The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Fanta

Growing in a fabric ''grow bag'' instead of pots.

Would i run into any trouble using a grow bag ? Can they fall over easier or blow over in the wind? I have a feeling they wouldn't be suitable for mature , tall cactus but maby only smaller ones.

The grow bag size i was looking at was approx 70 liters, if that helps.

5 minutes ago, Fanta said:

Can they fall over easier or blow over in the wind?

they can, but the cactus would need to be pretty big, say 2.5m+ in a 70L grow bag to fall over

if you're talking about the woven bags the only thing I can think of is that they're heavy and if you use large stones (as drainage in the bottom for example) and move the bag around alot it can tear the bag eventually, so you might be better off using expanded clay which is lighter too

43 minutes ago, saguaro said:

they can, but the cactus would need to be pretty big, say 2.5m+ in a 70L grow bag to fall over

if you're talking about the woven bags the only thing I can think of is that they're heavy and if you use large stones (as drainage in the bottom for example) and move the bag around alot it can tear the bag eventually, so you might be better off using expanded clay which is lighter too

Ahhhh k. Yeah i was thinking of growing them as tall as i could. 

Yes, correct, the thick woven ones. 

Might have to put them in the ground then. Hopefully they like red dirt :blink:

Periodic rotation of the pots is a good idea for container-grown cactus, and that's where the fabric is liable to fail, i.e. movement of the container. 

Expanded clay would hardly provide enough ballast for a 2.5m+ cactus. Cactus are a lot heavier than e.g. cannabis plants. 

A plastic pot doesn't weigh much on its own, but is much stronger to hold soil, stones, bricks, what have you, for ballast. 

Cactus love being in-ground. As long as the red soil isn't clay, they should thrive. All but the largest containers will restrict growth, to some extent.

1 hour ago, fyzygy said:

Periodic rotation of the pots is a good idea for container-grown cactus, and that's where the fabric is liable to fail, i.e. movement of the container. 

Expanded clay would hardly provide enough ballast for a 2.5m+ cactus. Cactus are a lot heavier than e.g. cannabis plants. 

A plastic pot doesn't weigh much on its own, but is much stronger to hold soil, stones, bricks, what have you, for ballast. 

Cactus love being in-ground. As long as the red soil isn't clay, they should thrive. All but the largest containers will restrict growth, to some extent.

Yeah fair call then. I think it's clay free. Hopefully there's none deeper down. 

Thanks for the info!