The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Ishmael Fleishman

Ceremonial Cacao Vs Cacao Nibs Vs Raw Cacao powder

I have been enjoying raw cacao and I have become interested in Cacao.

Cacao is one of the mostly widely used psychoactive plants in the world. However like tobacco it has been appropriated and debased.

I have given up coffee it caused to much anxiety and sleep issue and their was a definite addictive craving for coffee.  The first two weeks after coffee was a sleepy daze.

Raw cacao in massive 50g dosage can be stimulating however it is a far more pleasant not as jittery. My experimentation has made me interested in the nuances. 

Specifically I am interest in the difference between Ceremonial Cacao Vs Cacao Nibs Vs Raw Cacao powder.

Their is allot of marketing in this space. So I am not sure what is actual.

But as far I understand you have the cacao bean, you break it up you should have nibs.

Cacao powder is made by pulverizing the cacao nibs to powder.

If you keep grinding the nibs into turns into Cacao Paste or Ceremonial Cacao Paste.

Is it that simple?

Just like peanuts turn into peanut powder and then emulsifies into peanut butter.

I see mention of "Ceremonial Cacao has not been defatted and is minimally processed under low temperatures to maximize its health benefits".

I know that any mechanical grinding cooks anything through simple friction. I know that the claim of raw is questionable.

However is their any real difference beyond the level of processing and marketing?

I know that Dutch process cocoa is defatted and treated with alkaline chemicals. Changing the alkaloids and bitterness in the process. Changes in this process account for difference between Hershey chocolate and say Cadbury. Hershey has a very unique taste profile.

Edited by Ishmael Fleishman

There's probably a lot of hype around ceremonial cacao, to justify the added value. According to one purveyor: 

There are two major common types of cacao beans–Criollo and Forastero. Forastero beans are more common for their sweetness and resilience to destruction in industrial farming. Therefore, those beans are more commonly used in today’s cacao products.

On the other hand, ceremonial cacao powder is made using only Criollo beans, which are milder and have a higher concentration of restorative properties.

Many advertise a "100% pure" ceremonial product -- although it's reported by scientists that cadmium contamination is an issue, depending on which region the beans were grown in. 

Yes heavy metal contamination is a big problem with cacao and chocolate - especially with the stuff from Peru and Ghana because of the soil.

Oddly enough it is NEVER mentioned in the hype.

However I think its a plant problem just like Rice has very high levels of chromium, cadmium, arsenic, and lead. 

Thanks for the info on Criollo and Forastero types I will have a look at finding a Criollo source for my cacao.