The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
coin

Naqoyqatsi

The 'qatsi' music/film trilogy - director Godfrey Reggio, and score by Philip Glass, featuring Yo Yo Ma, the finale Naqoyqatsi (Life as War) has been released in Melbourne, showing until June 28, I think.. at the Astor Theatre & soon at Cinema Nova

anyone seen it yet?

"The third in the trilogy. In this cinematic concert, mesmerising images are plucked from everyday reality, then visually altered with state-of-the-art digital techniques. The result is a chronicle of the shift from a world organised by the principles of nature to one dominated by technology, the synthetic and the virtual. Extremes of intimacy and spectacle, tragedy and hope fuse in a tidal wave of visuals and music, giving rise to a unique, artistic experience that reflects the vision of a brave new globalised world. Haunting visions of peacemakers and peacebreakers - Clinton, Hitler, Princess of Wales, Bin Laden, Einstein, The Beatles, Kissinger, Elaine. Music by Phillip Glass. (AJP)"

Hi coin

We haven't seen it yet but that is sure to change. :)

Koyaanisqatsi and Powaqqatsi brings back memories. I'm certain that it will be well worth seeing- especially with new cinematic technology. :)

Take care

hehehe... Philip Glass... better pre-dose with acid if you want to "fully understand" his music..,hehehe

yeah, i'm looking forward to it also

hehe

I've been a 'Phil' fan for years..never needed enhancements I really don't know how well your suggestion would come to pass! nightmarish perhaps?

This score for Naqoyqatsi, well the usual 'themes' are there, but it actually seems very dynamic for a Glass work..a lot of stepping movement

don't think so nabraxas

well i saw Naqoyqatsi on wednesday night, and it wasn't too bad, but i would've preferred a Glass concert even though there'd be 'less' going on

personally i didn't find the imagery very thought-provoking and the effects were only mildly interesting, though well executed

of all the ideas presented, i found the most prominent was examination of the human form, and the way humans form..some interesting footage of group activities - sports/exercise, recreation, war

the extreme slow motion sequences using new technology to interpolate frames did spark some unusual dreams though :)

anyway, others may enjoy it more..i'm not into films at all

I went and saw Einstien On The Beach by Philip

Glass when it was on here in Melbourne during

1993 or there abouts. It was a amazing. The

production seemed to be driven towards distorting

your sense of time. Being err, slightly altered,

enhanced the whole experience. It was a *long*

production, over five hours long if I remember

correctly.

I really enjoy Glass's music but I have found

that his newer stuff fails to surprise me.

Having just downloaded the Naqoyqatsi soundtrack

I am again not surprised but impressed. It sounds

wonderful. Better than Kundun (spelling?) which

was the most recent CD of his I have purchased.

quote:

was it glass that did the score for a Z & 2 noughts?

Michael Nyman did that soundtrack (as well as many

others). I recommend the Gatacia soundtrack which

has a slow brooding sort of feel about it (a couple

of years since I have listened to it though)

hey somnif

i never knew einstein was done here..lucky you

that was the first i heard of glass [on cd] & i instantly loved hearing it in its entirety (only a few hours)..

it's tough to try explaining it to someone

interesting that he's using didj more & more now