The Corroboree
shaman

Good cacti shops in Melbourne

Does anyone know of any good cactus shops in Melbourne. Im interested in buying a loph(lophophora williamsii). It isnt practical for me to grow them from seeds considering i cant even grow pedro from seeds lol

Any references to good retail shops or anyone interested in selling me a few lophs would be greatly appreciated.

Also could i get in trouble for asking a shop if they sell lophs? Ive read from some sources they are illegal, and from others that there legal in Aus.

Thanks, Gene

Does anyone know of any good cactus shops in Melbourne. Im interested in buying a loph(lophophora williamsii). It isnt practical for me to grow them from seeds considering i cant even grow pedro from seeds lol

Any references to good retail shops or anyone interested in selling me a few lophs would be greatly appreciated.

Also could i get in trouble for asking a shop if they sell lophs? Ive read from some sources they are illegal, and from others that there legal in Aus.

Thanks, Gene

The first thing I would do would be to PM memeber Mexicali he has many different size lophophora plants available for sale, then the next thing i would do was check out Garden World in keysborough they have a department called Collectors corner that sells lophophora and trichocereus as well as a few interesting species, also you can go to the Vic market and look for Andrew Thompsons store he sells many cacti, he also has a website www.cactusland.com.au

good luck on your quest! :wink:

Usually there's a booth selling cacti at Victoria Market. If you talk to the owner, you'll probably be able to buy some 'funky' cactuses.

Also if you visit Garden World at Springvale Road, Keysborough, you'll find the "Collector's Corner" which sells many kinds of rare plants including succulent plants. Here's the website:

Collector's Corner Melbourne

Edited by -bijanto-

ahh coool:D thanks for the replys. I think i'll try mexicai first because it would be hard for me to get to keysbourogh, i live in Werribee if anyone knows were that is.

Roraima nursery just off the Melbourne Rd in Lara on the way to Geelong is an excellent nursery for cacti. You may have to ask directly for lophs, but they do sell them. Quite close to Werribee too

Ill just add my 2c

it seems if you cant grow cacti from seed you lack the necessary skills to look after a mature cactus

that of benign neglect and patience

by all means go and buy cacti

but undesrtand, if you fail , why.

(BTW it took me a while and some '00 $ in cacti to learn)

I would agree with that rev...but who has the patience when they first decide 'hey! I want some cacti' to start their collection from seed? I think infact that it is pretty helpful to have grown more established cacti for a while before trying seeds. But yes it is satisfying to grow cacti from seed. Can't wait to start my next batch!!

Guest Mexicali

Thanks, Gene

How many do you want, how old and what size? Any particular forms in mind or straight williamsii only?

Let me know, if you want them, I've got them :wink:

How many do you want, how old and what size? Any particular forms in mind or straight williamsii only?

Let me know, if you want them, I've got them :wink:

I know this post was quite a long time ago, but Mexicali would you be able sell me any varieties of williamsii at a good price? I am an enthusiast, but only been collecting for 4 years or so i have my own seedling coming along and a few caespitosa and dicipiens. Would love to get some more for the collection.

Thanks heaps Mexicali. Its fine if you dont reply.

U wouldn't want to deal with this ex member, IMO

Ill just add my 2c

it seems if you cant grow cacti from seed you lack the necessary skills to look after a mature cactus

that of benign neglect and patience

by all means go and buy cacti

but undesrtand, if you fail , why.

(BTW it took me a while and some '00 $ in cacti to learn)

maybe some people have full time jobs or busy lives and cant spend every day doting over their seedlings, i personally think what you said is bullshit, i have never grown anything from seed and all my trichos are perfectly happy and thriving. cacti are so great because they can be neglected and still survive so they are incredibly grateful for any attention they are given. seed raising however can be hit and miss for anyone even experts can still have out right fails.

you are meant to be encouraging and fostering people's interest not trying to put people off all together with snarky comments like this one.

Edited by bogfrog

maybe some people have full time jobs or busy lives and cant spend every day doting over their seedlings, i personally think what you said is bullshit, i have never grown anything from seed and all my trichos are perfectly happy and thriving. cacti are so great because they can be neglected and still survive so they are incredibly grateful for any attention they are given. seed raising however can be hit and miss for anyone even experts can still have out right fails.

you are meant to be encouraging and fostering people's interest not trying to put people off all together with snarky comments like this one.

The post that you are pissed about was Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:06 PM :wink:

Cheers

Got