The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Darklight

Research Grants- closes soon!

Some nice person sent this to me...it closes REAL soon. Dammit I can't find a web page ANYWHERE so you'll have to put up with the OCR from the fax

AUSTRALIAN FLORA FOUNDATION

RESEARCH GRANTS - for funding in 2003

The Australian Flora Foundabon was established in 1981 with the aim of fostering scienbfic research on the biology and cultivation of Australian plants. It was thought that by encouraging research, a greater awareness of the value of the Australian flora would be developed resulting in explicit measures for their conservation and utilizabon. Funds for research are raised through the membership of the Foundation, donations from various sources and the interest from bequests. Grants are available for projects, which commence from December 2002. The Foundabon expects to support between two and four projects at $5000-$12,000 each in 2002 with possible extension into 2003.

CALL FOR APPLICATIONS: Applicabons for grants to support onginal scientific projects on the biology and culbvabon of Australian plants are invited from research workers in Australia. The Australian Flora Foundation will consider all relevant applications, with special interest in the following categories:

General: 1) conservation of Australian plant diversity 2) plant species with potential for cultivation 3) Cultivation of Australian plants 4) rare and endangered plants.

Research in Victoria: Research conducted in Victona mav be eligible for the special funds (up to $5000) provided by the APS Maroondah Group, "for research in Victoria for the in situ, noncommercial Conservation of Australian plants".

Grevillea: A special grant is also available to encourage 'research into some aspect of the cultivation and biology cultivation of Grevalea', supported by the Grevillea Study Group. Of particular interest is the grafting of Grevilleas onto rootstocks other than G.robusta.

Boronia: Research on Boronia may be funded up to an additional $5,000 from the Joyce Ward bequest.

All applications on rare and endangered plants should indicate how the research relates to the management plan for the species. The Foundation does not fund projects that are predominantly for equipment or travel (other than for essential fieldwork), publications, research on orchids, or taxonomy.

Projects must be scientifically sound. Applicants must be suitably qualified or identify a qualified project supervisor.

There is no application form. Applications are in two stages. Preliminary applications of two A4 pages should indicate the purpose of the project, the likely costs and the research protocol. The institution or company to which the applicant is attached, a contact phone number and postal address must be included. An email address would be appreciated. Preliminary application will be accepted until 12'h March 2002.

Each application will be evaluated on closeness to the objectbves of the Australian Flora Foundation, the scientific merit of the project, the likely success within the stipulated timeframe, and the availability of funds. Full applications will be invited from those which best fit the criteria. Full applications will be assessed by the Scienbtic Research Committee and successful applicants notified in September 2002. Funds will become available to commence research from December 2002.

Applications should preferably be submitted electronically as an MS Word file attached to an email to: [email protected]

Alternatively, a 3.5cm disc or hard copy may be mailed to:

Grants Committee

Australian Flora Foundabon

PO Box 1566

University of Queensland,

Gatton, Qld. 4343

Enquiries: to the above addresses.

Important dates:

Preliminary applications due by 12th March.2002

Short-listed applicants advised late Apri

Full applications due by mid June

Board meets August

Successful applicant advised September

Funds available from December2002

The AustrrJlian Floral FvuruGation gratefully acknowledges

all those individuals and organisations who Make these grants possible

by contributing to the AFF Research Trust Fund

Thought the Victorian thing might be relevant to anyone considering studying the dieback/ reproducing rate problem, but there's something in here for anyone...

$12K isn't a lot of money by research standards, but it might just get you through, or complement an existing facility or funding source.

Pity we've done the A. phlebophylla already wink.gif

Pity we've done the A. phlebophylla already wink.gif

this was the plant i was going to mention would be good/great/excellent etc etc.

can you tell me/us more about this please?

Originally posted by spiraleyes:

how do pronounce this name,by the way?

Oh dear, you're asking moi? With my terrible Latin pronunciation ( and inability to order bruschetta at restaurants wink.gif)

I think its fleb-o-fila...

I wasn't going to say anything about this til I'd spoken to Torsten ( he paid for the research til I took it over last year )and the results were consistent and stable, but it looks like I have four individual plants in culture, enough to keep the gene pool stable til something else comes up. It's still a tad early but I'm excited...

All future clones will be derived from one of those four individuals, and will be labelled as such to assist with breeding and cross pollination. Their names are Annie, Shaman, Cerberus and Muse, so when you get a plant from any stock here ( if it keeps working out ) you'll know which parent plant your new aquisition is derived from

No plantlets have been deflasked yet, they haven't even been in replication media long enough to produce reliable replication figures to allow for a release date to be set. So none of my babies are in the ground...yet. But this is the best result I've had with them yet- and they're strong. This doesn't indicate success, but it increases the chances of a good outcome.

Rooting protocols still need to be established. They need to stay genetically stable in culture and not degenerate to a bunch of blobby callus after six subcultures And then we may still find that planting out is fraught with the same survival problems as ppl are having with the seedlings and younger trees.

Still it means that if they are stable in culture then they are safe til the problem with juvenile trees is beter understood.

The multiplication formula was an interesting one to work out ( no I'm not telling ) it was very much a matter of luck, risk and excellent professional contacts offering the right avice at the right time. A week later and I'd have missed it. Which goes to show you don't need to be a big company to get it right ( luck helps... )

As usual, you won't hear it from Torsten, but SAB generously ( ie we tried LOTS of stuff and he paid for it ) sponsored A. phlebophylla research for three years with no results to speak of. Even the Victorian govt wouldn't fund programs to conserve phlebophylla: from memory they regarded it as a lost cause....

Despite that fact Torsten kept funding media and explant trials in the hope the species would have a chance. This is a classic example of what can be done if you really want it done. A. phlebo is the third endangered species SAB has sponsored the successful preservation research for.

Australia doesn't have much of a record for research funding, philanthropy or general long term planning that might just extend beyond one's self interest. Hopefully this will change as projects such as phlebophylla preservation inspire other people to chase a dream and catch it, rather than just hoping someone else will take care of it.

Geez now I've said all this, I'll feel real silly if this project doesn't work out... fingers crossed. I just get a bit buzzed from time to time, can you imagine what it feels like to help save a species?

[This message has been edited by Darklight (edited 07 February 2002).]

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifwink.gif

nice one guys!

that talk is all a bit beyond me at the present.

but it sounds excellent!

i guess ill know more in the nearing future ey wink.gif

whenever the moment comes when plantlets are released please put me down for 1 or 2 guaranteeeeeeed.

sending them love and looking forward to the moment. smile.gif

Don't cheer just yet..it's only good news. Wonderful news is when it has roots on it and successfully deflasks, but I'll keep you posted ( or you'll hear me shout EUREKA! )