The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
AndyAmine.

What to do with a scion that has no aeriol?

I made my first attempt at a graft about a month or so ago and did a pretty bad job of it, I ended up loosing about 1/3 my scion because I kept cuting at an uneven angle.

After many tries I finaly got it on ok, it seems to have bonded well and has fattend up but my problem is that after lots of re-cutting the last areiol left didnt make it, it was too close to the base and dried out. (it is inside the red circle.)

So what will this graft do, will it jst sit there and do nothing forever?

Should I replace it wiht another scion and root it?

post-824-1134622278_thumb.jpg

post-824-1134622253_thumb.jpg

post-824-1134622234_thumb.jpg

post-824-1134622217_thumb.jpg

post-824-1134622073_thumb.jpg

that will be very interressting.

i guess the penis will swell up more and more till it explodes...

no but seriously, what you did might soon become a fashion, as to "fatten up" cacti!!

monstrous can form quite a big diametre, in old specimens...

I think it's still possible for it to grow a little more length on the end, but that's about it. I could be wrong, though.

i had a graft like this, penis on bridgesii, with no aerole.

the scion got hard as steel and did'nt change size for almost 9 months until the root stock died.

i dont know if this was the cause of its death but it died a sad death, i had such hopes for the graft.

post-885-1134650295_thumb.jpg

Is it possible for pups to form from no areole? or can areoles be present but 'not visible' (perhaps imature)? Because with the Brigesii Monstrose the top portion (penis bit) does not appear to have areoles yet I believe to have seen plants that have puped from the very top seemingly an immaculate conception so to speak. I will have another look at mine and post a pick if it supports what I say.....if not I will pull my head in and be damned for eternity. :crux:

I think Im going to leave it on there until I can replace it wiht a better graft at the end of the season.

Then Ill root it and see what happens.

Thanks for the advice fellas.

Well all areoles must originate from the apical meristem (growing tip)...and that thing still has its apical meristem so theoretically isn't it still possible for it to grow another areole out of there? I don't see why not, but then again I don't have any experience with TBM. Do they usually only throw out areoles at the base of the dick?

Thats a real nice graft by the way darcy! Whats the stock?

Trich spach is a good choice for cold weather growers.

Wasn't there some speculation out there that if you graft a TBM scion with no aerioles that it would just get more bitter and potent? I'd say this is a fine opportunity to test the hypothesis...

like mentioned, your apical meristem is ok so you are theoretically able to possibly get more from it....when I have things like this i put them in a corner and forget about them for a year or 2, if not meristem or areole, i usually throw them out and reuse the stock for something else.

other than no areoles, its a good job grafting :)

one of my friends has what seems to be a monstrose bridgesii over a metre high,just the trunk,no spines no areoles?

t s t .

I had the same thing happen, no areoles on the graft, then one grew from apical meristem.

one of my friends has what seems to be a monstrose bridgesii over a metre high,just the trunk,no spines no areoles?

t s t .

well, its only possible, not necessarily probable :)

I have had TBM have their tips damaged by whatever [usually rodents in winter] and they have pupped from the tip...

i would imagine that conditions like that would be alright for producing chimeras?