The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Darklight

I'll never understand mycelia ;)

I didn't want to ask this question in public cos I feel silly, but as an Out Bimbo I shouldn't be ashamed I guess so here goes.

I have placed some grain spawn innoculated with the culinary mushroom Volvarella which grows on straw, into a shopping bag full of lime soaked straw. Tied and sealed the bags about three weeks ago

The innoculum seems healthy, moving into the surrounding straw, but not at such a rapid rate. My question is, am I waiting for all the straw to be innoculated before I interleave it into normal/ more alkaline straw and wait for growth, or am I only innoclating the shopping bag straw - sorta hothousing it- for primordia formation and I put it out as is and wait for fruit?

ie Is what I have in the shopping bags my sole cropping resource or can I extend it on the ground into larger piles

It might seem like a dumb question. I've looked up my refs but they're confusing. Remember too that I've spent yeeeears trying to eradicate mycelium from my otherwise sterile working environment and so until recently was inclined to pay it no attention at all. I even cringe when I see the stuff, its become instinctive wink.gif

Originally posted by Darklight:

[ My question is, am I waiting for all the straw to be innoculated before I interleave it into normal/ more alkaline straw and wait for growth, or am I only innoclating the shopping bag straw - sorta hothousing it- for primordia formation and I put it out as is and wait for fruit?

Well I am a kind off newbie but it seems logical that you first try to grow it the easy way before respawming it.

Good luck any way,

Eric