The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
soul-searching

alien droppings?

hi all,

I found this funky looking fungi growing on a log, kinda freaked me out a bit! lol. thought it may be of interest!

post-1474-1141958534_thumb.jpg

post-1474-1141958604_thumb.jpg

Edited by soul-searching

It does look interesting, no idea what it is though.

In future, can I suggest you make your photos smaller? there is really no need for an individual pic to be more than 200kb or so unless it is for the purposes of art, and 1.2mb is just ridiculous... :)

The pic still only took 1 second or so for me to load, I've got ADSL. :P

Make them bigger next time soul searching! :lol:

i found this article relating to bushfood in england, and am curious as to whether the first thought "alien shit" could in fact be an edible fungus!and while i wouldnt eat it in fear of it growing inside me after consumption, it would be cool to know what it is. my only sadness is that i'm a myco' NOOB!. any experts out there with some light to shed? :blink:

here's the article....

"Another of my favourites, one I’ve found first in May every year for the past six. It’s an odd looking critter; bright yellow, tiny pores on the underside, bright orange on top, and it grows in thumping great clumps of brackets on the side of dead (and live) trees and stumps. And if you find some, you might easily find five or ten kilos. I’m including it here because one of its favourite habitats is willow, and that tree is found on river banks across most of the country (and wet areas like this are sadly neglected by most mushroom hunters, who rely on field guides detailing what you find in woodlands, meaning they remain unaware of richer pickings elsewhere…).

There are a few things to be aware of when picking this mushroom. Firstly, there's some evidence that if it's growing on either yew or eucalyptus, it might be poisonous. Secondly, you really only want it when it's young and juicy; it gets old and woody later, and it isn't good eating any more. Thirdly, there are some extremely rare examples of children hallucinating after eating this mushroom. So don't feed it to any tiny tots.

Other than that, munch away. It's remarkable just how much this mushroom really does taste like chicken, so I recommend making the most of that by adding it to chicken stews and curries. I like to keep some in the freezer, ready to be diced up and marinated in olive oil and herbs, making an ideal barbecue treat for vegetarians." post-1474-1147849352_thumb.jpg

post-1474-1147849352_thumb.jpg

post-1474-1147849352_thumb.jpg