The Corroboree
RonnySimulacrum

Australian mushroom documentary

Dear friends,

We are making an independent documentary in Melbourne about the scientific, cultural and historical aspects of MAGIC MUSHROOMS (psilocybe). We are looking for anybody willing to share their opinions, experiences and thoughts on these substances.

We are looking for experienced mushroom takers, people who have taken them casually or recreationally, scientific or academic experts in any related field, including law, biology, mycology, chemistry, archaeology, anthropology, history, visual arts and cultural studies.

So please, forward this email to anybody who you think may be interested in being interviewed on camera or even just willing to speak to us.

With much appreciation, [email protected]

Jonathan Carmichael

[email protected]

Ben Lee

Yoram Symons

[ 27. January 2003, 15:27: Message edited by: RonnySimulacrum ]

I hope that the documentary does not create unwanted attention to the prevelence of majic mushroom use in Melbourne - police attention would be very much unwanted. smile.gif

That being said, i would be happy to provide local info on species, relative potency, cultivation, and my friends are all experienced shaman of cyan.

I think people are deluding themselves if they think that the authorities don't know about shrooms yet. A doco isn't going to make any difference to the public attention problem, unless some kid watches it, eats some shrooms and ends up in the hospital. but then again, this is just as likely to happen wihtout the doco.

I would love any suggestions on the kinds of topics and information that the enthobotany community would like to see covered in the documentary. Put another way what is it that the magic mushroom means to you?

Historically

Scientifically

Culturally

Etc.

Further more how has using Magic mushrooms changed your approach and views on life/culture?

I am specifically interested in the different types of people (class/ideology) that have been effected by the ‘Drug’.

Come on let me know where you would like to take this project-what you think it should cover. I have only just started shooting and have time to devote to other suggestions.

Environmental aspects might also be good to cover.

They efficiently break down wood to release nutrients for other fungi, bacteria, plants etc... to use. A link in the ecosystem chain, bla bla.

This will probably sit well with environmentally minded non drug using viewers as well as most of us.

E D

Originally posted by Torsten:

I think people are deluding themselves if they think that the authorities don't know about shrooms yet.

The thing is, "the authorities" are a diverse bunch. They include:

. public health bureaucrats

. the medical profession

. the legal profession

. politicians

. the law enforcement profession

IMO, the most likely negative outcome would be to give Joe country cop the idea that he can enhance his reputation by hanging around known shroom patches late on winter afternoons, and busting people. A second concern is that the politicians come to realise too many people are having too much fun in an untaxed and unregulated fashion.

I reckon you'll see big crack downs on mushroom pickers when mushrooms become a everyday drug you buy from a drug dealer.

I've never heard of anyone selling mushrooms around here, though I know plenty of people that have tried them, but they either picked them, or were given them by friends, No drug money being exchanged. No one getting rich of fungus.

But look at places like Nimbin where dealers do sell mushrooms on the street, the demand being higher than their supplies mostly. It's only a matter of time before police all over Australia take magic mushrooms as seriously as other drugs.

funny you should say that Torsten - ofcourse I am not suggesting that law enforcement are unaware of the use of mushrooms and my post doesnt actually say that. My point would be that media attention as some else has suggested, would drum up brow-beating about those 'young delinquents' daring to have fun with a hallucinegenic substances. This documentary being independent wouldnt have that effect alone, unless ofcourse it attracted media attention.

At a recent dance party that i attended, due to the current restricted availability of LSD, I was shocked by being offered mushrooms atleast four times by different people - something that is uncommon in this particular scene in my experience. I talked at length with one of these people and he said that he has been caught with mushrooms before and the police asked him which paddock he picked them in. A stupid question when you consider that dung-loving psilocybes generally have not been reported in Victoria. These particular officers acted as if they had been briefed on psychoactive mushrooms by people who had experience with mushrooms from other states, rather than Victoria. But if acid is not around and more people are looking for shrooms as a recreational substance, and this increase in prevalence sparks media attention, then im sure that law enforcement will quickly learn everything there is to know about Australian psilocybes.

Guest reville
Originally posted by John_Barleycorn:

the most likely negative outcome would be to give Joe country cop the idea that he can enhance his reputation by hanging around known shroom patches late on winter afternoons, and busting people. B]

then youll have the same ituation as in WA, its not fun.

and worse still - what if....

it brings attention to the fact that they can be grown amongst the mulched roses and Ivy in peoples yards! or how about most council and commercial buildings mulched with copious amounts of tree trimmings especially as we now have access to more than a dozen species and online instructions on how to use them.

my god youd have a riot!

I dont think the authorities or the australian public are ready for the whole truth.

and/or

People equating mushies with "mushroom madness"(!!!!!) get suspect at people out picking and dob you in?

over in WA they spray areas suspected of having shrooms with a fungicide. the system is bent and doesnt need encouragement

[This message has been edited by reville (edited 24 July 2002).]

Originally posted by bluemeanie:

My point would be that media attention as some else has suggested, would drum up brow-beating about those 'young delinquents' daring to have fun with a hallucinegenic substances.

sure, but I think it will be shortlived, overtaken by the next heroin wave when it hits. Much more newsworthy.

This documentary being independent wouldnt have that effect alone, unless ofcourse it attracted media attention.

Fungimentary did the same, and caused exactly the same problems (people heading ot the patch in droves), but how long did it take, and just how many people got turned onto shrooms in the process?? I think you have to consider the balance of keepign things quiet and really expanding the minds of the rest of society. Cannabis isn't being relaxed on simply because a chosen few have kept it a good secret. It had to be relaxed simply because of the masses of people getting involved with it. A person who takes shrooms in their young adulthood is unlikely to support shroom prohibition in later life. The way to change the laws is by creating a big wave. So what if the cops cotton on? what difference does it make?? really?? They are already suspisicious about anything that looks like plant or mushroom material, so what is a bit of hype going to change?? More people will start to cultivate them, more people will challenge the law in court, more people will vote agains the oppressive authoritarian goverments.

At a recent dance party that i attended, due to the current restricted availability of LSD, I was shocked by being offered mushrooms atleast four times by different people

That's nothing new. I remember being offered shrooms as far back as the first rave ever to be held at the Palace in Melbourne. can't remember the year, but it would be about 1990. The week after that i even scored a piece of cardboard (really thick and chunky) which had psilocin or psilocybin soaked onto it. F*ck that was good. In Europe shorroms are at every party. They are common, so often they are free. Sometimes you have to pay - especially for dried ones. In Japan they are the mainstay of the trance culture.

These particular officers acted as if they had been briefed on psychoactive mushrooms by people who had experience with mushrooms from other states, rather than Victoria.

makes sense. Good for victorian shroomers wink.gif

then im sure that law enforcement will quickly learn everything there is to know about Australian psilocybes.

I can understand the worry about plants that are marginally legal or totally legal, but shrooms are already 100% illegal, so why worry about it.

Originally posted by Torsten:

I can understand the worry about plants that are marginally legal or totally legal, but shrooms are already 100% illegal, so why worry about it. [/b]

At the moment, where I live police don't seem to care about mushroom pickers. One of the most famous mushroom fields in my area is on the main road that feeds into the largest police depot in my city, and it's about 3 minutes drive away. You get a huge amount of people walking the fields with their cotton bags heads tilted towards the ground. Police cars are constantly going past, and they also visit the Shopping Centre next to the field. You see them parking, often have a bit of a look at people in the field and walk off to do whatever they're there for.

The reason they could't be bothered doing anything is probably because their is no incentive to do anything, as mushrooms currently are such a low profile drug. There is no "having to be seen to be doing their job" situation with nabbing mushroom pickers as the average Joe Blow in the street doesn't perceive mushrooms in the same light as marijuana, and still others would have no idea about hallucinogenic mushrooms. Imagine marijuana bush's popped up over night in farmers fields. The cops would have them staked out morning to night waiting for people to arrive

I fear with mushroom culture becoming so mainstream, probably mainly due to the internet,it's only a matter of time before police around here do start busting people on a mass scale.

But still the less attention mushrooms get in the media the better.

[This message has been edited by blog (edited 25 July 2002).]

Torsten: 'A person who takes shrooms in their young adulthood is unlikely to support shroom prohibition in later life.'

This is not necessarily true. I know for a fact that the majority of people who have used mushrooms do so once or twice, experience profoundly negative effects, freak-out and tell everyone how the mushrooms make you 'go out of your head' and 'fuck you up.' These are the people who would openly tell anyone that they found mushrooms to give 'bad trips' and that they are dangerous.

As someone else has suggested, currently there really isnt a major insentive for police to go around catching mushroom hunters in Melbourne because their use is limited to groups of friends running around in parks and at home - and not taking these at dance-parties or out in public.

I personally have never seen shrooms at mainstream dance parties - confest/earthcore types events sure - but not at clubs - and it was fun watching 18-year-old uni students getting paranoid.

The more our fungal friends turn up in the media and mainstream, the more police will have to be seen to be doing their jobs, and they may even go around spraying fungacide here like in WA and NZ

Thank-you all for your ideas and comments, they have been very useful.

Some thoughts on some of the issues raised;

What do the cops know?

Here I am specifically referring to what the Victorian police department knows. In the early 80s a forensic scientist produced a thesis titled “Analysis of Hallucinogens in Psilocybe-type mushrooms”. His thesis covers a variety of different topics, but its prime purpose was to develop different techniques for extracting and measuring the potency of the substances Psilocybe and Psilocin in Subaeruginosa. Furthermore to investigate how stable the substances were in a variety of differing conditions over time, there is also some notes on synthesis. This information was gathered for help in prosecuting “a person [that] has been charged with selling or trafficking 0.1 gram or above of psilocybin or psilocin” (86).

I have spoken to the author, who still works for the police and he is willing to speak for the documentary about the police and Magic Mushrooms, but we have to get it cleared by his supervisor. Unofficially however, he did tell me that in the 80s the Victorian police where expecting an epidemic breakout in Pscilocybin consumption, and I guess judging by the research, the establishment of a network of people that would sell Magic Mushrooms/Psilocybe and Psilocin to the masses. However as far as he is concerned this never eventuated. Unofficially the uses of Magic mushrooms according to my source were and are not a major concern to the Victorian police department.

The most important thing to note here is that the research and prosecution information is not focused at the users of the ‘drug’ but its distributors.

If magic mushrooms are not on the agenda at the top of the pyramid, then they are very unlikely to be an issue at the bottom, e.g. in the minds of the individual policeman.

So there is little the police department in Victoria does not know about magic mushrooms, but they simply do not consider their usage to be a major public health issue.

Will a documentary on Magic Mushrooms create unwanted attention or bad press that may effect our stash?

The documentary is an independent production outside the normal systems of the mass media machine. We hope to get the documentary on SBS, which is only watched by 5% of the population in Australia. This is not considered to be mass exposure, and if you watch SBS you will know a documentary about people using magic mushrooms or other Hallucinogens is not very controversial subject matter. SBS often puts on other programs that challenge the government and ‘commonsense’ notions in a much more radical way. Hallucinogenic drug use is small fry.

We also will be entering the documentary in film festivals, again these completions are run by the educated art elite. They have all been introduced to the concept of psychedelics and know where they fit into culture.

So from my understanding this documentary will not be seen by the kinds of people who are going to somehow tell the government to tell the police department to go get those mushroom eaters. If you do not want bad press come forward and show that you are educated and perfectly normal members of society----not stoners-----YOU CAN CREATE YOUR OWN IMAGE------We can not blame others for stereotypes if we are not willing to try and correct them.

I also thought that if we released the documentary when it is not mushroom season then any hype would die down by the time they came back into season, minimising any dramatic media attention.

Mushroom takers in social space and nightclubs

There have always been people taking hallucinogenic ‘drugs’ and going out into social space-that is half the fun. Hallucinogenic drug uses at an outdoor Rave event is a given, everybody knows, everybody goes. In the last few weeks I have seen many people in Melbourne rave clubs on them—always funny. Often people go out to places like Belgrave and Warrandyte on mushrooms too. Try Looking up a tree in you local suburban park and you will probably see someone who ‘knows where it is at’ at least once a week. Mushrooms are not some kind of sacred unknown, people know about them and they just think it is normal (too an extent), as long as you do not specifically interfere with their night. The worst kind of person generally in public is a drunken aggressive one, Not a mushroom taker that minds his or her own business.

If you are wondering about the types of people I have already interviewed here is a vague list:

Mycologist

Neuroscientist

Photographers

Indigenous Australians

Writers

Schizophrenics

Meditation teachers

New Age and witches

I am negotiating with many other people but if you have any ideas about who I should defiantly speak to one the subject let me know, and if you wold like to get involved you know how to find us.

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by RonnySimulacrum (edited 13 August 2002).]

My 'stash' will be safe no matter how interested police may become.

I am interested in the paper that this person wrote about psilocybe subaeruginosa and would love to read it. My understanding was that there has only ever been one serious chemical examination of subaeruginosa which was conducted in the 70s and that was before Guzman delineated Ps. Subaeruginosa into four or possibly more species. but like ive said before, my understanding could be wrong! smile.gif

I am fully aware that police in Victoria would have material covering all aspects of psilocybe mushrooms, but that this information is not readily briefed to ever member of their force because they do not percieve it to be a problem. But perception could be swiftly altered if media attention warranted that they be seen to be doing their jobs... not that it would last.

With that in mind i admire what you are doing and would be very interested to see the end product. If you are at all interested in aspects of cultivation etc, let me know...

Im not sure about your points at the bottom there. I for one am well versed in the varied forms of psilocybin intoxication - be it at a party, in a forest, on a lake, on a mountain or in the seething saturday night city and i am in no way claiming that my mushroom use is more profound or righteous than anyone else's. I for one dont give a flying f how the corperate sponsored media portrays mushroom users. They can marginalise mushroom users any way they see fit as far as i am concerned - i have no need to justify my mushroom use or try and educate people.

After all we are people first/mushroom users second - we have lives other than mushroom-use. BTW mushrooms are very sacred!! smile.gif

[This message has been edited by bluemeanie (edited 01 August 2002).]

****** MUSHROOM DOCUMENTARY UPDATE *****

For those of you who are interested, the project seems to be coming together at great pace pace, the interest so far has been far and wide. It is rather unfortunate at the moment that some of our greatest interest is coming from beyond our shores. This of course presents itself with many logistical problems when in comes to including these individuals in our documentary.

However this is really a positive sign. Our research is certainly proving that Melbourne appears well and truly upon the psychedelic map.

There are many areas where we are in need of some willing people who have interest and/or practical experience who are willing to talk to us.

Some of these include:

- Anyone who has been prosecuted for psilocybin offences, or perhaps hospitalised.

- Any growers willing to take us through and show us the visuals of the funghi

- Users to show us preparation and storage techniques.

- phenomenology experiences/ specific personal mushroom experiences/ theories.

- Experience related to any religion (world or otherwise)

- Trance or psy-trance DJ's who use psilocybin

- Mushroom inspired artwork/representations (any medium)

- Any specific Aust. researcg, eg. Mycological papers/journal articals, neurophsychological work etc.

- Anyone who is able to discuss the specific connections between psychedlic drugs and the New Edge technology and culture.

Don't forget, it is a very visual documentary, However, if you feel that you have some very pertinant info, and/or stories to tell us, then of course we can obscure your identity to protect your public standing within our community.

Thank you for all your resposes and interset so far, keep it coming, we're interested in anything that you have to say!

(email) [email protected]

Maybe you should contact John Allen (MJshroomer on the shroomery) as im sure he'd be willing to appear and lend his knowledge.

I suppose it would be quite risky for someone to appear and admit that they cultivate psilocybe mushrooms - especially those that know what they are doing. I hope this doesnt flavour the film with stories of blue-honey storage and the like...

I hope your able to find some long-term users - people like the two swiss guys in their forties who gave me my first mushrooms in New Zealand - these are the guys that could really tell you what mushroom use is all about - and Terrace McKenna!!

Guest reville
Originally posted by RonnySimulacrum:

We hope to get the documentary on SBS, which is only watched by 5% of the population in Australia.

crumbs.I must be the total back to front viewer, The only times i leave SBS is to catch new simpsons, catch a doco or escape the soccer.

The good thing about making a video bluemeanie is that you can include things about cultivate psilocybe that would give no one away or be incriminating.....but just demonstrate that it can be done by showing some close up footage that dose not have the people that have cultivation the mushrooms in shot. Like shots of too hands and some agar culture or a pressure cooker. But I a some you are aware of this. Then we get some voiceover from some guy on the other side of the world to go with it and there we have it....we do not even need to show the process, just have some one walk us throw it in words (this is legal any way).

Is John Allen in Australia?

Long term and experienced users is something i am really pushing for, but they have to come forward. I am not telepathic.....not yet anyway

I am hoping to get hold of Dr Tom May soon, I was wandering if you would help me prepare some hard core questions.........He think he is the best mycologist in the state......lets find out. You can come to the interview if you would like.

Thanks for the tips.

Ask him if he is examined specimens of Subaeruginosa from around southern australia - not jsut Victoria.

Ask him how the same mushroom could possibly be lignious and coprophilous.

Ask him how the same mushroom could develop differing microscopic characteristics - such as lageniform pleurocystidia in some specimens, fuscoid ventricose in others with definate differences in the size of the spores. And how these specimens demonstrate individual and unique fruiting characteristics, unique mycelia characteristics as well as these microscopic variations and that these are demonstratably consistant and stabble through the cultivation of these mushrooms over many generations.

Ask him where and if he has found ps.semilanceata in Melbourne smile.gif

There have been some interesting developments.

Update coming soon.

Thanks for your continuing interest

During the time we have been working on the documentary it has repeatedly come up that if we just focus on Melbourne/Victoria we will be missing some of the most vital spokes people in the country, on this topic. On the other hand to attempt an in-depth national documentary with in the space of 42 minutes is nothing but ignorant.

Struggling with shoestring budget and attempting to maintain a sharp focus on Psilocybe type mushrooms and their relevant cultural phenomena, we have devised a concept that will give the documentary a national input and still keep the subject mater fairly localized.

We are looking for freelance digital filmmakers from within the Ethnobotany community, or Anthropology and/or Visual arts, to volunteer to interview some relevant experts within their state or region.

The material collected will be incorporated into the Forbidden Fruit documentary and other relevant projects. The work collected will be fully credited and may help them meet contacts that they can then use to there advantage (e.g. the interviewees and/or we can do some work for them in Melbourne in the future).

We will coordinate the work to some extent, by its content base only, and the rest would be left up to their own ingenuity in regard to presentation style. What I mean by this is we have some people we specifically would like to interview and some specific questions we would like to put to them, beyond that you can collect what you like in the boundaries of the overriding ideology of the project. Which is simply;

The object of the documentary is to play varying discourses off of one another to provide a large range of

radically differing opinions and understandings of the same object/myth – the magic mushroom.

More specific details of the project will be provided to interested parties.

Already obtained relevant material can be incorporated as long as the submitter has permission to submit it for screening e.g.: have received permission from the person who owns and the person who is in the relevant footage (usually the Producer owns these rights)

What we are specifically asking is for volunteers to collect about 2-4 hours of footage that will amount to about five minutes or less of screen time depending on its quality and relevance. This may sound a big ask, but anybody who has done this kind of work before will know this ratio is pretty normal in the digital documentary world. This kind of information will also give insight to those of you that have taken an interview or are thinking about it, to how the project will all go together.

If you are asking yourself, I am interested in this but do I meet the criteria? Well here it is:

1. Understand that this is a serious documentary.

Understand that we are not looking for a load of footage of people that are Buzzing like

Fridge’s.

2. Understand the subject matter and its varying political and cultural angles.

3. Must be familiar with interviewing techniques and handling diverse people of varying backgrounds in a serious, empathetic and understanding way.

4. Be familiar and capable of framing good and useable shots.

5. Have a good microphone, and a DAT recorder or Mini Disc (unless using balanced XLR in)

6. Preferably some sound and lighting experience.

7. Must have a MINI DV/DVCAM camcorder (or better!), that can produce true 16:9 on 4:3 ratio CCDs. E.g. Sony PD100/150 3CCD MINI DV with a 16:9 Anamorphic adapter converter lens.

8. Be Flexible, enthusiastic, have own transport and have some time to set aside for the project

over the next 3 months.

If you meat the criteria and are still interested let us know.

This is an opportunity for filmmakers to get some interview experience on a diverse and interesting topic matter, regularly considered by the mainstream as taboo. It is also a chance for us to include a national input and incorporate varying people, information and knowledge on the subject, to get the stories told and issues raised in a serious fashion. This could of course form a base for any independents own projects, and a platform for them to start compiling their own catalogue of source material for future use.

If this sounds like you, or you know somebody who may be interested in participating in this film work we would be delighted to hear from you. Please show your interest and/or ask us some questions.

*********** MUSHROOM UPDATE ************

For those whom it may concern…. So far our research has lead us to speak with the three main academics in the field of Mycology, so as far as Melbourne is concerned, we are happy that we have spoken to them all, and they have got to contribute to this documentary. After our initial outburst upon the community things have finally started to slow down (for good or for bad, we cannot tell!!) However, now is still your chance, if you do want to share your experiences, we have the time to speak with you.

We have had a tremendous response from artists Australia wide, however, as far as actually obtaining works that we can use, so far, very few works have actually reached us in the format we need. We of course have plenty of visuals, but on a personal note, I think it would be a shame not to showcase some of the wonderful home grown talent on offer. The chance is out there, just give us a call!

There will be website posted soon to keep an eye on, I will put the URL out possibly next week, so feel free to forward it too all interested.

Lastly, a big thank you to all who have helped out so far, all input is much appreciated, it’s good to know there are so many learned people out there with information share.

Keep it up, regards. Ben Lee & jonathan Carmicael

[email protected]

Hello peoples...

After reading pretty intensively for the last few weeks...

I would like to digress what has now become apparent from my reading...

As we come to the end of this galactic spin (26,000 years) what has been previously learnt & stored unconsciously through living & dying is about to become conscious...with or without the use of entheogens...

The codons from the I-Ching...6 line hexagrams...64 in all...are the 64 combinations of the genetic LIFE cycle...these are the combinations that create all life...unlocking the code to the next cycle...

If we arrange the numbers 1-64 in an 8 by 8 square, so that all verticle & horizontal lines = 260...8 being the galactic number & 260 being the next part of the puzzle...the mayan tzolkin...see www.tortuga.com

The central 64 units of the tzolkin set out in the order...

16 50 9 55 11 53 14 52

1 63 8 58 6 60 3 61

64 2 57 7 59 5 62 4

49 15 56 10 54 12 51 13

48 18 41 23 43 21 46 20

33 31 40 26 38 28 35 29

32 34 25 39 27 37 30 36

17 47 24 42 22 44 19 45

When we join the dots...this shows us the template of the genetic life cycle...1=alpha...64=omega

Unlocking the code for the next part...the 260 combinations of the galactic light cycle.

20 Tribes & 13 tones...fingers & toes & joints of the body are on either side of the mystic 7th column...the 52 galactic activation portals also correspond to centres within the body also on either side of the mystic column...

The senses also fit into this pattern starting on the outside with touch then taste, smell,hearing & sight...Mind takes the two columns next to the central as consciousness...

So to follow the I-Ching is to unlock ourselves from the planetary circuit & connect to the solar circuit...

When we use d.m.t. containing plants the circuitry of the mind is stepped up...revealing the light cycle & the weaves of the different layers of consciousness...

All IS Good...

Ciao for now...

I-Ching...therefore...Tai Chi...

Peace & Love...

Rioso.

[This message has been edited by Rioso (edited 01 November 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Rioso (edited 01 November 2002).]

Thank you very much Rioso...you have made my day 3 times over.

[This message has been edited by RonnySimulacrum (edited 03 November 2002).]