The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
fyzygy

Dreamlessness

Does anyone know how/why cannabis impairs REM sleep (for better or worse) and is there a workaround? I'd like to understand this phenomenon better. Would herbs like Calea zacatachechi counteract this effect? Or would cannabis tend to negate the effects of Calea z.? Is apparent dreamlessness an effect of habitual/chronic cannabis use, or would even occasional use impair the quality of REM sleep states? 

that one, doesn't remember dreams, when smoking cannabis, is well documented, and people suffering from ptsd, like this side effect.

when one stops smoking hemp, the dreams are getting very vivid for a while. those very vivid dreams can be a motivation to halter, frequent cannabis usage.

my understanding is, that you still experience rem sleep and dreams, but loose the abilety to remember them.

tobaco, is a very dream enhancing herb, but i knew heavy smokers, of both and they never remembered there dreams.

not falling asleep after stopping cannabis, is well known, i can take months for your body to re adjust, maybe it will continue to be an issue for life.

nice article, learned!

most gp think, if you stop a drug, the complications they caused will go away right away, but that is not so, at least not for me.

i can't even tell my doc how delusioned he is, as he would get offended.

• Haha 1

If we are unable to remember dreams, it may be that the part of the brain which creates memories is impaired by the drug. It's not so much that you can't remember your dream because you didn't dream. Rather, you can't remember because your brain was not creating memories at the time. Think of "blackouts" when drinking. You were there but you can't remember anything afterwards. The alcohol was impairing your brain at the time.

1 hour ago, acasshia said:

Think of "blackouts" when drinking. You were there but you can't remember anything afterwards. The alcohol was impairing your brain at the time.

I think I agree with your point. Except that dreaming is an exceptional state, and I'm not sure it bears direct comparison with ordinary states, or states of intoxication. But maybe it does. You're saying, in addition to dreaming, our brain is (ordinarily) at the same time creating a memory of the dream? Why not just assume that the dreaming function itself has been impaired? I think people are REM-sleep deprived, quite often, and in that case, I doubt any dreams were being experienced in the first place, for the brain to codify into memory. And I think various cannabinoids may have an influence on REM states? 

At peak levels of alcohol intoxication, the part of the brain responsible for "mapping" reality--the product of which we refer back to as our "memories" of events--has been temporarily disabled. Under the influence at extreme levels, no "memories" were created in the first place, to have been forgotten (although that's our subjective experience: we rack our brains trying to remember what happened. We can't because the brain simply neglected to map that portion of experience. The forgotten experience most certainly happened. I'm not so sure, as regards the "forgotten" dream-experience). This is what I've been led to believe, while informally investigating the issue a few years ago (having stumbled on a crate of vintage Puerto Rican rum while fossicking among the kerbside hard rubbish). 

I have noticed that weed can make getting to sleep much easier but can also make deep sleep/rem sleep somehow less effective at whatever it is doing. I have noticed the same thing with most "sleep aid" things. As in easier to achieve sleep but you gain less from it.

I don't think most "sleep aid" things are good in the long run.

I've had a month off weed and it's been the worst month of sleep I can ever remember. I did the first 6 nights almost totally sleepless, I was in hallucination territory on day 7. 

Following weeks I still couldn't get a good sleep. Maybe a couple of hours at a time if I was lucky. 

Yes, dreams are intense, but generally towards the morning and waking time. Had a pretty crazy lucid dream the other morning.

I didn't feel like I was getting REM sleep at all. Normally after a week off I sleep like a log. Not any more. Maybe I'm just getting old and my parents always sod the older you get, the less you sleep.

So I am back on the weed sleep and it's wonderful. I had a solid 6-8 hours last two nights and I don't care what anyone says, it's proper deep sleep. I feel refreshed.

• Like 2

yeah kusha stops you remembering the brain pattern that the dreams work in and out of.

Its kusha i suspect Dr Watson

On 27/01/2023 at 12:01 PM, withdrawl clinic said:

not falling asleep after stopping cannabis, is well known, i can take months for your body to re adjust, maybe it will continue to be an issue for life.

nice article, learned!

most gp think, if you stop a drug, the complications they caused will go away right away, but that is not so, at least not for me.

i can't even tell my doc how delusioned he is, as he would get offended.

your not alone Wolf

for well nkown years but if mind is sick noo kusha because then compounding of pain eps are compounded

But, for fit head, kusha is killa

eventually after all the merry-go-round of lifes ecesses

Kusha is King

Smack a bunga in ya piehole

• Like 2

I used to know peeps who lived by two mottos:

"Mull up ya undies" and "Bong on!"

Flowers + sleep = good.

• Like 2

Plus cold weather. The summer heat and humidity mess up my sleep. Cold nights, I'm out.