The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
faustus

nanotech animation

pretty cool animation on nanobots constructing a laptop. it's 80mb but def recommend it.

http://www.foresight.org/nanofactory.mov

http://crnano.typepad.com/crnblog/2005/07/a_new.html

Must-See Nanotech Movie

A new "must-see" short film has been produced using computer animation to assist in visualizing nanosystems and molecular manufacturing. Productive Nanosystems: from Molecules to Superproducts, is a collaborative effort of animator and engineer John Burch and pioneer nanotechnologist Dr. K. Eric Drexler, made possible through a challenge grant from Mark Sims and NanoRex.

The four-minute film depicts an animated view of a nanofactory and demonstrates key steps in a process that converts simple molecules into a billion-CPU laptop computer. The movie file is 60+ MB. It will take a while to download, but it’s definitely worth it.

UPDATE: Due to strong demand to see the film, the bandwidth on the first download site was exceeded. This site is another download option for the movie file (86.1 MB).

Well i havnt seen the movie, but im just starting a nanotech degree. One thing that most people think of when they hear nanotech is mini robots, but unfortunatly at the moment this is not the case. Nanotech is in its infancy. We were shown a computer animated clip in a lecture yesterday of a little robot thing flying around in the blood stream attacking bad cells etc. While this is a possibility down the track, its sadly not going on now(as far as i know, but hey, we dont have ufo's do we???)

Trip Dr

The movie is interesting in its dynamics I think - if this were real, man could create almost anything. It is almost describing an early model matter transformer - or 'Replicator' for the trekies. I wonder if it could create serial numbers on the boards and such...??

Different levels of nano machines seperating and combining molecules and then moving the pieces to further levels of combination. Interesting ideas though - :)

I read an interesting book about nano-tech recently, it is called PREY by Michael Crichton.

It is the same old computer gets too smart and attacks humans type scenario but what made the book was the nano-tech concepts....abstract/debateable yet written well enough to be plausible.

Any lab nerd like myself will probably enjoy it.