The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
chilli

How to stop incipient etiolation?

Hi... whilst waiting for this to callus, it obviously got a little bit over eager and kept growing, with this result...

post-1250-1131594680_thumb.jpg

It has no roots yet, but its potted, what can I do to slow down the growth and halt the etiolation?

Thanks

Cool, dry and dark.

But its always gonna have a slightly skinny bit where that has happened now.

Cool, dry and dark.

How dark is dark? Should I take it out of the soil?

I think cold is more important than dark. Last winter the timer for my closet lights where my cuttings were rooting got unplugged for 3 weeks. When I came back all the tips had grown at least 2 inches, and were completely white. The 3 weeks of darkness didn't prohibit growth at all and now all of those cuttings have a skinny part :(

hmm, what happend here isn't reason for any concern.

if you have them allready in the soil, than just put the specimen into the sun again, no problems, the area will soon regreen. if you would keep them dark further the etiolation could become a problem as once you move the cacti into the sun the area might get sunburned...

aswell this new growth would turn out to become very skinny if you prolong it;s condition, so move into the sun, but keep rain and moisture off for a while, so the callused area will not start rotting on you.

overall this light green growth tells me that the previous owner did a good job careing for this pedro, this growth is a sign of virgor to a certain degree. malnurished and thyrsty keept pedros don't show as much signs of growth.

anyway new growth is often pale green even if the cactis are keept in the full sun,

maybe you even got some roots allready and the thing want's to start to power away.

so all is well, with your pedro. :rolleyes: