The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
twich

tapered jars

Would plastic (tapered) jars be ok for mycology or do the have to be glass only. Anyone tried using plastic?

For heat treat and incubation? or just as a fruiting container?

As long as you can create a seal, it should work; plastics will just have a quicker life that glass...

For Pressure cooking, you are looking at HDPE (high density polyethylene) with the recycle rating of 2 or 5 (I think, check it up, don't quote me :) )

They should be able to reach 121celsius for a few hours (I think??)

Anway, you can pretty much use any vessel to incubate/fruit from...as long as you can keep an enclosed sterile environment for the initial grain (or whatever) incubation.

I haven't tried it, but often mean to keep those squat square 1L(?) Goulburn Valley Fruit Tubs...I think they are #5 and look good for 'shrooms i reckon...

One problem to look out for....sometime the plastic lids are of a lesser grade than the tub itself...so if you PC, the lid would melt...

Edited by gerbil

The 400ml containers you get your rice in from the local Chinese will withstand 45 min in an autoclave although you don't want to stack them as the weight deforms the plastic. You can get identical containers from many supermarkets and they work just as well. Probably best to let them cool in the PC until you would be comfortable holding them.

Good quality canning jars can be found at Kmart.. both tappered and not

Yep, kmart has them. Look or ask for "Cucinaware". Well, thats the brand at Vic kmarts anyway, it took me bit to find them and being male i hate asking for directions, :lol: but is sure is a hell of alot easier

PASTA SAUCE JARS!!! :BANGHEAD2: PF tek blows! Go cased grain and save money on jars.

yeah! Dolmio (i think?) has some good ones out at the moment...nice, wide and tall...Probably the best i've seen around since the large circular coffee jars nescafe used to package in (mine are slowly dieing :/)

PASTA SAUCE JARS!!! :BANGHEAD2: PF tek blows! Go cased grain and save money on jars.

Those pasta sauces cost heaps more than the Cucinaware jars, same as most jars that ppl buy with foodstuffs in them. A tapered jar does make it a little easier and quicker to get your substrate out BUT they do only go up to one pint(tapered). There are 1ltr Cucinaware jars that are only 20 cents or so more expensive than the 1 pint jars.

img0139af6.jpg

^ 1 ltr jar.

And those pasta sauces are what blows man. Store bought pasta sauce tastes like shitte, i much prefer my home made sauces. :P

I get boxes of empty sauce jars from good sammies for a few dollars for a box full. Also, many people will also have enough empty jars already lying about to start their first batch. And I aggree, those pasta sauces do blow, but I hate all italian tamato based sauces. If u are gona buy pasta suaces, buy Paul Newmans, He's donated over $200 000 000 to charities from all his fundraising businesses. Top bloke!

. If u are gona buy pasta suaces, buy Paul Newmans, He's donated over $200 000 000 to charities from all his fundraising businesses. Top bloke!

*off topic*

Yeah, Paul Newmans stuff usaully aint too bad, i recommend trying his "light honey mustard dressing". Sensational.

I just use tupperware jars - have no prolem with even very longterm autoclaving or pressure cooking.

There's a New product out called "lock 'n' lock" It's air/liquid tight and the seal is high temp silicone. I rekon these would PC just fine, but I don't think my mum would appreciate me testing that theory out on her containers.

TVSN has the best deals on this stuff.

Hell yeah! Listen to the Naj :wink:

Go straight to cased grain.I never tried the pf tek, i was recommended to go straight for the grain and i am glad i did. I was scared at first, but it is so much better for learning quickly and getting a better understanding of the mushroom lifecycle. And yeild! oh my god! i had no idea!! :shroomer::shroomer::shroomer:

Go the grain!Saves fucking around looking for suitable jars.

What ever you go for have fun and best of luck. :)

ANd don't forget to put that polyfil in the lid, hey guys :rolleyes::lol:

Edited by naja naja

ANd don't forget to put that polyfil in the lid, hey guys :rolleyes::lol:

Ahh.......yeah! :slap::lol::lol::lol:

The Reject shop has a small range of preserving jars - the 1 litre ones are are $2 and have a very wide opening - almost straight sided...

The reject shop also has beautiful, deep black plastic trays perfect for casings, and mini greenhouses that those trays fit perfectly on the shelves of. :wink: