The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Agamemnon

Miracle fruit and San pedro

Just a thought. Miracle fruit when eaten can make limes taste sweet, so I was just wondering if anybody has tried eating miracle fruit before taking San (bitter) Pedro, where such an activity is legal of course.

Lol, I asked the same a few days ago... tho I was thinking for kalmegh or calea (might be different with them in that they arent alkaloid based)

.... no one had tried

.... yet

That's bloody good thinkin.

You don't even need to get into a full fledged brew to try it, just a thin slice of bitter cactus and an appropriate amount of berry would be a decent test to see if it's worthy of testing further.

this fruit IS VERY interesting.

i thought about this a while back as well

not having access to material prevented any experiments but i thought over it and sour isnt the same as bitter is it? so in theory it wouldnt work

nothing beats actually trying it though

Indeed Rev. I have four seedlings which hopefully in the tropics will bear fruit sooner than later, so will test bitter and sour theory with material that is appropriate...

on the nose rev

the way i understand other discussions about this fruit it can invert tart flavours.

tart and bitter zang i guess you could call it may be different regarding this fruit's properties.

still worth a try, i'm interested to see what other things this fruit can do.

ie: tequila lemon and salt, perhaps a trace of the fruit with the lemon,

i for one actually love the contrast lime brings to a dessert, if you can embrace both flavours of tart and sweet at the same time is seemingly easy but to find the perfect balance can be anothe challange.

i'm up for any samples if they are available, happy to report how many different contrasts this fruit compliments

i believe it just changes sour to sweet, ive never had any experience with it and many fruits to make me think otherwise

I've read in a herbal encyclopedia that it makes sour things sweet, but not bitter things sweet. The author said that she tried it with A. Absinthium and it didn't change the flavour all that much.

By the way, does anyone know if there is any commercial source for the actual fruit in Aus?

so it would seem to me it inverts citric acid?

tricky!!!!!!!!!

there is no commercial source because the fruits loose there ability after a few hours. it works with many sour things.

Hmm, according to wiki miracle fruit does have an effect on bitter foods

"The Miracle Fruit plant (Synsepalum dulcificum) produces berries that, when eaten, cause bitter and sour foods (such as lemons and limes) consumed later to taste sweet."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_fruit

Anyone with access to these want to give it a go?

A friend actually bought some recently for this very reason. ordered internationaly. just waiting for the right time. :)

i have heard alot of people enjoying guiness extra stout with miracle berry and it tastes like a chocolate milkshake...isn't that turning bitter into sweet? beer is not sour

which would mean it could work for pedro. there has been much speculation recently in the community as to if the berry works for bitter and i think the widespread practice of eating the berries and drinking guiness shows its possible.

I just ordered 30 fresh fruit and a Miracle Fruit Bush.

I'll test it as soon as they come.

PM me if you want the source.

Why not grow miracle fruit in Oz? Perfect climate, seriously... I really think this is an awesome idea, I'll have seeds very soon, PM me, spread this magical berry around the island of Oz!

Would it be possible to import a few plants? Or is that too risky? Surely this plant is legal in Oz?

Edited by Teotz'

Teotz this plant is already in Oz, lots of them growing and lots of fruit.

And where do they sell them? In queensland...? or are they for export?

there is no commercial source because the fruits loose there ability after a few hours.

you can buy the plants in nurseries here, I use to sell them also. Yeah fruit looses its activity after a few hours.

How do the tablets work then?

It says they are only made of berries & cornstarch.

Hate to burst the Synsepalum dulcificum bubble everyone, but Miraculin does NOT effect bitter foods (at least foods as bitter as high-alkaloid cactus).

I was really excited about these little berries exactly for the reason being discussed here so I bought some tablets (which finally arrived after way too long in transit) and I've been using them for sour foods with great success, but unfortunately alkaloids taste like... well, alkaloids.

Sorry everyone :(

Maybe fresh berries will have a stronger effect?

I know that this isn't the trade thread, but just in case there are Aussie posters here who know - I've been hunting for a source of Synsepalum dulcificum, either seed or plant, but have so far had no luck.

Anyone able to help put me on the trail?

Cheers, me hearties.

nope your right random fly its only sour thats effected. To put the active component (miraculin a glycoprotein) into tablets requires some processing and there are conditions underwhich the compounds are stable, this was the holey grail for awhile as resteraunts were wanting to have miracle fruit dishes where one eats the fruit then eats the special meal. The use of fresh fruit was difficult and expensive so they went about finding conditions underwhich the molecule is stable. Apparently freeze dried fruits are fine, miraculin itself is stable at certian pH's.

Sorry .....but NOTHING makes San Pedro, Torch, etc more palitable ...NOTHING. Just gotta get over the 5 minutes of misery....and, well get over it!!! Otherwise extract it.

heehee yeah, I've since come to accept that the pain is part of the healing (I apply this concept to most types of healing).