The Corroboree
kindness

Looking for Phleb seed

Hi all,

just wondering if anyone out there has some home grown Phleb seed they are willing to share with me.  I have a a few things here I could trade or if $ are preferred could also do that.

Hopefully some of peoples trees out there are producing seed now and I can join in and do my part to assist with the preservation of this special plant.

cheers

Tried eBay? There are currently two different batches of seed still available there, through a reputable seller. 

• Like 1

Yeah I saw that, thanks :).  

Was hoping someone here had a few seeds.  PD gifted me some back in the day but the ones I started died off and I lost the rest.  If all else fails I guess I’ll spend the $40 for 20 seeds but hoped to find cheaper or swap here first.

Edited by kindness

Just in case you end up biting the ebay bullet:

20 seeds / $30 from cactilicious.com.au
Pretty sure they used to post on here as spooge.

Cheers.  Yeah no mention of hybridisation on the cactilicious site either… I had kind of assumed the eBay post was the same person but perhaps not.

8 minutes ago, kindness said:

no mention of hybridisation on the cactilicious site either

The price on one batch was reduced because of that possibility, I'm pretty sure. But you could ask seller. 

I've sown some of the subsequent batch, but haven't seen true phyllodes as yet. 

Yeah cool.  I’ll give it another few days and see if anyone can help.  Not in any rush.  Gotta get hold of some rhizobium.. was looking around for it online but I think I’ll just dig up some mearnsii roots and make some brew with that.

14 hours ago, kindness said:

Yeah cool.  I’ll give it another few days and see if anyone can help.  Not in any rush.  Gotta get hold of some rhizobium.. was looking around for it online but I think I’ll just dig up some mearnsii roots and make some brew with that.

Can you use any rhizobium from an acacia?

15 minutes ago, jahliveforever said:

Good question. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC92591/

There are lots of studies like these on legumes and acacias around the world, and their corresponding symbionts.

I had a potted acacia seedling that developed root nodules, without the addition of rhizobium. I was watering it with rinse water from my lentil sprouts. But the rhizobium were probably more likely to have been present in whatever I'd used as a potting mix?

6 hours ago, jahliveforever said:

I’m not sure.  My guess would be different acacias have relationships with specific bacteria but I’m also thinking that any is better than none?  I would love to buy some meant for natives but I can’t find any.. 

I was reading how lentils spread from Turkey to SE Asia, and along the way the rhizobium (but not the lentil) evolved into a distinct spp. But it seems it's more a community of microbes, with considerable overlap between geographical regions and/or Acacia spp. (see Australian acacias research article I linked to above). So I'm of the opinion that any nitrogen-fixing rhizobium would be as good as any other. Though I wonder whether things like alkaloid profile, as well as growth rates, could be influenced by bacteria in the soil. 

Edited by fyzygy

Thanks for the info :) I’ve got a bunch of acuminatas and obtusi’s here that I’ve potted on a bunch of times.. they’re sitting at around 2/3yrs old.  None have the nodules on their roots.. I’m keen to see if giving them some makes a difference to growth.

I might get some of the tree lucerne stuff from eden seeds then..  they have a few options and I assume that would be the closest to Acacia?

Here’s the link:

https://www.edenseeds.com.au/?name=Category-Info-General&category=Inoculant

^ I'd like to know more about the different inoculant types for different crop varieties. Too bad Eden Seeds doesn't seem to have an email address. For example, are the different inoculants different "blends" of microorganisms? Ingredients lists of names of rhizobia could be useful to compare with Australian Acacia studies. 

Marion Simmons in her book Growing Acacias says that when potting on (i.e. not during germination): 

"Some soil from around the roots of large acacia plants in the garden or bush may be collected and added to the mix to introduce favourable microorganisms to encourage formation of root nodules and ensure the healthy growth of the plant." (p. 19)

Not very scientific, but seems to have worked for countless growers in the past. 

• Like 1

Sounds good.  Just had a read of the Phleb raising thread.  Some good info there.  Wish mine had survived… also just found this concerning culture of rhizobium, (or is it rhizobia?  I dunno..) anyway.  I’ll just leave it here coz I found it interesting:

Culture 

Sample Preparation 

• Carefully uproot a leguminous plant (sweetpeas, beans etc)
  • Gently wash the roots using sterilized water to remove any soil, mud etc.
  • Using a clean knife/blade, carefully remove/detach the nodules (which are visible to the naked eye) from the roots and place them in a container with clear water
  • After washing the nodules, place them in a container with a solution of merculic chloride for a few minutes - this helps disinfect and remove any microorganismon the surface of the nodule
  • Wash the nodules using alcohol and then wash with clean water several times
  • Place the nodules in a test-tube and add a few drops of water (distilled water)
  • Using a glass rod, crush the nodules to release the bacteria into the water

Culture Procedure 

• Gently pour mannitol-agar medium into 3 sterile test-tubes
  • Add a few drops of the sample (rhizobium water) into the test-tubes using sterilized droppers
  • Mix the contents thoroughly
  • Pour the contents into different Petri dishes and incubate at 45 degrees Celsius
  • Turn the Petri dish when the medium solidifies
  • Allow the culture to incubate for about 3 days

* Sample may also be collected from soil surrounding the roots of leguminous plant for comparison