Sign in to follow this  
Guest reville

Phalaris varieties - Turkey red and Big medicine

Guest reville

Im looking for seed of the following varieties

Turkey red

Big medicine

Turkey red is an older one with a nice clean 5MeO profile

Big medicine is a newer one that Johnny appleseed says will be offerred via herbal shaman. its not there yet apparently

Does anyone know where to find it?Its an apparently clean DMT source

Guest reville

Keep away from grazing animals as it causes an intoxication called "staggers" due to the high tryptamine content. If boiled for over 15 minutes, much of the tryptamines are destroyed, making the grass more suitable as a high quality animal feed.

This from Herbal shaman.

WTF? Is this true?

I've read this in a toxic plants book. There was even a picture of some poor sheep under the influence. It had its head tilted RIGHT BACK as though it was looking straight up into the sky. Never seen a sheep do 'that' before.

[This message has been edited by Fractalhead (edited 06 June 2002).]

BTW what's the EASIEST way to extract from phalaris grass?

The Australiana 1 variety i got of rev is growing nicely....

Guest reville

Hi fractal

Yes ive read about the poisoning before too.

What i hadnt read was that boiling for over 3 minutes destroyed the tryptamines

heres why that puzzles me

in the last edition of the entheogen review there was an article/interview with a fellow named johnny appleseeed

His newer method is to take a drum full of boiling water and acidyfy it with the juice of a dozen lemons then add 2 kg of dry phalaris grass boil for 15 minutes then remove grass and simmer the brew down to about one gallon or so.

If the initial statement is true then this has to be a grossly inefficient way of doing things

a few other inconsistencies

2kg of phalaris is a lot - however it is implied that JA only harvests infrequently and thus picks the older mature and weaker blades. He adds that a colleague of his has

recently brought to attention the idea of weekly harvests of young green material (alakloids up )

The reason for the 15 minute boil is that it is claimed that whilst the DMT and 5MeODMT are extracted in this timeframe the 'toxic' principles are not. From various report ive read these txic factors can be quite unpleasant even dangerous especially with a MAOi

There is a page on the web that explains these toxic principles more and ill try and find that again and post it

this same page claims that 40 g of freshly harvested AQ1 is sufficient. Now thats interesting

I live by the principle 'The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese'.More info and first hand accounts appreciated.

Originally posted by reville:

juice of a dozen lemons then add 2 kg of dry phalaris grass boil for 15 minutes then remove grass and simmer the brew down to about one gallon or so.

so he used dry grass?

The reason for the 15 minute boil is that it is claimed that whilst the DMT and 5MeODMT are extracted in this timeframe the 'toxic' principles are not

this same page claims that 40 g of freshly harvested AQ1 is sufficient.

So that's the go: 15 mins for 40 g of fresh grass...shouldn't be too hard....

Does it have to be a lot of water or just a

bit?

Don't extrapolate from AQ1 to other phalaris varieties. AQ1 is rather potent.

I thought the toxic compounds in phalaris were mostly gramine and substituted gramine. I am pretty sure they have similar solubilities to tryptamines, unless it is the citrates that have such vastly different solubilities to allow separation.

boiling tryptamines for 15 minutes definitely doesn't kill them. in fact most of the early recipes and much of the stuff extracted these days is boiled for many hours without loss.

however, phalaris staggers in sheep are not conclusively linked to tryptamines, as sheep have been seen grazing on tryptamine rich grass without effect. large doses of tryptamines have also been given to sheep without much effect. it seems likely that the answer lies elsewhere and one of the favorite theories is that there might be a fungus present under certain conditions, possibly producing ergot alkaloids.