The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
strangebrew

It must be Autumn.

These Agaricus can get pretty big too. If the bugs don't get to them first it should be interesting.

gallery_608_4_179047.jpg

Would have sworn they were yellow stainers for a second.

Yeah ,the unopened caps certainly have that 'blocky' shape of Yellow Stainer. The brown scaly top however, looks very similar to a species of Agaricus I've been finding here since spring/summer (N NSW ).

They sometimes have slight yellow stain,smell strongly of almonds and taste fantastic!

I've been referring to them as A. augustus although Rev refers to them (at least something that sounds the same) on FF website as A. subrufescens. I've got it on agar now.

I'm not saying thas what you have but if, after further investigation it is, you have one fine esculent there Strangebrew.

Keep us posted if you do try it.

I thought they were Yellow stainers at the beginning of last year too because they did have some yellow bruising and I threw away some huge choice specimens but they always smelt OK and after finally cooking, smelling and then eating some and finding out they're tasty, I've moved on to thinking of them as Horse mushrooms - Agaricus arvensis.

Actually I don't think these are the same as last years which grew elsewhere. These don't have the apparent yellow staining, have yet to show the same growth potential and the annulus isn't firmly attached. I wonder if the spores came with the bagged cow shit I mixed into the soil?

They appear to be growing on various plant roots in the vicinity. Any more ID ideas?

med_gallery_608_4_3387.jpg

med_gallery_608_4_128769.jpg

gallery_608_4_42798.jpg

Edited by strangebrew

Macrolepiota rachodes perhaps?

Macrolepiota rachodes perhaps?

Good guess, they've got a white spore-print. Agaricus my arse! :P

I can't quite pin them down but it does look as though they are somekind of Lepiota or Macrolepiota.

Good guess, they've got a white spore-print. Agaricus my arse! :P

I can't quite pin them down but it does look as though they are somekind of Lepiota or Macrolepiota.

leucoagaricus might be worth looking into although they might usually have a ring ?

The well known Lepiota's seem to have a ring too.

I guess they're growing on itty bitty bits of cow shit. This mushroom base grew straight around a plant root.

post-608-1144970788_thumb.jpg

Edited by strangebrew

In theory, if these Lepiota's(?) grew so easily would Macrolepiota procera be the same if I got hold of a spore print and innoculated the ground? They like warmth, lime and sandy soil - sounds perfect for a cactus bed.

They are supposed to be some of the best eating mushrooms around and look at the size of these babies!

post-608-1145084984_thumb.jpg

They are supposed to be some of the best eating mushrooms around and look at the size of these babies!

Macrolepiota rachodes is recorded to have caused illness in some cases, although others report it as edible.

Also, the ring on the afore mentioned mushroom is very moveable. Therefore, it could have quite easily detached whilst it was still coming out of the soil.

Edited by phleb

I'm sure they're not Macrolepiota rachodes but this one I just happened to find today could be.

Frigging coincidence if it is! :huh:

post-608-1145185491_thumb.jpg

despite the white gills they still look like agricus to me

if they are lepiota then where is the detached annulus?

so you say they ahve a white print?

i ask because the agricus are white when immature too

then pink

then brown

then black/brown

I have no idea what the almond ones in N NSW are exactly but for all intents incl habitat , eating, cultivation - they match A subrufescens

Edited by Rev

Well I'll be, that one I just posted is rachodes! It stained orange when I cut it! ^_^

DNA studies have shown these to be Chlorophyllum, so they are now known as Chlorophyllum rachodes.

Edited by strangebrew

if they are lepiota then where is the detached annulus?

There is a ring but I've only seen it on a couple, it's really fragile.

Old gills stayed white but the edges started turning brown and the prints I made are 8/9cm across so I wouldn't say they were immature specimens.