The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Bongchitis

Sugar Cane mulch for bulk cubensis

Hi all,

I was just wondering what the general consensus was concerning the replacement of straw with sugar cane mulch in a 50/50 mulch/moo poo mix. Has anyone tried this? I thought the sugar content in the cane would be great but perhaps the wrong sugar for the cubes.

Sugar cane has sugar but very low N

are you using bagasse or the mulched tops (AKA bunnings bag mulch?)

if the latter it sdoesnt have as much sugar as the former

Its only other benefit is it hold a bit of water

I cant say about cubensis, and neither should you really, but bulk neglect teks with other species have moderate success ie Stropharia rugoso-annulata

published studies show sugar cane mulch as a raw material in compost aking makes a superior compost for agaricus.

anyway, Left it a bit late in the year for warm climate mushrooms havent you?

growing any shrooms in bulk at less than ideal temps is a recipe for a green mould disaster and or poor fruiting.

about all i think you could easily grow now on cane is oyster mushrooms. Ostreatus and pulmonarius do well on S Cane

not eryngii or golden oyster though - not rich enough

in theory, what would be a good choice as a cake substate for those woodloving varieties of shroom?(def not subs)! I was thinking pine mulch,vermiculite,rice grain with cow shit? Any body got a recipe that subs find absolutly intolerable? Any temperature info on spawn and fruit growth would also be greatly ignored.

Whats a tounge doing in your cheek?

Thanks for any theories

P.s. In theory or amsterdam. how would the difficulty rating for a sub V's cube fruition and completion.

Thanks Rev,

yeah, it was more of a ponderance really, instigated by overhearing a conversation at the pub!. You are right about the time of year though, but nature can be circumvented when the only concern is temp .

I believe this person was thinking about the bag'o'mulch from bunnings type material. If I ever see him again I might suggest a 100% mulch substrate to either prove encouraging or discouraging and perhaps post the results here when he gets back to Amsterdam.

naja naja:

in theory, what would be a good choice as a cake substate for those woodloving varieties of shroom?(def not subs)! I was thinking pine mulch,vermiculite,rice grain with cow shit? Any body got a recipe that subs find absolutly intolerable? Any temperature info on spawn and fruit growth would also be greatly ignored

P.s. In theory or amsterdam. how would the difficulty rating for a sub V's cube fruition and completion.

Paper spawn is goo for many wood degrading species

or Coco fibre spawn.

I want to run over a recipe again before i put it up with pics but youll find some info on my site

temps? its around on the net

same as for P cyanescens i would think

difficulty?

well until recently no-one ever fruited subs indoors. that answers that

outdoors? subs would be easiest as you can transplant clumps of wild spawn or last years beds to new beds. or so i heard they do down south

Stamets says building a bed is the same as building a bed for stropharia rugosoannulata

im going to be doing one of those soon and ill take pics and post a growlog eventually

Bongchitis:

You are right about the time of year though, but nature can be circumvented when the only concern is temp  

there are complicating issues. Pasteurised materilas are actually a community of microbes

as long as one has dominace its ok but if one is weakened then it can all go wrong

as well as temperature you must also balance ventilation for o2 and CO2 as well as humidity

oxygen and CO2 are VERY important in maintaining that freshness that favours myc over mould

cold air hitting warm himd air dehumidifies it

commercial mushroom growers have fancy air intact devices to deal with the air before it enters rooms

If in doubt then maybe stick to sterile substrates unless temps are ideal

So i guess subs are not a good choice for my first ever grow. (I havn't even done buttons from a supermarket kit.I don't like them and never had the chance to try any others as we have the small town syndrome.)I'll still give it a go(if i find any to make prints from) otherwise i might just have to try and source cube sporeprints.

sleeping on sumthing makes all the difference.

Just wondering what the problem was with subs fruiting indoors?At what stage do the problems occur(caking,pinning,fruiting)? Is this due to contamination or some other trigger? Or is it simply through lack of trying?I figure if you can make the outdoor beds, That surely u could do it indoors easier.

who knew a large cylidrical metal boat could produce a spore print!jokes

pinning,fruiting

I think the thing with subs is the air quality and day night temperature fluctuations