The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
chris

potency difference

i read some were that psilocybe subaeruginosa are more potent than psilocybe cubensis.

could anyone please tell me the difference betweent the two in dried weight. :confused:

*if anyone could answer this it would be most helpfull! :)

from what i have read, Ps. subaeruginosa is approx. 3 times more potent than. Ps. cubensis dried weight.

Although, it's also been reported that potency within each mushroom from the same species (and flush) can differ greatly.

Don't quote me on that though.

My Gnome reported his bioassay of a homogeonous mix of these fellers last week as:

3g dried -entry level-Nice orange colours,sharp distinct edges to parallel lines and a 'newness' to everything!

5g dried -The edge of brilliance :D

7 up -.....Next :D

Subaeruginosa is regarded as highly potent - cubies are regarded as weakly potent. 3 grams of dried cubie material should give you about the same as 1/2 to 1 gram of subs dried.

"potency within each mushroom from the same species (and flush) can differ greatly"- sorry geezer, had to agree w/that. w/the species mentioned the difference in batch potentcy isn't as great as some species, BUT the flush difference can be from 25%(from what i've read).

there are other variables like age when picked, method ov consumption,storage etc that make comparisons pretty difficult IMHO.

All good info :) thank you people...

*say if someone were to crush them up into a fine powder would they have to worry about each mushrooms potency?

This would have been a good thread for my silly gnome George to have read yesterday, before munching on some nice dried P. Subaeruginosa's.

Silly little George had looked on the shroomery and erowid to find out dosage information, and had assumed that the approx 2g dosage would be good for an interesting trip. Unfortunetly, the scales weren't particularly accurate, and a litle bit of youthful exuberance kicked in. I'd guess that silly little Gnome had about 5g of p. Subaeruginosa (dry weight, just the tops).

Needless to say, he was fucked. About an hour into the trip he was wishing for it to be over. Nothing made any sense, all there was was confusion. There was complete ego loss, none of his body felt like a part of him. He told me how he stood in the toilet and was unable to piss as he'd forgotten how (combined with a massive void in reality which he later determined realised was his jacket rather than a hole in reality). However as he left the bathroom, he realised he had actually unrinated all over the floor (normally he is a very well toilet trained Gnome).

The next three or 4 hours were spent passed out on a couch, every time he woke up he returned slightly more to reality, though the complete and utter confusion remained until about 4 hours after ingestion. At that point, after opening his eyes as he awoke, everything was almost completely normal for him, although it took a little while for him to compute exactly what had happened (ie was it all a dream, had he actually eaten shrooms at all?).

This was his first trip on shrooms. I'd put his stupidity in eating so much down a combination of yyouthful excuberance (sometimes he thinks he knows everything), and partly due to the fact he normally uses cacti, of which a massive ammount must normally be consumed for any effect.

However it tought him a valid lesson. He's not mature enough to play around with things that can have such a tremendous impact on ones psyche. He truly felt insane almost the entirity of the trip. If you cant trust yourself to start on low dosages and build yourself up over time, then you probably shouldnt be messing around with this sort of stuff.

Well thats how George feels, although i must say i agree with him, we have become quite close over time.

Cheers

I know that feeling!

5 grams of Sub's that just sounds to intence, hope he's head pulled through ok. 1.5g - 2g is all my goat will ever need.

quote:

*say if someone were to crush them up into a fine powder would they have to worry about each mushrooms potency?

This is good for getting nice even doses (can do by teaspoons or something rather than weight), but prob not a good idea to prepare too far in advance - greater surface area = faster degradation of goodies.

This goat has always kept them in glass jars and tries to keep them as full as posable, most of the time right under the lid.

He also usually measurse by teaspoon.

2 Cents

3gms in capsules had a lesser effect than the same amount spread in margerine on bread with chilli sauce!!

(so I'm told)

Just thought i might drop a little line to let you know how George, my gnome has faired after his little experience.

Even about 3 or 4 hours after the trip had finished, he felt pretty much normal - no hang over or anything like that. The next day was pretty much the same. Physically and cognitively, it seems to have had no real impact after he had finished tripping.

Unfortunetly though, he has been feeling wierd. A sort of fear crept into his life. Its a fear of how his mind reacts, a fear of how reality interacts with his mind. At first he had trouble sleeping and felt quite uncomfortable in the dark, sort of like being afraid to be alone with my thoughts. Similarly being in the same room with the same lighting conditions makes him feel uneasy, as does the prospect of being around anyone who is going to take shrooms.

Fortunetly none of this was severe, but certainly made him feel a little 'off-colour' for a few days. All is sweet now though (4 days after the event), although he still feels a little bit wierd on his own walking around the room where he tripped at night.

I guess it is to be expected, it was after all a pretty traumatic thing to happen. A little bit of post traumatic stress is always going to be on the cards.

On a lighter side, the whole thing has curbed Georges use of all drugs. He has even stopped drinking coffee and alcohol! This wont last long though me thinks =)

Cheers!

George, my gnome went through almost exactly the

same experience as yourself her first time with

subs.

My gnome was at home with her rather conservative

parents when she decided have a few fresh shrooms,

then a few more, then opps, then she thought that

the bedside lamp was her arm, then complete

depersonalisation, then ?, then finding herself

watching life evolve on the shower basin.

Many lessons learnt. Some cosmic. More practical.

It took her a while to make the choice to try

shrooms again but this time with some sort of

reasonably accurate measuring device which takes

a large chunk of 'opps' out of the experience.

Low dose shrooms are really fun. Unexpected

high doses give an appreciation for what

schitzophrenia might feel like. One positive

which came out of this 'opps' situation was the

discovery of the anti-depressant effects which

my gnome would get for a couple of weeks after

the trip.

It sounds like you did no lasting damage except

for teaching yourself a lesson of the power of

shrooms :-)

Give it a rest for a while, but don't be afraid of

exploring low doses if you feel the calling. Low

doses are very different and much more controlable

than high doses.

[ 02. July 2003, 05:31: Message edited by: somnif ]

But those highler level experiences can be very inlightening - unless they turn dark.

i seem to find that it's failure to follow the "set & setting" rule that causes 'bad trips' on high doses. i've also found that once you have one, it boomerangs on every subsequent trip, & if it was especially 'heavy'/'bad'- with lots ov unresolved 'cosmic' issues; it even creeps in to MJ stoned paranoia.

large doses are excellent fun, but i can't stress the importance ov set & setting enough.

quote:

This goat has always kept them in glass jars and tries to keep them as full as posable, most of the time right under the lid.

Yeah, pack them in good and make sure the jar seals well. Can also help prevent oxidation by filling any gaps with CO2 (soda bulbs) &/or putting in a sachet of iron/magnesium filings (they oxidise instead). Store somewhere cool and dark - freezer where possible.

I've read about stuff like silica gel being used for long term storage.

Were would one look around for this stuff?

quote:

But those highler level experiences can be very inlightening - unless they turn dark.

That about sums it up :)

I wasn't really trying to say that high level

experiences are bad, I just remember how my gnome

was put off by an unexpectedly intense first

experience and considered never exploring shrooms

again. Using well controlled doses from threshold

level and up was the best way to regain gnomes

confidence.

Even dark experiences can be important/useful.

However it is much easier to say this a few years

after the event rather than during the days

following the 'opps'