The Corroboree
spiders

Any finds in aussie yet?

eh fuk it

Gee, what an inspired first post!

:P

ehhh i still havnt found any actives :ana:

im surprised, my mate has been finding subs on houses front laws and in a mates backyard just in werribee...lucky baster:P i still cant find any though!

Edited by shaman

It's been nice and cold lately, but not much rain in melbourne at the moment, so I don't think you're likely to find much till it gets wetter again...although I'm happy to be corrected by someone whose been having more luck than I lately.

It's been nice and cold lately, but not much rain in melbourne at the moment, so I don't think you're likely to find much till it gets wetter again...although I'm happy to be corrected by someone whose been having more luck than I lately.

Each year I look back at the previous year and can feel how much the knowledge has grown, be it in field experience, readings or whatever, but you definately feel progression.

What I've come to teach myself is not to give up. I've learnt so much from monitoring some local patches daily over the last 2 years, looking at how they work and what makes them tick.

The mindset I like to keep atm and constantly drill it through my head is - that they are out there, it is cold weather mushroom season and cold weather mushrooms are out there. If you can't find them then look harder, because they are out there.

Whenever I feel it's a little dry and think they won't be out, I go back to and drill that message in again, and it's been confirmed by monitoring the local patches seeing that there is generally always 1 mature fruit present and smaller ones starting. If 1 fruit is present, then they are out there, find the right habitat and microclimate and they should be in full swing.

Rain has been a little slow the last week or so, but I've seen plenty over a range of habitats in NE melb ongoing since around the 21st April.

Most of my walking this year has been in remnant / conserved remnant areas with alot of luck, fruiting off native vegetation, mostly grasses and not bark chip beds. Given that, the bark chip beds should be pumping out masses. A vague look whilst driving past houses i've seen huge amounts on chipped beds.

I guess what i'm trying to say is don't give up. Take the time to research areas (ie. melways) and explore new habitat, because they are everywhere whether it be single fruits or carpets of them.

Thanks mate. You're inspiring. :)

Technically nearly all the subs in victoria are identical to australiana. Eucalypta is a variant with slightly different cystidia shape, but is identical to suaberuginosa/australiana macroscopically.

The wavy-capped variant is an odd one - if you grow it out from spore you will get wavy caps everytime - so its a stable and consistent phenotype.

What about the Sydney ones bm?

The ones I have seen so far this season look most like the Adelaide photos (rich brown cap fades to lighter almost golden colour as it dries), but the stem is much shorter (30-40mm?) and thicker (5mm thick) when fresh.

No wavy caps, no white ring around the edge of the cap, spore print is a very very dark purple (black where the spores are thickest).

The first flush has been extremely potent, with an experimenter last night commenting "they kicked my arse" from a single ~500mg mushroom, and similar comments from another experimenter who took ~600mg.

Can't wait for the results of that alkaloid maxima study :)

Photos coming as soon as it rains :P

Went to Melbourne this weekend armed with hours of internet sub research, shared pearls of Corroboree wisdom, Bruce Fuhrer's field guide and a rampant enthusiasm to seek out and collect my first ever P. subaeruginosa.

I bombed out. With only about 2 hours to spare over the whole weekend (was a hurried family trip) to look for the little guys I thought my chances were slim.

Fly Agarics were thick on the ground though... they are EVERYWHERE. I could have come home with a car load had I wanted.

I thought I was onto some myco-gold with this...

post-1438-1148815319_thumb.jpg

...But the absence of blue-staining and wrong cap texture was saying otherwise. Anyone know what this trap for young players is?

I was very impressed with the sheer abundance and diversity of fungal life down there though. Here's a nice shot from Ferntree Gully N.P.

post-1438-1148815528_thumb.jpg

Anyway, the search continues. :)

Edited by MORG

Went to Melbourne this weekend armed with hours of internet sub research, shared pearls of Corroboree wisdom, Bruce Fuhrer's field guide and a rampant enthusiasm to seek out and collect my first ever P. subaeruginosa.

I would recommend a better book, one that at least has a description of subs. Bruce Fuhrer's field guide has one small fairly useless paragraph and a photo of subs (thousands of which can be found on the netanyway). btw the mushroom you thought might be subs, i have to agree that that cap texture is very wrong - should be smooth.

Visited an area that had been cleaned out about 7 days previous. Observed decent amounts as well as running into another person who had a few good handfulls and was still going.

Found good healthy mature specimens today at a different location come up over the last few days. Psilocybes are damn sexy 'shrooms :worship::P They appear with such pride, what great character.

gallery_239_4_8246.jpg

gallery_239_4_29017.jpg

This one is from 16/5/06. These ones really freaked me out, the pics are a bit dodgy, but seeing them in person was a great learning curve. They are nothing like i've found before, very globular caps, the gills were relatively sunken (hard to describe) and the entire flush was extremely yellow, the gills had a weird yellowness to them and the smell of the mushrooms was like no other sub i've smelt, very interesting patch. Very strong bluing on stems in habitat. I've never seen anything iike this on barkchip, possibly it's the natural habitat causing it (??)

gallery_239_4_85452.jpg

Found these last week

post-42-1148886622_thumb.jpg

post-42-1148886642_thumb.jpg

post-42-1148886661_thumb.jpg

post-42-1148886682_thumb.jpg

post-42-1148886703_thumb.jpg

post-42-1148886727_thumb.jpg

post-42-1148886747_thumb.jpg

Found these last week

fuck, those last photos, what a massive clump - nice one! that's a heroic dose right there

wow those shrooms are large and extremely cespitose! you would never see that here in Adelaide. its photos like that which make me hate melbourne !! :lol:

Edited by Trich-Aura

after the next lot of rain i will take the camera out and get pics of one patch i found, 10+ subs growing in clumps from an area no bigger than a 50cent coin. id never seen anything like it

Subs confirmed at University of NSW.

One big patch was in a courtyard area right near a coffee shop. There were benches along the mulch bed and people were on the benches. The other patch was in a secluded courtyard. Some big arsed earth stars too.

Season is getting slower in Tassie. There has been no rain to speak of for over a week now and no new subs are showing up. Frosts are also hitting hard now, so that may slow them down.

Praying for rain :innocent_n:

i hear you there DuG, it was going nuts for a while but now it seems very slow indeed.

Re[x] hope some pop up after the rain yesterday. going on the weather reports we are up for some more rain over the weekend.

prayers answered i hope.

Does anyone know how frosts affect subs?

Question:

I have a suburban patch that yielded substantially with the early Adelaide rainfall, but has obviously shown little activity with the dry weather during the past three weeks. It is a fairly large woodchip bed and, while many of the subs are growing through the groundcover plants, there are equally as much growing from the chips. This last week, however, I've noticed that the groundskeepers have laid about two inches of fresh woodchips in the entire garden. I gather this will be beneficial in following years, but is this likely to hinder fruiting for the the remainder of the season?

I was pretty sure I'd hit on the goods today. Found alot of fruit in suburban east Sydney. Thing is, they've been on silica gel all day and now I'm less confident... :unsure:

Here are the ones I picked feeling very sure they were P. subaeruginosa...

post-1438-1149756813_thumb.jpg

The margins of the cap were white and turned dark soon after picking.

These ones I was less confident on. They were growing in the same spot, a bit larger, more flattened caps but still with distinct umbo. The margins were also less incurved than the smaller ones.

post-1438-1149757012_thumb.jpg

These spent the day on silica gel

post-1438-1149756948_thumb.jpg

These spent the day wrapped in tissue... colour is preserved alot better.

Also, there were alot of these pins around the patch which I left alone to mature. I took this pic at the same spot 5 days ago.

post-1438-1149757188_thumb.jpg

Circumstances prevented me from getting a photo in situ but I will endeavour to do this. Spore-print is pending. What do people think? Is there anything else these could be?

they look like subaeruginosa to me. Looks like some obvious blueing happening and look very similar to some subs i found here in SE Qld.

I would recommend a better book, one that at least has a description of subs.

what do u think of stamets ID guide, psilo mushrooms of the world, as a good guide for a beginner? its got some nice pictures in it.

they look like subaeruginosa to me. Looks like some obvious blueing happening and look very similar to some subs i found here in SE Qld.

The young ones look like subs for sure, the more mature fruit is throwing me off with my less experienced eyes. I'm also somewhat colour-blind so am never certain if that's "blueing" or if they're just going rancid.

Hazzah! It's nice to find them. Now I just need to find a good time to pull out my microscope and get studying these puppies!

Definitely positive on all those photos MORG, except the last one... I'd say that'd be a no go.

They don't look as happy as the specimens I've been finding, but as long as you know where they came from you can usually find nicer ones next flush :)

Definitely positive on all those photos MORG, except the last one... I'd say that'd be a no go.

Yeah, looks like Hypholoma aurantiaca