoa lanata

Gymnocalycium spp.

Leuchtenbergia principis

Lophophora diffusa

L. diffusa var. koehresii

L. fricii

L. jourdaniana

L. williamsii

L. williamsii var. caespitosa

L. williamsii var. decipiens

L. williamsii var. lutea

Mammillaria spp.

Mammillaria craigii

M. grahamii

M. grahamii var. oliviae

M. heydeii

Mamillopsis senilis

Matucana madisoniorum

Neoraimondia macrostibas

Obregonia denegrii

Opuntia cylindrica

O. leptocaulis

O. sp. unknown

Pachycereus pecten-aboriginum

P. pringlei

Pelecyphora aselliformis

P. pseudopectinata

Selenicereus grandiflorus

Solisia pectinata

Strombocactus disciformis

Trichocereus bridgesii

T. grandiflorus

T. macrogonus

T. pachanoi

T. peruvianus

T. peruvianus (short spine)

T. scopulicola

T. sp. "Juul's Giant"

T. sp. unknown

T. terscheckii

T. validus

T. werdermannianus

Turbinicarpus pseudomacrochele

T. pseudopectinatus

You can get your copy of N&H Cacti by sending cash, check or money order for $17.95 + $3.00 shipping to:

Trout's Notes

PO Box 161061

Austin, TX USA 78716

Payable to "Trout's Notes"

For more info write to [email protected]

For those outside of Australia just a further note: My 14 page Closet Cactus Care (with photos and illustrations) is also available from Trout's Notes for $4.95 + $1.00 shipping or free shipping if ordered with N&H Cacti.

CCC covers seed and soil selection, sterization techniques, sowing, creating the right environment, watering, outdoor growing, transplanting, grafting, winter storage, and growing for aesthetics.

Michael

Torsten, I just did a major ad blitz to a nice number of discussion groups on cacti and mentioned how our Aussie friends should order both N&HC and CCC from you. I left your home page address (come to think of it I should have asked first). Anyhow, I hope you get some bites. Thanks for the support.

Michael

Thanks for the extra exposure!!

The support works both ways smile.gif

the forbidden fruit is/was archived somewhere.......erowid maybe,but i cant locate it.

t s t .

I enjoy the versions of the book that I have been able to read.

In at least one of them however there is no description for T pachanoi, none at all, despite the pachanoi section being one of the larger entries.

However descriptions aren't lacking for the other SP allies.

Does the book contain a description of T pachanoi now that it has been revised?

His newest book (which is excellent) does contain sections for T. pachanoi as well as many other Trichocereus cacti.

Another book for my wish list to be filled shortly.

I enjoy the versions of the book that I have been able to read.

In at least one of them however there is no description for T pachanoi, none at all, despite the pachanoi section being one of the larger entries.

However descriptions aren't lacking for the other SP allies.

Does the book contain a description of T pachanoi now that it has been revised?

Archaea, there is a T. pachanoi description in both the NHC of 1998 through SMC of 2003, the Rainbow Gardens version which is what is still sold. It is the same in each and is minimal to say the least, and most certainly not written in any manner even slightly suggestive of being for botanical identification. Calling the comments "observations" would fit better.

I can't help but feel you want to make them out to be something more than they are simply to attack them as being insufficient.

And yes, there are descriptions lacking for other Trichocereus, including T. peruvianus which is just about as large an entry as T. pachanoi.

~Michael~

I made a mistake about the dates as well as the descriptive values...

I think the book is nice enough, I spent a few hours yetserday using it for researching Mammillaria.

I think that Smith could do much better now in relation to species form descriptions as well as other aspects.

I think he should revise.

I really should, but I'm busy reading Frazer's "Folklore in the Old Testament: Studies in Comparative Religion, Legend, and Law" so as to further my expertise in "theology". I wanted the unabridged version, but it was more than I was willing to spend so I got Frazer's own abridgment. :P

~Michael~

I'm patiently awaiting your next book Mr.Smith!