The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

"read this fucked up bullshit"

http://www.404audio.com/forum/viewtopic.ph...der=asc&start=0

quote:

Last night, I was booked to play an event about an hour outside of Salt Lake City, Utah. The hype behind this show was huge, they presold 700 tickets and they expected up to 3,000 people total. The promoters did an amazing job with the show.. they even made slipmats with the flyers on them to promote in local shops.

So, we got to the show around 11:15 or so and it was really cool. It was all outdoors, in a valley surrounded by huge mountains. They had an amazing light show flashing on to a mountain behind the site, the sound was booming, the crowd was about 1500 people thick and everything just seemed too good to be true really. Well...

At about 11:30 or so, I was standing behind the stage talking with someone when I noticed a helicopter pulling over one of the mountain tops. I jokingly said "Oh look, here comes big brother" to the person I was with. I wasn't far off.

The helicopter dipped lower and lower and started shining its lights on the crowd. I was kind of in awe and just sat and watched this thing circle us for a minute. As I looked back towards the crowd I saw a guy dressed in camoflauge walking by, toting an assault rifle. At this point, everyone was fully aware of what was going on . A few "troops" rushed the stage and cut the sound off and started yelling that everyone "get the fuck out of here or go to jail". This is where it got really sticky.

No one resisted. That's for sure. They had police dogs raiding the crowd of people and I saw a dog signal out a guy who obviously had some drugs on him. The soldiers attacked the guy (4 of them on 1), and kicked him a few times in the ribs and had their knees in his back and sides. As they were cuffing him, there was about 1000 kids trying to leave in the backdrop, peacefully. Next thing I know, A can of fucking TEAR GAS is launched into the crowd. People are running and screaming at this point. Girls are crying, guys are cussing... bad scene.

Now, this is all I saw with my own eyes, but I heard plenty of other accounts of the night. Now this isnt gossip I heard from some candy raver, these are instances cited straight out of the promoters mouth..

- One of the promoters friends (a very small female) was attacked by one of the police dogs. As she struggled to get away from it, the police tackled her. 3 grown men proceeded to KICK HER IN THE STOMACH.

- The police confiscated 3 video tapes in total. People were trying to document what was happening out there. The police saw one guy filming and ran after him, tackled him and his camera fell, and luckily.. his friend grabbed it and ran and got away. priceless footage. That's not all though. Out of 1,500 people, there's sure to be more footage.

- The police were rounding up the staff of the party and the main promoter went up to them with the permit for the show and said "here, I have the permit." The police then said, "no you don't" and ripped the permit out of his hand. Then, they put an assault rifle to his forehead and said "get the fuck out of here right now."

Now.. let's get the facts straight here.

This event was 100% legal. They had every permit the city told them they needed. They had a 2 MILLION DOLLAR insurance policy for the event. They had liscenced security guards at the gates confiscating any alcohol or drugs found upon entry (yes, they searched every car on the way in). Oh, I suppose I should mention that they arrested all the security guards for possession.

Oh another interesting fact.. the police did not have a warrant. The owner of the land already has a lawsuit against the city for something similar. A few months ago, she rented her land for a party and the police raided that as well. And catch this, the police forced her to LEAVE HER OWN PERSONAL PROPERTY. That's right. They didnt arrest her, but made her leave her own property!!!

Don't get it twisted, this is all going down in probably THE most conservative state in the USA. And this is scary.. a gross violation of our civil liberties. The police wanted this party shut down, so they made it happen. Even though everything about this event was legal. The promoters spent over $ 20,000 on this show and did everything they had to to make it legit, only to have it taken away from them by a group of radical neo-con's with an agenda.

This was one of the scariest things I have ever witnessed in person. I can't even begin to describe how surreal it was. Helicopters, assault rifles, tear gas, camoflauge-wearing soldiers.... why? Was that really necessary?

This needs to be big news across the USofA. At least in our music scene (edm as a whole)... this could happen to any of us at any time. When we're losing the right to gather peacefully, we're also letting the police set a standard of what we can get away with. And I think that's BULLSHIT!

The system fucked up last night... They broke up a party that was 100% legal and they physically hurt a lot of people there at the same time. The promoters already have 6 lawsuits ready to file with their lawyers and the ACLU is already involved.

I'm sure some pictures (and hopefully some video) will surface soon. I'll make sure to post them up here on 404, so you can see the Police State of America at work.

Check the link, some video footage, and more accounts. Crazy shit.

http://forums.utrave.org/showthread.php?t=...71&page=4&pp=10

More accounts.

quote:

it only gets worse. And its not going to get any better. Last nite was the straw that broke the camels back. I wont stand for this. I have already taken pictures of my bruises as i was attacked by 3 men. I am a woman.

I am hosting the video footage (quite brutal), for as long as I can

http://www.herbix.org/facism.wmv

[ 23. August 2005, 07:56: Message edited by: apothecary ]

Speechless. Justice through the legal system is painstakingly slow

that angers me to no extend.

All i can say that ive seen the same sort of un warrented violence whilst i lived over there. no point to go into details, but believe me, it IS that bad at times.

fucking stupid.

It just makes me feel sick.

This is the democracy the US is exporting around the world?

The video is especially messed up. I thought reports might be exaggerated, but nope, there are guys who look the same as the ones you see in Iraq on CNN.

That is to say, full body armour, assault rifle, helmet.

What the fuck were these guys expecting?

:mad: This is unbelievable... lets just hope this brand of American Justice doesn't reach our shores

"What the Fuck were they expecting"

Yeh fully kitted up with assualt rifle etc. like these bastards are going on some kinda military exercise. How out of control does the "Man" have to be before people realise and stand up for themselves, especially in the USA with the constitution.

[ 23. August 2005, 12:40: Message edited by: Young Tripper ]

That's fucked up, man. We once had a tekno-rave with international djz. It was for a very selective crowd, about 500 people. Lot's of them came from abroad, Finland, Germany, Frence, Italy and Holland. At 3.40 police raided. Closed the party. My friend, only 18 years old had payed everything himself. Wich was a huge amount for sucha young man. They didn't find that much drugs, but we weren't allowed to go in anymore. Without reasons, a message etc ... they just fall in. But they didn't use violence. They don't use violence quickly over here. But those conservative ppl don't have any clue about the world. They think raves are like satanistic parties where we slaugther young virgins.

Btw, police raided a teknofestival not long ago in Eastern-Europe somewhere. Dunno links anymore, will search them. Pictures were awful, peacefully ppl minding their own business just being kicked in the face for nothing, teargas ...

The Worst to me is the fact that they probably won´t have to suffer any consequences for their misusages and breaches of the law. If you wear a badge you can do almost everything you want. That sucks.

had a quick look at american news websites.

cant find any mention so far.

anyone found anything - how have the media treated this?

this could very well backfire against the man. on some forum someone was saying this could be the straw that broke the camels back - lets hope so.

be good to see a strong movement form out of this

This has implications far beyond the rave scene -- basically, I think the peace activists and anyone who protests the war over here should be aware of this.

Not to mention musicians.

It's unbelievable. And of course, we have the usual press blackout over here, the same as with the Marc Emery case -- not a word.

Thanks for posting this. I don't follow the rave scene and might not have heard about this. This story has got to be spread far and wide all over the american empire and the rest of the world.

I wonder who, specifically, ordered the raid?

The media so far praise the authorities for stopping a drug & crime fest. There was an e overdose too.

This is not a good event to challenge the rave act on. Police found lots of drugs and guns and other weapons. Made me wonder what sort of a rave this was... turns out to be a drum n bass event. The dnb event in sydney were always the worst for guns, knife attacks and violence, so this does not surprise me. The only thing worse are Hip Hop events. The number of security needed for a hip hop event is about 10x that what you need for a rave (in the mid 90's)! And the worst thing is that you actually *needed* them whereas bouncers in raves usually just hang around bored.

The other iffy thing was that bouncers were searching people on the way in and taking their drugs off them. This is standard practice at raves, but often has a certain purpose that is not so obvious. Promoters and/or security firms usually have 'housedealers' who have to share a part of the profits with the organisers/security and enjoy full immunity. By confiscating all drugs on the way in this dramatically increases revenue. This was standard procedure for almost EVERY rave I have ever been involved in (mind you, this was never something I had control over and I think it is totally unethical)!! Security firms would often not charge for their services on the basis of such an arrangement (and sometimes the organisers wouldn't even be aware of the whole thing happening). I have never seen confiscated drugs being handed to the police or being flushed! They always 'disappear'.

Anyway, the media is making this claim for the event in the states and the people on the discussion boards are all shocked in disbelief. Kinda funny to think that after 15 years this is still a 'trade secret'.

[ 23. August 2005, 19:16: Message edited by: Torsten ]

land of the free

home of depraved

Wtf are weapons doin' at raves ???? They don't belong there .. fuck, that's really fucked up.

Once went to a rave in Denmark. 3 hours in the row, everyone was searched by police and drugdogs. It was at an awesome location at a seaport on an island between industrie and big boats with thousands of lights. Never saw anything like that. On the other hand I was glad that most people there were normal older people, no stupid dopeheads or fashion victims. But it's really sad that police is neccesary for this :(.

Hehe, normally it was sold out, but I laughed very sweet at the girl who let people in and told her me and my friends came from very far. We were the only people with free entrance and no controle :D . The only smoke of weed in there came from Belgians

was at a squatted house party rave in north london back in '92. the police busted that up w/the riot & dog squad.

all the cops had disposable gloves tucked into their belts & afew people were bundled into the back ov a van for totally illegal internal cavity searches ---it wasn't funny.

it was funny to see them chasing these fluffys w/dogs, shouting

"if you can't do the time, don't do the crime"

--seriously.

anyone remember the cops busting that gay club in melbourne a few years ago? as i remember they lined all the patrons up & searched them to.

it took a few years, but a class action by the patrons won them some damages & the police copped a real hiding in court.

T, it's come to attention that one of the gun owners was the land owner (licensed)!! and the others may have been the security guards who had permits for concealed weapons.

The threat at utrave.org is getting huge.

There has been some better media coverage here

http://www.abc4.tv/local_news/local_headli...AE-9988C45CE8A7

and some not dickhead reporters like this one

quote:

Hello. My name is Michael N. Westley. I am a reporter for The Salt Lake Tribune. I am hoping that any of you that were at the event will call me and share your experiences, on the record, of what happened Saturday night. As far as fair, accurate reporting, well, please don't forget not to shoot the messenger. I know many of you are upset with the police, don't take that out on me. They get to have their say. And so do you. NOW. So call me. Let's get your words in print. I will be doing a great deal of investigation today about the permits etc. -- things that simply can't be checked on a Sunday. I need to hear from the event organizers and anyone hired to play or work for the event. I would hope that at least a FEW of you out there actually know who I am and know that I personally am a friend of the rave, electronic music culture. Does ANYONE remember the parties at the Fountain of Youth Tennis Courts in 1995? 801-257-8711.

sounds like a terrorist attack me. :mad:

Well things are headed in that direction over here anyway, what wiht all the raids and dog based drug search's going on in Sydney over the last 8yrs or so and its gets pretty bad up here on the G.C as well.

I read that they also had the even inssured for $2,000000!!!!! for a $20,000 investment, thats a HELL of a lot of profit, how much would a policy like that cost for something so volitile?

I have seen a lot of what you speak of Torsten, I used to be involved with a lot of rave/party promotion and events. and also agree that the DnB/breakbeat sceen was/is very diferent to the rest and so is the hardcore/gabber sceen. also seem to be a difernt range of drugs used/abused by these crowds, a hell of a lot of meth in particular making for a much diferent vibe :D

quote:

Wtf are weapons doin' at raves ???? They don't belong there ..

I have been at a peaceful outdoor rave where someone pulled a 6-inch blade out

...to shave some hash off a block.

The same blade was used later in a less innocuous way - for cutting pills in half. :rolleyes:

Blades do have legitimate uses - I think the vast majority of "weapons" found at any rave would be entirely functional. Especially if they were searching vehicles to find them - yes they'd find knives, and forks, and spoons, tire-irons, crowbars, chisels...

People carry around all sorts of crap, especially in their cars. If they were taking possession of weapons as intent to do harm, then what does carrying around an assault rifle count for?

This whole thing is just sickening. I couldn't get the video to work, but I've seen it before - 120kg riot cops dragging 12-yr-old girls around by their hair at the anti-Iraq-war rallies, tearing off Muslim girls headscarfs & pepper-spraying the guys, breaking the wrists of highschool students half their size, for no reason.

And every year the gov't brings in extra "police powers" - more ways to make sure that cops are above the law. The laws brought in over the last few years, and the ones currently proposed, allow cops the right to do, what 5 years ago would've been called "illegal search, assault, and kidnapping". How many stabbings do you think the knife search laws prevented? You could probably count them on one hand - but they sure brought in a lot of petty possession charges.

This is a fucking disgrace - I'm so sick of the governments that give the cops these powers, the cops who misuse them, and the courts who let them get away with it.

quote:

and concerning the drugs, counterfit money, and guns found at the party that the media is so intent on focusing on, all told, everything confiscated fit into a brown paper lunch sack.

number of guns found among 1500 people: 2 handguns

the counterfeit money: one (1) 20 dollar bill

drugs: who wouldn't expect that at any large gathering. the amount seized was actually a surprisingly small amount for that size gathering with any sort of music involved.

DUI's: People were forced to leave the party or go to jail. Even under the influence of drugs or alcohol, they were told to "take their chances" or be thrown in jail. But even after being ordered to get in their cars and drive home, they were arrested for it.

If you ask me the reason this rave got busted up wasn't too many guns or weapons among the crowd, it was because they had to few.

But really the thing in the video that most surprised me was camo uniforms the police were wearing. I mean how were people supposed know they were even "police" when they look like some fucked up paramilitary organization. They don't even seem to have riot gear which is pretty bad since if shit really hit the fan it showed a willingness to fire into the crowd.