The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

Mini Ethnobotanica 2004

Hi,

as Carl is no longer organizing this event (and I have put my hand up).

Who would be interestd in comming along for a mini conference, market/ swapmeet & party?

Will be aiming for first or second weekend of March at Ruby's.

I will try and arrange for a few guest speakers and DJ's.

re: Ruby's http://www.melbournepubs.com/venues/1034/

(It's where Ronny (Forbidden Fruit) does a Wednesday night Shonky Film Society film & DJ's)

Torsten, would it be possible to use some notes, clips etc from EB03? esp in regards to Acacia phlebophylla.

[ 03. February 2004, 12:48: Message edited by: Adrian ]

Adrian, you will need to get in touch with the respective speakers about that.

Carl used to organise a fairly tight schedule for the day and then a social time in the evening. This however was often away from the venue and many missed out due to shyness, not being aware it was on, or getting lost along the way. There was VERY little that could be improved on for MEBV, except for this part.

Carl & co made it all look so easy and smooth.... you've got some big shoes to fill

Adrian,

I would have sent this to your private message

box but it is currently full!

Carl used to send an email around a month or so

before each event. The list of email addresses

would be a good resource to chase up.

On second thoughts, there might be privacy issues

about passing it on. Perhaps Carl could do a

post out officially passing on the organisation

role to yourself with directions for people to

join a list of your own.

This would have the positives of protecting

peoples privacy, having some sort of semi-offical

hand-over and also cleaning off the dead names

from Carls current list.

[ 15. February 2004, 00:47: Message edited by: somnif ]

good points somnif.

also, it used to be called MEBV (as in Victoria) rather than just MEB. This would also prevent the ever vigilant EB watchdog from getting himself confused again

[ 15. February 2004, 21:23: Message edited by: Torsten ]

Sorry Adrian I just found the link, and I said I would help you with this project.

I like MEBV sounds cool.

Can we try and come up with a soled date so I can get the venue ok.

I think this can be pulled off with the help of the Eb community.

Ronny :cool:

So?? Did this ever go ahead or die in the ass?

If the latter then I think adrian owes everyone an explanation. MEBV has been run extremely reliably and efficiently by Carl & Tim, and I don't think it is fair to drag the name down just because Carl is currently not doing it. I suggest that future attempts at organising MEBV should start by consulting Carl & Tim. Issues such as mailing list contacts, location, format etc could have been avoided this way.

Tim wasn't even aware that Adrian was organising an event!! The good news is that Tim is keen to put on another show, but as Carl will be overseas for a year he is looking for someone to share the load. Any of you melbourne folks dedicated enough to pull this off??

Id love to attend something like this...

I think Adrian had all the intentions of putting something on, and still does. However I am not shore if he was aware that he had the right to. I think he though someone else was also doing something so he kind of pulled of the throttle. If there is not something in the pipe works then I think Adrian would be capable, with a little help form the community.

I think we all wont another M(elbourne)ini EB.

Ever time i see Adrian he talks about it, but think he needs chat to Tim. They can work together, or at lest establishes which one of them is going to put in the time and effete to get this up and running.

[ 21. March 2004, 10:21: Message edited by: RonnySimulacrum ]

I think that it would be great to have a melbourne meet at least annually and if there is anything that i can do in the way of organisation or helping in any way so that it becomes a reality then just let me know!!!

It seems too me that there is still plenty of interest in a Melbourne Mini Eb, the more people that express interest the grater chance something good will come of this topic. So come on people let everyone know you really wont this to go ahead.

Methods of approach :D

1. Take over Ringwood library and stage a lock in until all the other plant heads turn up in solidarity, at which point you will have an M-EB conference

2. Abduct Carl and force him to organize the event, claming that his soul-searching trip to where ever is less important than the collective need amongst plant heads for an M-EB :cool:

3. Fly Tosten, Daniel, Revell and Darklight down to Melbourne and hold a M-EB in the botanical gardens where we all take off our close and smudge Daniels fabulous food all over ourselves and the plants in some satanic ritual. But this may make EB in December up at Byron very repetitious, but I do not mind getting naked twice :o

4. Force Tim and Adrian to eat Mc Donald’s at gun point until they come up with a workable scenario for M-EB that involves both of them working together to get this thing happening

5. Hold sole candle light vigils in your etheo-garden to honour the M-EB god, hoping he will appease us all and take us up to nirvana for a M-EB :)

Any other suggestions?

[ 21. March 2004, 13:43: Message edited by: RonnySimulacrum ]

likewise, i will endeavor to be there and will be happy to help out.. probly will have a few spare car seats if any of you PT-phobic are in the northern subs, i have no problem heading to the hills for this one

Do not blame me for the current would crisis and political upheaval,

I Voted M(elbourne)ini EB in the last election :confused:

Sorry, I should clarify a few points here.

I think it would be great if Adrian (co-)organised such an event. however, as he is building on other people's work I think the least he could do was to contact them first. As it turned out, Tim was interested in putting something on, but was totally unaware of Adrian's intentions. This got a hell of a lot of people confused - incl Tim and Adrian it seems.

It took one of the 'non-organising people' to point out to Adrian that Carl was maintaining a mailing list and that this should be made use of. It would seem logical to me that Adrian would contact Carl and Tim first to see which wheel doesn't need to be reinvented.

I informed Adrian of Tim's intentions and Carl's willingness to help (at least until he is off overseas). Since then no one has heard a peep out of Adrian (except some unrelated posts).

Melbourne is a pretty well organised group already and the last few weeks have detracted rather than added to this cohesion. Don't forget that much of the melbourne group does not frequent either SAB or EA forums!! Once you've had a couple of fuck ups people simply won't bother turning up anymore - especially if they have to travel to get there. With the long notice and reliability of previous events it wa spossible for people like Julian, Daniel and myself to make plans to travel down there, as well as spiraleyes from SA. You just don't get that when you erode that confidence.

Sorry if my comedy has misled anyone.

I very much agree that if this hole thing is not organized with tacked there will be problems with it future. I Have only been to Two Mini Eb and they where very intellectual, so we need to maintain that space, not have an event that detracts for already existing expectations. Also as T pointed out much of Melbourne Eb community dues not frequent theses parts and are a separate network. Of which Carl was/is a key player.

The best person for the job would be someone how has there foot in both doors so to speak, and tacks the hole thing very serious.

I am very willing to help who ever takes the lead in any way possible, to get this day up an running in a mature and learned fashion.

Sorry to sound harsh Adrian, but maybe it is time to pull your finger out or pass the buck. no disrespect, but you have not commented on this topic for 6 weeks :confused:

[ 21. March 2004, 23:58: Message edited by: RonnySimulacrum ]

Anyways.... whatever the hell is happening...I may be keen on coming along to a melbourne meet need plenty of notice though..

Well, finally there seems to be some movement in the Mini Eb camp

Tim Adrian and myself are having a meeting tonight to work on an up and coming Mini Eb conference.

Will post updates on the subject as we know more.

Torsten, maybe you can update the "Events" page and add things like these mini conferences to it?

(we do realise you are busy tho')

The event pages is actually only for SAB stuff. however, I have something else in mind of a similar nature.... soon