Sign in to follow this  
coin

Monkey Cocaine Study Links Status, Addiction

MONKEY COCAINE STUDY LINKS STATUS, ADDICTION

Social Standing Is Key In Determining Who's Susceptible To Drug Use,

Study Concludes.

WASHINGTON -- Social standing - being dominant or subordinate - plays a

vital role in susceptibility to drug use, scientists said Tuesday in a

study of monkeys that may shed light on human addiction.

Researchers at Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, N.C., found that

macaque monkeys deemed to be subordinate in small groups were much more

likely to give themselves doses of cocaine in a laboratory setting than

dominant monkeys.

Brain chemistry linked to social rank explains the phenomenon, the

scientists said in a study published in the journal Nature Neuroscience.

Where an individual monkey stands on the simian totem pole is reflected in

the brain chemical dopamine, which is closely linked with cocaine and other

types of substance abuse, they found.

URL: http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v02.n111.a02.html

Pubdate: Wed, 23 Jan 2002

Source: Orange County Register (CA)

Copyright: 2002 The Orange County Register

Details: http://www.mapinc.org/media/321

Author: Will Dunham, Reuters

-------

also, see Social Rank Theory

How the hell do these researchers take themselves seriously? How can you draw any parallels between the behaviour of humans and the behaviour of monkeys locked in in cages?? Maybe these results would apply to human prisoners locked in tiny bloody cages their whole life, but precious little else. Who gives these people grant dollars?? Fucking stupid!

oops, wait - there's more..let me put up the whole article...

---

Monkey cocaine study links status, addiction

Social standing is key in determining who's susceptible to drug use, study concludes.

January 23, 2002

By WILL DUNHAM

Reuters

WASHINGTON -- Social standing - being dominant or subordinate - plays a vital role in susceptibility to drug use, scientists said Tuesday in a study of monkeys that may shed light on human addiction.

Researchers at Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, N.C., found that macaque monkeys deemed to be subordinate in small groups were much more likely to give themselves doses of cocaine in a laboratory setting than dominant monkeys.

Brain chemistry linked to social rank explains the phenomenon, the scientists said in a study published in the journal Nature Neuroscience.

Where an individual monkey stands on the simian totem pole is reflected in the brain chemical dopamine, which is closely linked with cocaine and other types of substance abuse, they found.

The dominant monkeys experienced an increase in a type of dopamine receptor known to be involved in brain pathways for reward processing, and were less vulnerable to cocaine abuse than their wallflower laboratory companions. Michael Nader, who led the study, said the research showed that environmental changes can have a profound impact on brain chemistry relating to sensitivity to a given addictive drug - a finding that could have parallels in people.

Cocaine acts on the brain by raising levels of dopamine in synapses - gaps between nerve cells - with elevated dopamine levels corresponding to the "high" experienced by the user. Dopamine, categorized as a neurotransmitter, is released in normal nerve-impulse transmissions in the brain.

Nader and his colleagues studied 20 male monkeys. The researchers looked at their hormonal activity and behavior, then used a sophisticated imaging technique to measure activity in the brain.

A change in living arrangements was then imposed. The monkeys were moved into groups of four. In the ensuing social interaction over three months, dominant monkeys emerged in the five groups, and a hierarchy was established.

The researchers then introduced cocaine to the monkeys, allowing them to self-administer doses. The top monkeys were far less likely to do so than the others.

Brain scans revealed that the dominant monkeys - those that were the most aggressive and least submissive toward others - experienced major changes relating to dop amine starting after the group-housing arrangement was imposed.

Because the changes were not seen when the monkeys lived by themselves, the scientists said the changes in brain chemistry resulted from the process of becoming dominant.

"The environmental consequences of those social hierarchies resulted in these changes," Nader said in an interview. "And the changes were in the dominant animals and not in the subordinate animals. So the positive spin on that is that environmental enrichment can produce rapid changes in the brain that, in this particular case, protected the individual from drug abuse. And that is the applicability (to people)."

Nader said the findings involving these monkeys should not be interpreted to mean that, in people, those at the top of the social ladder are the least susceptible to substance abuse.

"I don't think it's the social subordination vs. the CEO that's the main point. It's that environmental enrichment ... can produce rapid and robust changes in the brain."

-----

what's your take on the social rank theory (for depression)?

[This message has been edited by coin (edited 24 January 2002).]

Depression's a self-feeding loop unless corrected, and social status is more complex in humans than other captive primates IMO.

How well you think you are doing can be related to more factors than social dominance in only one sphere... you might be doing really well at work, for example, but if your relationship is just as important to you and that's not going well, and you're not actually happy in the field of employment you're in then self perception of success would be a completely different kettle of fish.

Anyone long term deficient in seratonin or dopamine is prime for an OCD or other addiction IMO, once the reward pathways learn that a specific behaviour temporarily corrects the problem. Wouldn't matter if the reward was via gambling, religion, drugs or other social phenomenon.

What fascinates me is why nobody bothers looking into 'positive' reinforcing behaviour, as in the formation of good habits in quite the same way as they do 'bad' habits. It's all about reward pathways, and learning patterns, and the uneccessary dichotomy between 'good' and 'bad' just seems to obfuscate the issue.

thanks darklight.

(working late?)

If I'm ever going to make it to dominant male, I guess I'll have to lay off the crack.

That's Alpha Bitch to youse, love wink.gif

coin, where *have* you been, I miss you! I wish I had the insight into neuro stuff you've gained over the last ( year? ). I'm going to send you my brain for cloning, its the furry gibberring object currently hiding under your couch. Started any TC work?