The Corroboree
spiders

Any finds in aussie yet?

On second thoughts, it DOES look like it's bluing slightly. Hard to tell from the photo

found this little sucker the other day hiding under some fern leaves.

post-850-1150037263_thumb.jpg

Hey while your hunting lads and ladies - check around some rank grasses - in the damps spots and fields grased by cattle and you might come across some other species from Australia:

Ps.semilanceata

Ps.strictipes

Ps.unknown (pellicosa with pcystidia from NSW)

Of if you stick to wood debris:

Ps.aucklandii (otways)

Ps.unknown (grampians)

Of the shit lovers:

Ps.tasmaniana (possibly synonymous with subs)

Ps.unknown (blue staining found oin Mount Buffalo)

Of the inactive psilocybes weve also got Ps.merdica and coprophilus.

And we have around five bluing gym species as well.

Of the shit lovers:

Ps.tasmaniana (possibly synonymous with subs)

Ps.unknown (blue staining found oin Mount Buffalo)

I occaisionally find active psilocybes growing directly from kangaroo or wallaby droppings. There is one area i know of in N.E. Vic where i see this more often than other spots though.....

i may have to look futher into this.

Now.... where is that rain?

that is great news - got any specimens of these? Do they look like subs? Or are they quite different?

Thanks for the responses guys... but I'm still not 100% clear :wacko: The variation in this species is really hard to wrap my head around at the moment.

Here's my dilemma.

post-1438-1150105395_thumb.jpg

Subs! :lol:

post-1438-1150105448_thumb.jpg

Subs? :huh:

post-1438-1150105517_thumb.jpg

Mycologist's eye view of the patch.

Are these mixed species or fruiting bodies of differing maturity?

Spore prints from my sample seem to be identical in colour between the two.

They don't look as happy as the specimens I've been finding

I think that's mainly due to the silica gel... turns them pruney in no time. :)

that is great news - got any specimens of these? Do they look like subs? Or are they quite different?

well, i havent got many specimens of anything this season :angry: .

The psilocybes in question look like subs although the caps are usually a little darker caramel and the stem and cap a bit thicker than other subs from the same area, they do usually stain alot more than the others aswell.

A friend who picked one of the psilocybes about five years ago still goes on about how "black" the mushie went after he removed it from the roo poo.

interesting. Sounds like those should be tasmaniana - sounds very interesting either way - damn i wish it would rain - id pay for a specimen of those!

interesting. Sounds like those should be tasmaniana - sounds very interesting either way - damn i wish it would rain - id pay for a specimen of those!

i would pay for many

We recieved a small sprinkling of rain recently, nowhere near enough, but enough to get me into those dark mountain valleys.

The area i find these psilos is in a well shaded valley so the tiny bit of rain we had may have produced something...... its worth a look.

It seems Melbournes season has slowed. I wandered through Authurs seat N.P. yesterday and they were few and far between although some of the specimens were absolute giants, massive, you could almost live in them.

I have found some mushrooms in Sydney on the weekend very similar to the ones MORG found in this thread. I am pretty sure they are psilocybes but do not think they are subs, but I am not experienced at identifying. Can anyone help me ID these please?

post-1484-1150684965_thumb.jpgpost-1484-1150684919_thumb.jpgpost-1484-1150684709_thumb.jpgpost-1484-1150685292_thumb.jpg

As you can see the middle of the older caps and most stems have a blue tinge. They stained further when I tried. The younger caps differ quite significantly to the older in colour.

I took a spore print of four caps of differing size/ages and they are all purple-brown (I can post a pic later tonight if that is going to help). Thanks :)

post-1484-1150684986_thumb.jpg

post-1484-1150684709_thumb.jpg

post-1484-1150684919_thumb.jpg

post-1484-1150684965_thumb.jpg

post-1484-1150685292_thumb.jpg

post-1484-1150684709_thumb.jpg

post-1484-1150684919_thumb.jpg

post-1484-1150684965_thumb.jpg

post-1484-1150685292_thumb.jpg

I have found some mushrooms in Sydney on the weekend very similar to the ones MORG found in this thread. I am pretty sure they are psilocybes but do not think they are subs, but I am not experienced at identifying. Can anyone help me ID these please?

Look like subs to me. Nice specimens.

i wonder if once we get some snow up on the top plain of buffalo whether if it melted under some sun it might get damper up there. Some tiny rain is forecast for thursday friday in melbourne too.

Im pretty keen to get up and see some semilanceata in their natural environment.

From what ive been told there are about 12 type specimens of semilanceata in the victorian herbarium, more in the NSW, and the Adelaide one so they are relatively common - so why the fuck arent i finding any? :) Maybe rain would be a start...

But semilanceata of all mushrooms particularly interests me because of its rich heritage within european societies - possibly associated with pagan and druidic practises since it - above all else - is a native of europe.

limpet, look just like the subs I've been pickin in Sydney too...

Has anyone found any exceptionally large specimens this season?

I found one specimen, taller than a bic lighter, with an immensely thick stem and cap.

Hopefully I will be able to post photos of it soon.

Taller than a Bic lighter?

The majority of Subs I get are taller than that, and maybe 4cm in diameter..

I'm going to look for some Qld subs this weekend. I will post some pics if i find any. I found some at this particular place last year by accident.

Thats crazy you get them in QLD - why then, wouldn't they be in more places around WA, other than the heart of the South West?

The season has slowed in tassie too. The biggest one i have seen was about 14cm high, a stem almost a cm thick and the cap was about 8cm. This was one HUGE mushroom.

haven't found any young shrooms for a while now, only big crusty/mushy ones :(

Thats crazy you get them in QLD - why then, wouldn't they be in more places around WA, other than the heart of the South West?

I have only heard of them in one small, high altitude pocket on the QLD/NSW border. I would love to be proven wrong though.

The patch i know of isn't at such a high altitude believe it or not. They aren't awefully common there either which is why i would prefer not to publicise the exact location, i think preservation is important. I stumbled across them by accident, i wasn't even searching for them when i found them. I will try and get some photos this weekend since there has been a bit of rain about.

happy hunting

Good luck Prophet, hop eyou get some nice pics.

Do you mind sharing the aproximate altitude? I guess it makes sense that they could grow well in a valley which would provide dark, cool, moist conditions.

If I can be bothered dragging my arse out I was thinking about going for a spin down through the border ranges into nightcap this weekend for a bit of a hunt. Its a long drive though.

But semilanceata of all mushrooms particularly interests me because of its rich heritage within european societies - possibly associated with pagan and druidic practises since it - above all else - is a native of europe.

and the USA no?

why dont you get ur arses to tasmania?

given vic and NZ findings

surely of all places it is THE place to find new potent psilocybes

and grow phlebs, or find a phleb cousin...

how much can a ferry ride and car hire cost from melbourne?

Edited by Rev

The season has slowed in tassie too. The biggest one i have seen was about 14cm high, a stem almost a cm thick and the cap was about 8cm. This was one HUGE mushroom.

haven't found any young shrooms for a while now, only big crusty/mushy ones :(

This was a pic from a friend from last season -

post-1432-1150901208_thumb.jpg

Still very dry in the West this year though.

Nice pics Ronnie - looks like a similar habitat to the forest they grow in WA area.