The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
chilli

Is this a disease?

Hi...

I picked up a couple of Pachanois in pots from my local hardware store today, but have just noticed that one of them has these small black spots on different parts. Is this something I should be worried about, and if so, what should I do?

Disease1.jpg

Disease2.jpg

Thanks

I think we came to the consensus that these are small localised fungal infections around old wounds. They don't spread or do anything bad. It's essentially a scar.

Thanks guys, that's a relief!

that 2nd pic looks like the start of "The Black Death"

watch for seaping fluids and the blackness to grow, but the 2nd one could just be lighting.

I think those spots are the result of over-watering. Whenever it rains heavily in my area, many of my cacti develop those little black spots. The skin seems to just burst because there is so much water in the tissue. Usually a drop or two of water (usually a blackish color) will seep out. Just keep them out of the rain for a while, and they should recover. The scar however, will remain. Ill try to snap a picture or two today of what mine look like as the result of multiple hurricanes this year. :blink:

Thanks for the input, everyone...

Well, the one in the bottom pic looks pretty much the same as the others... there is probably about ten altogether, some very small...

If anything, it looks like its been underwatered... very dehydrated and wrinkly...

If this is something bad, what would be the best course of action? Are there any threads/links dealing with this? What should I search for?

What is I just cut the offending bits out?

Cheers