The Corroboree
Ed Dunkel

"Longifolia group" and DMT

Thanks Passive, but i wasn't having a poke at you. I just didn't feel the use of that word was applicable. :)

I know that a form of A.retinodes exists around here though. i don't know much outside my local area. Now i'm on a mission to find out how many of these wattles do occur in Vic. Sorry, i'm bored. very bored.

Then i might search thru some more posts to find something else i have no idea about to pick at.

:wacko: i'm pathetic :)

Passive , you were dead right. The three Acacias that you mentioned are the only ones unmarked on the list that have significant populations within Victoria.

Although one species that isn't on the list that should be examined is A.triptera. The name says it all! :)

A.triptera. The name says it all! :)

"Three winged" ??? :huh:

:P

"Three winged" ??? :huh:

:P

I've really set myself up now haven't i?

Sorry to be so picky, i have learnt my lesson. :)

Maidenii is around victoria

Check this

Drove to orbost myself :) big drive... big drive

maidenii is a listed rare species in Victoria. Harvesting would be unethical and illegal.

Much better to go for the feral obtusifolia populations in victoria.

Passive , you were dead right. The three Acacias that you mentioned are the only ones unmarked on the list that have significant populations within Victoria.

Although one species that isn't on the list that should be examined is A.triptera. The name says it all! :)

There is only one small population of A. triptera in Victoria.

not far from me :)

seems to be far more widespread in NNSW, better populations to "examine"

Maidenii is around victoria

Check this

Oohh, that is a bit of D. Cameron's work.

Yep, definitely rare in Vic, Torsten is right, there is a feral population of A. obtusifolia in that area somewhere, contact david for some location data for that one.

E D

I've really set myself up now haven't i?

Sorry to be so picky, i have learnt my lesson. :)

Don't be silly Jactus, was being a smart-arse and just having a laugh :)

Actually, I wish I'd reviewed this thread before new year's.

I was in Orbost for NYE and and did some exploring. HEAPS of broad-phyllode "Longifolia-type" acacias in the area. From the beach to the bush. I didn't have a field guide for acacia or the flora of the region so didn't really bother looking at them too closely. I would have loved the opportunity to see maidenii in the wild.

Are there feral obtusifolia in that region of Gippsland (for future reference)?

i was just lucky enough to score an a. denticulosa cutting, of the section juliflorae.

acaden01.jpg

sandpaper wattle, the stem is literally covered with thick balls of resin.. :blink:

• Like 1

What does the resin smell like when you burn it Mr ferret?

EDIT: For spelling

Edited by apothecary

Acacia denticulosa is one of my favourite Acacia species for ornamental value.

Ferret, let us know how you go with the cutting and if you have success do a methods write up because the received knowledge is that Acacias don't do cuttings well.

ill get back to ya bout the smell apo.. i still havent managed to get it home yet.

its an established cutting, i havnt heard of them being prop'd by cuttings generally either but i will talk to the guy i got it off and get his method..

okay i finally got in touch with the guy, who remembered he had started it from seed actually.. :rolleyes:

Hi Guys,

Were any conclusions reached re content and best time to harvest for max.?

I have many small plants ready to plant. They love the tropics.

Best day,

john s

This thread is almost 13 years old, so the members may not be around to answer your question.

From personal experience though the best time is when the plant is most stressed, this goes with all DMT containing plants. End of the hottest, driest period at the end of a hot day is prime. Daytime harvesting always yields less than early morning or late afternoon, cool and wet weather harvesting yields significantly less than hot and dry.

Here in FNQ the best window is usually after the heat ramps up but before the wet actually hits. Sometime in November.

• Like 2

On 11/11/2020 at 6:06 PM, john said:

Were any conclusions reached re content and best time to harvest for max.?

You mightve read above a redference to

On 16/07/2007 at 2:09 PM, apothecary said:

EDIT: For spelling

If you are able to familiarise yourself with the "burn" test then this is a pretty good way to set yourself on a path to answering the questions you have by yourself. It does require some experience, but an invaluable test all the same

• Like 1

Many thanks  - looks like good for a try.

I'll be planting some acacia next year (I've got plenty of space), so am looking into suitable types, any recommendations or suggestions would be welcome. WA location, hot dry summer, sandy soil - basically in banksia, Blackbutt, parrot Bush etc country. Confusingly the Blackbutt is apparently E. todtiana, but I've found several different trees across the country named todtiana!

• Like 1

Hey Moogy.

There's plenty of people with better knowledge than me but if you're in WA why not go with a local one like A. acuminata. Native to the conditions you have and lots of positives - nice looking tree, easy to grow from seed, nice smelling wood, great wood for crafty stuff, host plant for Sandalwood like Gimli's plantations, I think Gimli also mentioned using it for smoking meat, and then whatever else you might be interested in. Even goes well in places a bit cooler like the south west.

Edited by Cubism
dodgy grammar
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Cubism said:

Hey Moogy.

There's plenty of people with better knowledge than me but if you're in WA why not go with a local one like A. acuminata. Native to the conditions you have and lots of positives - nice looking tree, easy to grow from seed, nice smelling wood, great wood for crafty stuff, host plant for Sandalwood like Gimli's plantations, I think Gimli also mentioned using it for smoking meat, and then whatever else you might be interested in. Even goes well in places a bit cooler like the south west.

Can swing you some seeds if your in need Moogy.

6 hours ago, Cubism said:

Hey Moogy.

Hey Cubism thanks for the info, much appreciated. Good points, I'll probably end up with a few, or a lot ;), of varieties. Will look at acuminata in detail for sure.

1 hour ago, Humboldt said:

Can swing you some seeds if your in need Moogy.

For sure Humboldt, that'd be great!

On 16/07/2007 at 2:09 PM, apothecary said:

You'll only smell that distinct tryptamine smell if there's at least one percent in the plant matter burnt

On 12/11/2020 at 2:16 PM, Northerner said:

End of the hottest, driest period at the end of a hot day is prime. Daytime harvesting always yields less than early morning or late afternoon, cool and wet weather harvesting yields significantly less than hot and dry.

This appears to be correct imo - periods of dry weather pre-harvest increase yields (as well as DMT being water-soluble so washing away with any rain)

in terms of Longifolia being active as the OP eludes too - there are certainly instances that have proven this to be the case by members here...but these have been few and far between and many variable factors that may be contributing to this successful yield......so much more to discover about this fascinating species :)