AN IMPORTANT REMINDER

Remember to be at the Ringwood Public Library on Saturday 19 July, at

12 noon sharp, for the start of 2003's first Mini Ethno Botanica

Victoria conference. (It goes until 7pm. After that, it's your own

party.)

Thanks very much,

Carl Turney

p.s. I have moved out of Melbourne, but you can still get me via

p.p.s. Have you told your trusted friends about this event yet?

p.p.p.s. Some of the rules are... No one under 18. Nothing currently

listed as illegal. $5 to help cover costs ($2 for

students/pensioners).

p.p.p.s. Special homage and thanks to Torsten and Daniel at

www.shaman-australis.com for creating the "real" (nation-wide,

international speakers, weekend-long) EthnoBotanica conferences. We

hope to provide you with info on their next one some time soon.

oh boy oh boy

just wanted to bring this up to the top, so you see it from the front page

looking forward to it

thanks carl

oh. My. God. Incredible timing, I'm in Melbourne that weekend! so what's happening- and what's this about a party?

no way..!

yeah, what's happening? any agenda?

Does this mean I get to meet you coin,and maybe Ed and Von and tst after all these years?

Goddamn, I'm so excited I make Big Kev look positively stoic :) And what's the format of these things, how do they work? Is there a speaker's/ topics list or do I just get to be randomly happy about everyone just talking off the top of their 'eads?

So, tell me, um, how cold is it down there?

[ 14. July 2003, 08:59: Message edited by: Darklight ]

It would be interesting to see what the bizzare characters who subside on this forum look and behave like in real life, is the maddog welcome.

I believe all open minded people are welcome.

sure darklight..should i look for the lab coat? :)

don't suppose you're going torsten?

[ 17. July 2003, 17:33: Message edited by: coin ]

sorry, no, I can't make it this time. The on-again-off-again rain here means we are months behind our schedule and have to make use of the drier wintertime. Also, my office looks like a bomb hit it and tax time is approaching too. I am not going anywhere until I've caught up with the mundane things in life...

Although pity I won't get to meet you.... after missing out last time. I am sure it won't be long before we head down that way again though.

coin:

sure darklight..should i look for the lab coat?

The rubber gloves, the scalpel and the suspicious grin are a dead giveaway :)

ahh, thought so darklight :)

Saturday 13C Scattered clouds, possibility of rain, overnight low 3C .. similar day on Sunday

torsten, yep..look forward to it

it should be a very fun day.

hope to chat with you all about lots of fun things.

See you all there

Ah, it *was* a good day!

It was good to see you all there.

I arrived late as usual missing a good chunk of

the day.

Tom's talk on saliva research was especially good.

Wira's reading from his book makes me wish him

a speedy publishing so I can soon read the rest

of it!

etc.

...and CS even turned up along with his other

special kohorts: in that respect it was like

chill space here a couple of years ago I took

me a few moments to recognise CS as he was lacking

the self titled top and leather that he had worn

in the past.

I hope Creach found a way home as I lost him

somewhere along the path.

I hope Darklight did ask Bockie about his

Fuktwerk (sp?) - clue: it is attached to the

side of his house.

Thanks for putting in the time to organise it,

Carl (and others).

somnif:

Ah, it *was* a good day!.

Ken Oath it was. What a lovely group of ppl, and excellent presentations, not nearly enough time to catch up with ppl. Next time I am there I will bother youse all for much longer :)

Thanks again to Carl an' crew for setting it up :D

I hope Darklight did ask Bockie about his Fuktwerk (sp?) - clue: it is attached to the

side of his house.

Do you know I bloody forgot? Typical.

It's called Fachwerk (won't bother trying to explain the pronunciation, but it doesn't sound anything like fuck) and you can't miss it....

somnif:

I hope Creach found a way home as I lost him

somewhere along the path.

Yes somnif, I ended up journeying to Fitzroy to meet some friends, but thanks for the offer of a lift anyway.

Damn, missed it. :(

I was up in Noosa for a conference

When is the next one!!!!! :D

Absolutely fantastic day out, as we have come to expect from MEB.

Very good group of people in Melbourne all with different vectors of knowledge to contribute to the scene. Very lovely vibe in the room through out the whole day. There was about 40 enlightened entities popping in and out constantly through out the day (think it must have been the Kryptonite in the air vents). Special thanks from all off us to Carl for giving us all the chance to meet and learn. Forgive me if I get some of the details wrong.

First up it was Michel Bock with a speech about alcoholic beverages made from plants in New Zealand, which I only unfortunately caught the end of, sounded interesting though. Then he had to head off early with out even getting a chance to see anyone else. This was Unfortunate for all.

Second up if my memory serves me well was the infamous ‘DarkLight’ with her speech about ‘Ethno-botany Bio Terrorism in the postmodern age’, Just kidding , she was speaking about Bio Tec and its ethno-botanical sustainability and feasibility - I think, but I am not a scientist, I think I got most of it though. She also brought the very good news that there should be another ‘National Ethno-botany Conference’ in the next six months or so.

Next up was Carl’s friend and boss, who’s name I have unfortunately forgotten at this moment, sorry. Anyway he gave a speech about psychology and how in recent times we are using drugs that are SSRI and how he is interested in study their effects on ‘modern’ consciousness. Where in old world culture he explained the sacraments utilized were not mainly SSRI, interesting concept, god only knows what he will turn up with next time around.

Then David C gave his long awaited trouble-free talk about the location of ethnogenic plants throughout Vic. Utilizing a CD ROM he talked us through indangered plants, locations of varies plants in the sate, ‘plant ethics’ and collection of samples. This was a very interesting and data crunching exercise in modern computer plant statistics, amazing.

Then it was little old me presenting a sample of some off the footage we have collected for “Forbidden Fruit – a Documentary”. Very unfortunately I had some sound problems which I have spent the subsequent days trying to render. Would love some feed back on what you saw, good or bad. It is all helpful to the project. The highlight of the showing was at the end when we panned out of the stems of two very lovely moist Subs and everyone let out a awed cheer, like a baby to candy, that was funny, think it made everyone a bit hungry. We also put up the address to lunch our web page; http://www.wandjina.net.au/~forbidden_frui..._doco/index.htm

Next up was Snu reading from his up and coming book, he read a chapter on set and setting that was lovely, informative and poetic. Good work, look forward to reading the book in the flesh when it is printed. Can only imagine how good and important this book is going to be.

Next up was the highlight of the day, which was Gonzo speaking about his very life changing and very emotional travels to ‘Mind State IIII’ in Berkley, California. He informed us of all the individual specific topics and how the whole travelling and context of his life underwent a fundamental shift involving knowledge and unfortunately tragedy. He received the equivalent of a standing ovation from the crowd, duly deserved.

Last up was Tomas, with his continuing research with Diviner’s Sage and his ongoing struggle with the powers that be in relation to the banning of substances in Australia, reverting and unfortunately points out our current political powerlessness in the situation of scheduling. But all is not lost, we are just utilizing this kind of information to forge the written assault, to keep out plants and herbs keep safe for the future generations.

The conference was a raging success and I look forward to the next one eagerly, urging you all to join us.

Special thanks to Carl, the divine host, keep up the good work. And thanks To Torsten for conceiving of the National EB conferences.

Kind regards

Jonathan

[ 25. July 2003, 15:25: Message edited by: RonnySimulacrum ]