The Corroboree

A mate of mine got the Eye of Ra tattoo a few years back, now he is a freemason haha.

I will only get tatts that i designed myself, with one exception; The bee faced shaman of Tassili-n-Ajjer. He is next on the list.

sheela.jpg

now thats a tattoo.

interesting symbols there. i too am only going for tattoos i design myself or design with someone else.

still havent got one yet.

if i was anything like the person i intended to be when i was 13 i would have lots of skull tattoos and my gun license by now :D

Edited by Hagakure

Tatooing is interesting

is it a taboo? and so a mark of individuality/

or is it a branding? and this a mark or conformity?

ithere is no definitive answer. it depends on circumstances

all i know is that i have no allegiance so strong i wish to indellibly mark myself with it

and if i did - it would remain hidden like the Yakuza

now days its just branding - fashion. One would have to tattoo a barcode on their left cheek to be original - although Im pretty sure one of te dudes from Front 242 did that.

One would have to tattoo a barcode on their left cheek to be original

That is taking it a bit far BM. I am 100% sure that the Lotus,Koi,water and fire design that is on my forearm is an original. Nobody on this planet has it(except me) or has ever had it on their body, the reason is because i designed it myself.

I have always had an interest in tattoos ever since i can remember, even as a child i was constantly reprimanded for drawing on myself. I could not however, bring myself to wear a tattoo designed by another(apart from the design mentioned earlier in the thread), unless that person was extremely close to me and an excellent artist.

I wear my art with pride and my skin is just another canvas that needs to be filled.

Edited by phleb

I like your attitude - a blank canvas jsutwaiting to be painted.

I have always had an interest in tattoos ever since i can remember, even as a child i was constantly reprimanded for drawing on myself.

yeah i know what u mean

my daughter is 'born' for some things

she loves tattoos (on herself) , soccer, cars and frozen peas - and shes only 2 1/2

such a different personality to me yet same in all other ways

i know what u mean about being interested from childhood

i was the same myself with animals, fossils and plants

I like tattoes as well.

Symbols.

But future tattoes would easily changeble usiing a magnetic device. Basically a nanotech type particle that simply can reflect light like a laser disk but magnetictally orientatel to show whater symbol is of interest.

So know more of pushing in carbon onto cells so too to keep the mineral pigment from moving.

i think someone in japan has done that.

I wil eventually get a tattoo - despite my pass-away father's reservations about them. I dont exactly know what it will be - but if my friends are any guide i doubt i will stop at one, two, three etc.

I guess its like piercings. Way back in the wild 90s i thought i was cool for having three sleepers up on the top of my ear kinda like 3D from Massive attack - nowdays thats kinda tame.

I do have a VERY strong drawing to all things celtic, druidic and briton. Maybe its because i am of majority scottish stock, or maybe im just tuning into age-old archetypes and ingoring 1400 years of christian dogma??

But at the end of the day ive never dreamt about Jesus - as cool as he sounds - but by god ive dreamt of pan and Jack 'o the green way to often for it to mean nothing.

Cerbennos, protector of the forests...

i meant cernunnos btw...

My sister has just started an 'apprenticeship' at a tattooist. By apprenticehip I mean she uses her artistic talents to create intellectual property for the business, and does odd jobs and general shitkicking. For free - she doesn't get paid. She works 10 hours a day 5 days a week without pay. There is no curriculum or other 'teaching' that is in anyway organised, she just has to hang around in the shop and pick things up. She has no contract or other formal agreement with her boss, who can tell her she's fired at any time, and she has no idea when she might start being paid or told she isn't wanted. Her boss has also informed her that she is forbidden to visit any other tattooists. But he also said "if there was any one giving her any problems just to let him know". Nice hey :angry:.

It would be fairly easy to question her intelligence on this - and I have, but there were apparently around 100 applicants for the position and she is one of 4 who were accepted. A phone call to the tattooist industry association has confirmed that this kind of treatment is standard, and in fact some places require the 'apprentice' to pay, so she's actually getting a good deal.

Anyway, I don't want to bring my sob story about my sister to the party, but I reckon if you are thinking about getting a tattoo, consider if you really want to support this incredibly fucked up industry...

I once started an "aprenticeship" at a major melbourne tattooist. The selection process included two interviews and a "test" on drawing and copying skill. There was well over 100 people vying for the position and only two of us were selected.

I was stoked that i finally had my dream job and was on my way down the path i had always wanted to be on.

I lasted two weeks.

The first hurdle was the pay. I left a secure job as a labourer getting $500 for five days a week down to getting $200 for 6 days of varying hours. Being the new guy all the cleaning up at the end of the day was mostly left to me and sometimes the day would finish at 10pm. This wouldnt have bothered me that much if like the other employees i lived in neighbouring suburbs but i lived in Moonee Ponds and the studios are at Ringwood and Lilydale. This prolly doesnt mean much to anyone that isnt from Melbourne but its about 4 hours travell each day on public transport. This left me with barley enough time in the day to scratch my arse let alone do all the normal things one needs to do, ie- shopping, washing and basic cleaning

"BRAND NEW NEEDLES EVERY TATTOO"

haha, brand new straight out of the autoclave.

My main job was cleaning needles but i also cleaned floors, windows, mirrors and even toilets, wow.

I also sorted magazines(the owner is the owner/editor of a tatt mag) into piles.

I did get taught how to pierce various body parts but a drunk chimp could do piercing as far as im concerned.

When i asked the boss about having a go with the gun on the pig skin, he laughed and replied "yeah one day mate, we have to teach you to clean first" :BANGHEAD2:

So i only lasted 2 weeks, but if i had of continued i prolly would have starved to death anyway or died from exhaustion.

I have only enquired about one other "aprenticeship" since then, and just like you said creach, you have to buy your way in. The price asked was $8000.

Screw that.

The only way i will get into it now is backyarding. I know it conjurs up all sorts of nasty images but it is the only way to really get into the trade if you dont wanna be a shitkicker or part with heaps of coin.

Anyone got an old gun layin around :P

if i was anything like the person i intended to be when i was 13 i would have lots of skull tattoos and my gun license by now :D

:lol: I feel the same.

All my friends got tatt's when we turned 18, I was the only one who chickened out in the end. I came very close to having a certain plant leaf on my arm :blush: Great idea to advertise :rolleyes: Now those friends in their thirties have their skulls, grim reapers and so forth and, well, it just doesn't appeal like it did in the teens :lol:

But damn, the industry sounds screwed. Really screwed.

Saw this great doco on foxtel last year. Vanishing Tattoo bout these two dudes who travel around to different parts of the world to document and record some of the older traditional Tattoo's. I found the Borneo episode very interesting, how the tattoos act as a shield against evil spirits etc, and how they distinguish ones achievements wihtin the tribal community.

A Spiritual Artform

"Dayak tattoo is a spiritual artform that merges images of humans, animals, and plants into one unit, expressing the proliferation of life and the integration of living and spiritual beings in the cosmos. Death and fertility were the primary axes around which tattoo creativity spiraled. Tattooing offered visual testimony to the refusal of Dayak individuals to accept the finality of death and assert the indestructibility of their being. By emulating the life of the gods in everyday ritual, the Dayak procured their own form of divine power that ensured the perpetuation of human life in a continuum of eternity. Therefore, tattoos were articulating symbols inscribing implicit Dayak ideologies of existence upon the living canvas of human flesh."

Bit of an exert from the website, also heres a link on the Traditional Dayak Tattoo

Vanishing Tattoo

Out of curiosity,are there any tatoo studios that arent

allied with the local bikies?Can someone open their own

studio and not have to deal with them??

Edited by Andrew

i saw that too YT :) i loved the matching tattoos they had on each side of there chest i want to get something similar but differant, i want some traditionaly hand tapped tats to

iv been thinking of geting an Ouroboros on the back of my neck also

Jellyfish tattooes method.

I always been afraid of needles. :shroomer:

------------------------------------------------------------

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser...=DN/20060159769

Methods compositions and devices utilizing stinging cells/capsules for delivering a therapeutic or a cosmetic agent into a tissue

Fresh tentacles of Rhopilema nomadica were homogenized in seawater. 300 l of the homogenate was added to 300 l Percoll in a microfuge tube. The tube was shaken over ice for 30 min and then centrifuged for 10 minutes, at 1000 rpm. The pellet was washed 3 times with H.sub.2O and resuspended in 50 l H.sub.2O. The tube was kept at 4.degree. C. until use.

Abstract

A delivery device including at least one stinging capsule and methods of use are described.

I've been sure for about ten years that the first tattoo I would get would be an aum. Lately I've been looking for one that I like, and I saw the one in the link you posted, and now here it is: (see avatar).

I was trying to figure out not so long ago, exactly what it is that makes Aum so sacred?

The symbol of Aum consists of three curves, one semicircle and a dot. The lower curve denotes the waking state, the upper curve denotes deep sleep, and the right-side curve (which lies between deep sleep and the waking state) signifies the dream state. These three states of an individual’s consciousness, and therefore the entire physical phenomenon, are represented by the three curves. The dot signifies the Absolute (fourth or Turiya state of consciousness), which illuminates the other three states. The semicircle symbolizes Maya and separates the dot from the other three curves. The semicircle is open on the top, which means that the absolute is infinite and is not affected by maya. Maya only affects the manifested phenomenon. In this way the form of Aum symbolizes the infinite Brahman and the entire Universe and the world. Aum is made out of the three gods Shiva and Ganesh and Gayatri

The symbol is sacred to me because they used to put it on really good blotters :).

I do not really understand the Hindu significance of aum even though I have previously read something along the lines of what you posted, because I have no fundamental understanding of the Hindu philosophy. I do believe that the Hindu interperetation would not fit with my understanding of reality because I have read parts of the Baghavad Gita (sp?) and found it to be much the same 'nonsense' as the old testament of the Bible. Seeing as the symbol is sanskrit (I think), it is clearly more relevant to Hinduism than any other religion/philosophy, but aum also has meaning in buddhism - as the fundamental resonance of the universe or something like that - and I feel that a buddhist interperetation of the meaning of aum would far better fit with my personal philosophy on life than a Hindu interperetation. Anyway, like I said, the symbol has meaning to me because of L.S.D. so it really doesn't matter what it's 'true' meaning is.

Cool. Was just posting for the benefit of others who might be curious.

I dunno how much you know about the Buddha (Om), but his lineage is Aryan. Like the Hindus who spoke the various holy words (Aum) and the Zoroastrians a bit further west (On).

I would say the evidence points to the word preceding Hindu beliefs (which may be the offshoot of somehing older, just as Buddhism was an offshoot of Hinduism).

The aum/ohm is an example of a really good idea that has been overdone though. Back when i first saw it it was on Dave Gahan's chest from Depeche mode way back in 92. Nowdays i see woman dropping their kids off at school in their toorak tractors and they bend over and you see a big ohm tattooed above their arses...

that is one thing about tattooes - you might be original, but if everyone copies whose going to know you were original or were just one of the sheep that followed??

I ended up getting a bizarre design my mate created for me - its kinda like an alien but his a block head instead of an alien head - with a weird cats eye thing - its pretty odd. I like him thought.