The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Ishmael Fleishman

Trichocereus Pachanoi Seedling Over Winter

Last Winter I planted Trichocereus Pachanoi seeds.

After a year of slow growth most are 3 cm long.

Over the last year they have grown indoors using takeaway tek then re-potted into a large terracotta pot and has been living outside.

I live in Victoria and it does get to 0ºc a few times over winter and it can sit at 6ºc to 12ºc for long periods.

Now with winter coming around - I am wondering if I should move them indoors? I have a sunny bedroom and am thinking of taking the Trichocereus Pachanoi inside.

Secondly should I mist or water these seedlings and how often over winter? Or should I just let them dry out.

I think the idea of putting them inside beside a window is that condensation from the glass will provide humidity during the night. Whether they need it during dormancy, I'm not sure. I don't water any of my cactus plants over winter. 

Maybe try putting them in a big plastic tub and put it somewhere sheltered out of too much cold or full sun.  Let the pots dry up. The seedlings will go months without water in winter.

• Like 1

Personally, I like to keep mine outside during the winter and if we get a hard freeze cover them with a blanket until the sun comes up.  To me the benefit is they go into full dormancy and don't etoliate, as they might if kept too warm inside.

That said, if you plant enough seeds, you could simply let nature take its course - and will be left with the most cold hearty seedlings surviving...