The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mr toodly

Please advise.

This appears to be Trichocereus pachanoi. Are we in agreement?

top.jpg

side.jpg

bottom.jpg

And what is this?

ANDWHATISTHIS.JPG

Looks like some sort of cereus species. It's a little hard to say for sure without a closeup but the skinny ribs and wide valleys look a a cereus.

Stoney

An awesome shaman's garden I'd say

Are there 2 types in there?

Two or three in the r/h bucket look like pachanois yet some of the cross sections look very cereus like??

These cuttings were harvested from two thirty year old plants that have been subject to serious neglect. Some spikes were falling over from lack of water. It's all the same plant--but some spikes are more dessicated than others.

Here are some high resolution images that I hope satisfy your questions.

http://virgula.port5.com/trich/

Note: You definitely do not want to open these in your web browser. Save to disk.

I was initially perturbed by the great rib variations, but I think the sunken valleys are due to neglect. Some cuttings aren't firm to the touch. I found that the most recent growth resembled T. pachanoi, while the older portions of the plant were marked by deeper valleys and thinner ribs. Peculiar.

[ 25. July 2004, 08:44: Message edited by: r. Jackson ]

r.J., these are all no doubt T. pachanoi in my opinion. The sunken in ribs are common with under watered plants. No Cereus there.

~Michael~

Guest electro

are they not t.scop ? (short spined pach ...)

i always thought t.pach had bigger spines ...

*whrug* could be very wrong tho ..

There seems to be a bit of variation in spine length. The old standard in cultivation, the Backeberg clone, stills dominates (at least here in the US), but with ethnobotanical interests rising over the last couple decades (particularly the 90s), there have been a few other clones around. I see two rather distinct clones, the one in these photos is not, in my estimation, the Backeberg clone, but rather a clone that often will put out a longer central spine on old growth, has less raised tubercles, and bears somewhat regular, but very faint, V-notches over the areoles. This clone has a much "smoother" appearence than the Backeberg clone.

Right off the bat T. pachanoi origins are believed to have been in southern Ecuador / Northern Peru, while T. scopulicola comes southern Bolivia. There are a couple forms of T. scopulicola, the standard one which has extremely minute and fine spines, and then the T. scopulicola known as "Lance" by Shaman Australis which has spines generally longer than most T. pachanoi. T. scopulicola according to Ritter is related to T. bridgesii, another Bolivian species, and this is quite obvious to me when I observe the plants myself.

~Michael~

Thank you all for your time.