The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

Climate/Location field required

I have added a new required field to the sign up procedure. It is designed to make it easier for members to help each other provide plant advice and to avoid confusion about legal issues.

Anyone asking for cultivation advice should have this new 'Climate or location' field filled in and it will display in each post under your avatar. Anyone asking for cultivation advice without having provided this courtesy will be ignored (by me at least :bootyshake: ).

The new field can be completed by existing members by logging into their control panels and clicking 'edit profile'. It's right at the top and can't be missed.

The information you provide should give a clear indication of your climate. Stating 'NSW' is NOT sufficient as this ranged from alpine to subtropical and will be of no help whatsoever. USDA zones may be used, but keep in mind these are only marginally helpful as they only indicate minimum temperatures and not overall climate. Terms like alpine, subtropical, tropical, tropical savannah, mediteranean, arid, coastal, etc (and any combination thereof) are much better terms.

This field is separate from the optional 'location' field, which indicates a physical location and may be disliked by some for privacy reasons. You may choose to provide both.

i think this is a great feature.

for those unsure of their regional climate classification, like i was, please refer to the chart.

wrldclim.jpg

I keep getting error messages cos my entry is too long. How many characters are we allowed to put into the location field? I want to put 'drier subtropics, some light frosts' in but even trying to abbreviate this gives me the same error message

try dry subtropic w/frost or D-STropic NSW w/frost

D-STropic NSW w/frost fits but may not suit

I have it set to 23 chars as it would otherwise distort the rest of the forums.

I'll put that fact in the comment.

I have it set to 23 chars as it would otherwise distort the rest of the forums.

I'll put that fact in the comment.

Can't you just have the text wrap around in the sidebar that shows user details? If the length is too long it would still distort so it needs to be capped, but a few lines wouldn't hurt... ... :devil:

BTW I dunno if text wrap is possible, it bloody well should be.

Can't you just have the text wrap around in the sidebar that shows user details? If the length is too long it would still distort so it needs to be capped, but a few lines wouldn't hurt... ... :devil:

BTW I dunno if text wrap is possible, it bloody well should be.

did u hear man has landed on the moon?

did u hear man has landed on the moon?

well no duh text wrap is a possibility, i just know sfa about running sites, and if this is some kind of pre-packaged forum software, and if such modifications are possible. and if they are, dammit man just apply them already. For the aforementioned reasons, if people NEED to know about other peoples locational climate to help them, as you stressed so much Torsten, why not allow them to do just that by providing more space?

'drier subtropics, some light frosts' means a lot more than "D-STropic NSW w/frost" If I didn't know already I'd have NFI what that means. You chose 23 for your own evil numerological reasons you lizard scum.. I'm on to you Torsten.

and why the fuck do i get this involved in issues that don't even concern me in the least?

it might be possible, but not with my php skills. if you want to share more info about your location and climate then stick it in your sig line or your profile.

there's actually a 'Location' and a 'Climate & Location' field in the options so there is a bit more space available there. i noticed this because i had the same info in both and it appeared twice over there <---