The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
peas-pipe

"Canning Jars"

Not sure which forum this should be posted in, but anyways ...

Does anyone know where to get some screw top, air tight jars that don't have a tapered top, by not tapered I mean that the diameter of the bottom of the jar is the same size as the diameter of the top of the jar?

They are referred to as canning jars in a US mushroom growers how-to. (edible cooking mushrooms obviously)

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Try a search. I'm sure there have been heaps and heaps of threads about Fowlers or Vacola canning or preserving jars and their respective virtues compared to other products

Guest Mesqualero

Fowlers Australia, as Darklight said, do sell them. Sometimes they can be found in Mitre 10.. If ur looking for Half-Pint jars with wide mouth they do not sell them anymore.. I have only even found wide mouth jars in the 500ml size.. which i am guessing is about a pint.

Look in the trading post and stuff cos sometimes ppl sell jars of all sorts.

I find a pint glass just as good.

Just use a couple of layers of Al foil and tape down airtightly with autoclave tape. The tape over the top but leave a small bit of exposed foil to inoculate through. This and a 1/2 an inch of fine vermiculite on top of the cake and you'll get no contamination.

Nice and easy, and slips out easily as well

Kai.

I have searched hard for these in Perth.

The only suitable ones I could find where up in Kalamunda and cost $5 each.

At the moment I am using glass tumblers that cost $1.45 at KMart Kardinya.

I seal them up with alfoil. The first time I tried I taped the seals closed so no water would get in, but the pressure inside the glass was too great and caused the alfoil to lift, and water got in.

The second time, I didn't use tape, but I'm not sure if water got in or not. I innoculated one so I guess we'll just wait and see.

no water gets in...just use a (double if you want) layer of al foil & secure it with an elastic band, then another alfoil square on top, just fold this one down gently so later, you can lift it off easily to innoculate..then replace the square and fold it down firmly..it needn't be airtight..some gas exchange is beneficial..& the foil acts as a sortof protective baffle, not to mention the protective verm layer (which really isn't necessary but it does seem to help regulate condensation, etc)

safeway & kin, usually sell el-cheapo imported drinking glasses..these are fine

don't get all anal about finding the 'right' jars, you're just delaying your first harvest wink.gif

[This message has been edited by coin (edited 04 June 2002).]

Originally posted by Darklight:

Try a search. I'm sure there have been heaps and heaps of threads about Fowlers or Vacola canning or preserving jars and their respective virtues compared to other products

Sorry for not searching smile.gif, here are some other threads that maybe helpful ...

http://www.shaman-australis.com/ubb/Archiv...8-2-000164.html

http://www.shaman-australis.com/ubb/Archiv...7-5-000354.html

Cheers everyone.