The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

ID please

Question

Recently accquired this pach/not so pach looking Trich.

Broad but pronounced V notches above the areoles, which are bright brown when new and greyish/white when older.

I have growth that ranges from bright green with patches of yellow to a more normal cactus green to a nice dark green with some blue glaucal bloom or whatever you call it.

Areoles are about 1.5-2cm apart on the "main" stalks. The cutting pictured is about 17cm in length and 4cm in diameter.

Some of the older growth has areoles with one short "central" spine, and five downward facing spines. Some of the other areoles are the same except the central spine is longer than the downward facing spines.

Other areoles closer to the tip (and at the tip) only have 2-3 downward facing spines with no central spines.

I apologise for the crappy photos.

13 answers to this question

How can people even still ask for ID's on specimens like that?? Haha, it is a mess!!

I'd say the best response you're likely to get is something along the lines of 'some kind of pachanoid, macrogonoid, peruvianoid or hybrid of two or more of the above'.

When you take into consideration the fact that this is a cutting (do you know what its growth conditions were?)...and the fact that it is quite thin, it's gonna be impossible to ID at all beyond the fact that it is a san pedro.

Recently accquired this pach/not so pach looking Trich.

i appreciate the measurements

however ill admit ive never done mine

its not the individual measuremnets that matter its the relationship, the ratio, between.

bring a piece when we meet again

person to cactus is so much easier

but yeha as said above' plant it let it get to full size then get good shots of the stem, the areoles, and the tip from top and side angle for ID attempt

Without any detail, the tones of the plant suggest that you have a pachanoid type that many might call a short spined peruvianus, I could be wrong. It almost reminds me of the Torres clone.

The mother plant is a balcony grown cactus, which I recently purchased, the tallest stalk being some 100cm high (with four of five similarly sized stalks). I believe the plant is about four years old, however the cactus appears to have been grown in a relatively small pot in "not the best" lighting.

The mother cactus was entirely too large to transport in my friends tiny car, so we had to chop it up into more appropriate sized cuttings (I planned to do this anyway to let the rootstock reshoot clean pups).

So I have a fairly large number of similar length/diam chunks, but with no idea how to evaluate their "usefulness". I have limited propagation space, and would prefer to concentrate my propagation efforts on my growing collection of bridgesii clones if these cuts are lacking potential.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a case of "I'm throwin this out if I can't brew it up", I don't even have the heart to cut into any of my cacti. I'd like to plan its place in my garden appropriately however.

Have you thought about donating some of her to a friend of a friend for a hcl extraction so he/she can put the data into the rescent cacti yield topic?

Can we get some clearer shots Sina? They look like they have potential to be nice specimens!

Eye Candy please!

If someone with a nice camera in Sydney wants a cut, I'd be happy to trade for some nice shots :)

If someone with a nice camera in Sydney wants a cut, I'd be happy to trade for some nice shots :)

Damn geographical isolation!!

I would happily pay postage and post up a good few photos! im sure most people would be happy to add it to the collection.

dan

*Bump* :P A Very Funky looking Cacti indeed! Much love and thanks to Apoth for trading me a few pieces to propagate. Just potted up last week ready for spring. Defiantly does look alot like a peruvians in some of its characteristics but is hard to tell till it gets hydrated and new growth in spring. Looks to be a very promising and beautiful specimen! :wink: I will take some photos in a few months once they have really started to crank in the hot weather.

this specimen looks very similiar to a plant adrian ronny and myself are fimiliar with (from melbourne).

If so, we have had mcuh debate as to its persona, but it has been said to be a short spined peruvian hybrid (with one cacti expert venturing a guess at ecuadorian origins)... That is of course if it is the same strain as the one we found in melbourne.

If so, i would venture a hypothetical observation of the possibility that alkaloid content is mostly minor phenethylamines with minimal mescaline content (theorised after theoretical dose via brew to extraction comparison).

if u want further comparison with the cacti from melbourne look for the 'mother of a haul'photos from EB forums from one of the triptamind party threads.... (i cant be bothered)