The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
kadakuda

Wanted: Kava plants

Looking for kava plants for many years.   always end up getting P. auritum as misidentified.  Looking for true kava plants.  Buy or trade, international shipping.

I only check in here once or twice a month, so please be patient if i dont reply to PM right away :)

Thanks!

Me too, as the one I was promised by another forum member (their part of an exchange) failed to materialise. 

I'd like to get one too. Herbalistics has some in stock, but they are quite expensive.

they are very difficult to grow, they need to "see the sea" and frost free tropical climat...

We have a location set aside for them, very suitable and tropical.  but we are international.  Still looking if anyone has any.  if other nurseries see this, feel free to message me or email.  can pay for phyto certs etc no problem.

Hey Kada, 

Just did a bit of a hunt around online re kava in Aus.. I didn’t realise we had made the sale legal within Australia now.  Very cool.  

While searching for plants though I came across an article discussing making the commercial quality plants a pacific only item, as in no exports of commercial quality plants to Australia as the fear was the valuable market might be diminished by Australian growers.  I came across this group: https://m.facebook.com/groups/902202100270368/ which might be a good place to ask for plants.. it’s apparently a pretty decent community.  I don’t have fb so I can’t really vouch for it or anything but might be worth a shot.

If importing internationally isn’t an issue as you say I would be trying to get some sweet varieties from the pacific!

Looking at all this kava stuff has got me hungry for a numb tongue :) 

All the best for your search! 

• Like 1

Very cool, thank you Kindness, appreciate your search!  That may explain why it has been so hard to find properly identified and honest kava plants over the past couple decades :(  The search continues!

i might add what little i know....

the kava plant we grew in oz, was a black awa from hawai, said to be the strongest kava strain arround.

there are many posts about this plant and who got it legaly nthrue customs, here at sab.

the person who introduced the black awa, is easy to find with a internet search, he is doing brugmansias now somewhere around cairns.

try brugmansia australia.

hey, kadakuda i struggle to germinate betel nut seeds, i think i need to scarifie them.

can you help, with insights?

sorry for the side track

On 12/05/2023 at 11:15 AM, withdrawl clinic said:

i might add what little i know....

the kava plant we grew in oz, was a black awa from hawai, said to be the strongest kava strain arround.

there are many posts about this plant and who got it legaly nthrue customs, here at sab.

the person who introduced the black awa, is easy to find with a internet search, he is doing brugmansias now somewhere around cairns.

try brugmansia australia.

hey, kadakuda i struggle to germinate betel nut seeds, i think i need to scarifie them.

can you help, with insights?

sorry for the side track

The strength of kava comes with the age of the plant. Generally, 3-5 years in the absolute minimum age before you'd even think of harvesting roots. 6-7 years is fantastic but not many commercial growers can afford to wait that long. Also, there are so many chemotypes, some are more "heady" and some are more "heavy" in the mix of kavalactones. 

Generally speaking, Hawaiian "awa" or kava is considered to be weaker than most Vanuatu and Fijian varieties, but again, age of the roots is the biggest factor in potency.

Just a bump in case.  still in search :)