The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

Psychoactive Saffron (Crocus sativus)

I posted about saffron a few days ago on EA and a couple of mailing lists. Since then the interest has spread onto other lists. I think saffron has a huge potential as a recreational. here is how it started:

I am pleasantly inebriated, my tongue is numb and I have exotic flavoured/scented breath. Over the last hour I have consumed about 40 saffron threads. This is the best quality in the world and even though the price is ridiculous, it really doesn't take much to get smashed.

I am surprised at the small quantity I've had. At this point I can't chew any more because my mouth is burning. Activity seems to be much higher when chewed thoroughly, but I will also try swallowing a capsule of it in the next few days. Apparently it is quite safe at up to 1.5g daily. Given the 40 threads probably only weigh 100mg, I can't imagine consuming 1.5g at once.

Saffron was used as a major ingredient in Laudanum (poppy wine). It's also supposed to act against drunkeness, although at the moment it feels exactly the opposite.

Once I get the dosage etc right we'll offer it in the shop. I have never seen this quality of saffron in australia before Laughing Laughing The flavour is just amazing and the colour index is over 250, which puts it in the top range of the best grade 1 material.

It's only taken me 8 years to pick up where I left off with saffron research Rolling Eyes

I would think that the activity in saffron is in the essential oil, as aroma and spicyness has been mentioned several times as indicator of psychoactive potency. Australian stuff is usually sold in 0.5 or 1g units in a large container where the airspace will take up much of the volatiles - if they were even there at the time of packing. The stuff available in Oz is generally tasteless and flavourless and is usually only used for colouring food, but rarely to impart flavour.

As I said, the stuff I have now kicks ass on all fronts. I had always avoided Iranian saffron because it is widely noted as being inferior. And yes, as Iran produces 100 times more saffron than the apparent market leader spain, it is likely that they do in fact produce a lot of low grade material. But they also produce the highest grade available, which is sargol saffron, and that's what I got hold of. It's currently selling on ebay at $3000 for 500g.

• Like 2

Oh man!

I love saffron rice. But, it may have just become a whole lot more interesting for me. :D

So, Torsten, you think Safranal is the active?

Edited by Benzito

Now available in the shop!!

Some more info about saffron. In a trial for it's antidepressant effect on rats it was determined that safranal acts on the serotonin system and crocin acts on the dopamine and norepinephrine systems. In other words saffron has a similar pharmacological profile to MDMA.

In fact, my dose of 250mg gave me the feeling of about 30mg of MDMA. It is also quite sensual, but impairs performance - sound familiar? :wink: The effects are easy to compare when having a shower as the skin sensations are very much alike.

Next week I will try larger doses. I feel it is a good idea to wait 4 days between experiments as there seems to be some residual effect the next day, indicating a long half life.

• Like 1

this has come at a good time...cooking alot of indian food of late, yum.

One question...what happens once the saffron is heated/cooked?

One question...what happens once the saffron is heated/cooked?

The safranal is volatile, so would probably be removed. The crocin isn't, so I presume it would still be there.

Excellent work Torsten :)

An example of the herbs acclaim is provided by herbalist Christopher Catton: "Saffron has the power to quicken the spirits, and the virtue thereof pierces by and by and to the heart, provoking laughter and merriment"

Will be ordering soon...

there has been a fatality at 1.5g, but it was a pregnant woman who bled to death. Other than that the lowest fatality was 10g as far as I am aware. That does not mean the LD50 is at 10g. Consider this in relation to nutmeg. The lowest fatal dose has been half a nutmeg. But the LD50 is probably more around the 10 nutmegs. Either way, it's a good idea to be cautious.

Torsten,

do you think with a good quality saffron that the traditional tilak (red dot on forehead of hindus) made from saffron & sandalwood could have much effect?

• Like 1

with md and 5htp you risk seretonin syndrome, however pre-loading and getting the dosage right can potentiate an experience three fold..

would it be safe to pre load with 5htp and use small amounts of saffron? i.e would what was the equivalent of 30mg md for you be say 100mg when combined with a good 5htp protocol??

or is this just plain stupid and dangerous?

i have never heard of people sliding into serotonin syndrome even when high doses of 5-HTP are taken for days before MDMA and even taking it while rolling .. ? sure you always want to be aware of how much you're using and knowing your pills

if your serotonin levels are pretty well topped up, i don't think taking 5-HTP is going to potentiate any substance all that much really ... imho

you mentioned that an experience could be potentiated threefold by preloading - this would maybe indicate that serotonin levels are normally not all that high.

• Like 1

do you think with a good quality saffron that the traditional tilak (red dot on forehead of hindus) made from saffron & sandalwood could have much effect?

Not for more than 30 minutes.

i have never heard of people sliding into serotonin syndrome even when high doses of 5-HTP are taken for days before MDMA and even taking it while rolling .. ?

I agree that this is probably all theoretical fearmongering. I have taken large doses of tryptophan while peaking and the most it does it mabe add 100%. That's still 800% shy of being problematic. I don't hink 5HTP will be much different.

a friend ordered some of the saffron for me

beautiful quality, best i've come across.. have used kashmiri (pretty poor quality overall, lots of yellow style, have to use a fair bit, but still had a good flavour and aroma that i found was better suited to desserts - khir and shrikhand), and spanish. apparently kashmiri saffron is a dying industry and i doubt if the good stuff ever leaves the country - yields are dwindling badly.

i didn't really find the burn so bad .. spicier than i expected but had never eaten raw saffron before. have to admit i'm a bit addicted to eating fennel seeds .. that probably sounds dumb .. but i started chewing 1-2 tsp after meals, and now i just like it. at that quantity they used to taste fairly sweet and pungent - but now they just taste sweet to me. it's interesting how your perception of taste changes as your biochemistry changes also .. but that's getting off track

i started with 55 threads (more actually but i counted two small stigmas as one).. they had a mild effect, which given the setting was a good aphrodisiac. mdma for me has been "peformance enhancing" (or however you want to say that) which i think is not experienced by the majority, but same deal with the saffron.

the effect wore off after less than an hour, and i took another 20 threads, and again in 30 mins another 15 threads.

the flavour is so nice (i had a few more goes at 15-20 threads), but i've decided it's a little too precious to be snacking on like fennel seeds (tho i could easily) .. will probably save some for rice now :) i love sweetened saffron milk but havent made any with this product yet

also, it's obvious this would be an excellent grade for medicinal use .. a valuable herb for particular types of migraines and amenorrhea/dysmenorrhea, and considered a catalyst for tonic herbs. i will definitely purchase a larger amount for use in formulas, and some of the small vials as gifts for some fellow students of ayurveda.

anyway ... thanks torsten, nice product --- have you had the chance to experiment a little more? interested to hear your comments

one other thing .. a few of my ayurvedic book mention various uses of saffron oil, and i have always wondered if this product even exists now? one book mentions rubbing the oil on the penis for obvious reasons.

Edited by coin
  • Like 1

anyway ... thanks torsten, nice product --- have you had the chance to experiment a little more? interested to hear your comments

I've been playing with the GABA receptors the last few weeks, so abstained from anything else. Saffron has a very short effect, which is both a positive and negative point. The former because yu can do it anytime and be straight a couple of hours later for work etc, the latter because you can consume a shitload within just a few hours.

hmmm just realised you can only buy 1g amounts.

we've almost run out. more is on the way. give it a couple of weeks and we'll have the larger units.

How big a dose is fatal and how much is likely to make you sick? I don't mean to be negative but those are important factors. Most people would use it responsibly but a few might go nuts with it.

How big a dose is fatal and how much is likely to make you sick? I don't mean to be negative but those are important factors. Most people would use it responsibly but a few might go nuts with it.

most of that info is in my first post. and that's all I know about it too.

I've been chewing on T's saffron and I have to say it is exquisite with music..love it! :D

had a friend try some last night .. he found it very warm & pleasant

there is a prelimiary result that indicates saffron might interfere with the activity of other substances, so don't take it if you are planning to consume other things on the same night. Interference appears to be with the serotonin system, which means tryptamines, MDMA and maybe shrooms & LSD probably won't work.

There also appears to be a huge potentiation (something like double to triple!!) of opiates, so please be careful when combining them with saffron.