The Corroboree
Torsten

Drool size peyote for sale

a friend of mine is selling this one. very trusted trader. if you can afford it then get it.

DROOL

ec_1_b.JPG

Congrats Jasemateau!!

WOW. That didn't last long. Only posted about it 2 hours ago.

Congrats Jason.

Apparently the plant has been producing quite a bit of seed, so now you have an endless supply of baby grafting material ;)

there was a dude on ebay some months ago buying anything that was peyote, and bumped me out of 2 auctions, one dude was selling a massive loph and i had it until 1 minute before it closed, i was cut to find out i missed it, (i was at work during the expiry time).

seem to have no idea what it would be worth and out bid me by a bull shit amount

some car parts dealer, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

i'm glad i finally got a treasure,, i love grafting experiments, so seeds will be fun to have.

wohooooooooooooo

f'n excited

do you know how old it is T?

I was discussing that with Dannye and I think she was told that it was about 15 years. While I think you could get them to that size in maybe 8 years, many cactus collectors don't optimally pot up their plants and hence they can easily be twice as old.

Out of interest, what would a peyote that size be typically worth?

so its gone is it damn i wanted it!:(

so do you guys recon i should put it in a massive pot?

something like jacks masterpiece.

jacks lohp is a drool, what a beauty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

so if i put it in a massive pot it will grow to its best capabilitys?

cant belive how excited i am, wont be eating this, not a snowflakes chance in hell!!!!!

NO!

overpotting arid cacti is the fastest way to kill it!

especially if it has the root like lophophora

if anything they should be underpotted in a coarse sharp draining inert mix

youll get better suggestions i dont doubt but i personally would do the following

- use terracotta pot. matched to the depth of teh cactus roots- so generally a shallow pot

- use a coarse non organic mix consisting of Coarse sharp sand/riversand, perlite, a little limestone, even expanded clay balls and some slow release ferts - no organic matter incl peat. coir or pine bark - all harbour disease fungi or bring in nats. ive found far less massles in a completely mineral soil

- pot up and leave at least 2 weeks with no water at all then water allowing the soil to dry out totally in between

its better to have a very free draining mix so that within a day or two its dried out again, then you can water more often to compensate.. They like a fair bit of water over summer when its hot but NEVER like to be waterlogged

Once it starts growing again feed it often with a watered down soluble fert like miracle grow or thrive over summer

In autumn as soon as night temps start to drop off slow down watering drasticaly and then stop

nothing will kill one as fast as cold wet feet

they are really easy to grow but people always kill with kindness. If you just follow their seasonal flow and dont try and push them in the wrong time then youll get on fine

if you want to keep it especially healthy they love being under lights over winter - HID or fluoro, but still hold back on the water because the ambient temps are lower

on a warm sunny morning you might give it a couple waterings over winter but only when you can be sure itll dry out fast and the rootzone will stay warm

and please let me know if you have a few excess seeds

love to trade something (incl. grafted loph plants) for fresh seed

Edited by Rev

i have some mix here. i'll sift it then put in water to skim the floating bark of the top.

theres not much bark in there but if it's not going to help my nu friend, its gotta go.

thanks REV, will pm about seeds when they arrive

Howdy folks.

I'm the woman who sold the Loph and it's great to hear you are not going to eat her, Jason!! She should arrive tomorrow, I sent her registered post with insurance from Mackay so keep me updated!

Thanks Torsten for posting that here, I'm halfway to covering my rego. :)

I haven't posted here before, I have a Loph the size of Jason's but a bit larger and it was wonderful reading some cultural notes. I'm not a big cacti person but do have four spp. Trichs and the one Loph left. I'm growing quite a large number of tropicals and am currently trying to increase the Brugmansia variety here in Oz with about 75 new Brugs and Datura seedlings and about that many more seeds left to plant. I'm a Brugaholic. And no, never ingested one and never will, I'm all old and stuff. Heard stories plenty.

~D :innocent_n:

ok peopletons.

i got my prize today, truely amazing plants, i took it out of it pink pot and gave it a new home to live took rev's advise on the soil content however i ran out of the mixture and had to put some straight river sand on the top.

i pot it in a balck pot so if it's ever cold in the house, at least the pot will absorb the heat from it's contact with the sun and keep him warm

hope i'm right!

cant belive, after taking him out of the soil, i counted 30 pups, tiny tiny one every where most underneath the bigger pups, some clearer pic's

newbaby1.jpg

newbaby.jpg

nice!

one more hint

build a cage from aviary wire for her

(make it bigger so itll fit a few more in future if you want to swap buttons for seed with me)

itll keep the birds/mice/rats off

too many sob stories on these forums about mouse chewed lophs