The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
gusto

'black' spined bridgesii

Anyone growing bridgesii clones that tend towards dark colored new spines? I believe it was one of Trout's ER articles that mentioned a native perception of 'black' spined bridgesii being of superior potency.

The couple of clones that I've seen exhibit this trait seem to be fairly slow growing types. Maybe there's a correlation between growth rate and potency in general, as as been posited before. The ones I've observed do indeed tend to produce their darkest colored new spines during periods of slower growth.

1 bridgesii seedling I have less than 15cm tall and about 18 months old has black spines.

[ 26. July 2005, 20:38: Message edited by: Archaea ]

my t. bridgesii f. monstrose has a pup with about 20 spines, all have black tips and about 4 or 5 are totally black, or maybe really really dark purple, hadnt even noticed till i read this thread

its rather large, having approx 26 bracnches. but is a fairly new addition to my collection so i havnt seen it pup before and dont know if this is always the case, but alot of the other spines do tend to get a fair bit darker towards the tips, not black like the younguns tho