The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Ishmael Fleishman

THC Gel Caps & Saliva Test

In the recent Entheogenesis Australis Garden States 2022 Ethnobotanical Conference Dr Karen Hitchcock B.A.(Hons) B.Med. FRACP PhD. Made an interesting statement that I would like to get members thoughts on.

Basically she suggested that if you consume THC in a gel cap then you would return a negative test on a Saliva Test.

The reasoning being that when you smoke cannabis the smoke contains THC the smoke then contacts your mouth contaminating your saliva glands with THC. So when you undergo a  Saliva Test you will test positive for THC.

However if you consume a gel cap containing THC it bypasses your mouth and the THC never comes in contact with your mouth and your saliva glands do not become contaminated with THC. 

And that once inside your body the THC would be metabolised and since the saliva test does not test for metabolites only the THC you will not test positive for THC.

Thoughts?

Until the Victorian government gets its shit together for patients undertaking medial cannabis this should be a legitimate means to circumvent road side testing - if correct.

Edited by Ishmael Fleishman

Sounds plausible. I am loathe to consider how gelatine is obtained. 

Is the roadside test admissible in court, or is a more sophisticated test required to be conducted back at the police station, as with some other drugs?

11 hours ago, fyzygy said:

I am loathe to consider how gelatine is obtained. 

As I am sure you are aware - gelatine is an industrial waste product from the meat industry. As a veg I prefer a non  gelatine version.  However if you have ever eaten airplane jelly then you have eaten gelatine. If you have drunk beer or wine then you have eaten gelatine. That's why you get vegan beer and wine. 

However talking to the chemist at Chemist Warehouse gel caps will dissolve in contact with a liquid in under an hour, so you would have to make up a capsule every time you want to dose which will be a pain. Unless you can get the caps that are not soluble towards oil.

Is the roadside test admissible in court,

As far as I understand - if you have proof that you are taking medically prescribed cannabis - a positive roadside test will land you in court at the discretion of the police officer and then the judge who personal prejudices determines if you get punished for seeking government sanctioned and medical approved treatment. The very situation make a mockery of the rule of law.

Edited by Ishmael Fleishman

It's true. Oral swab tests only detect presence of THC itself, not metabolites. So bypassing any direct contact with your mouth eliminates testing risk this way. But if you vape or smoke as well, then there's no advantage.

In NSW, a positive roadside test will result in a more thorough lab test, but you'll lose your licence roadside straight away. There is no legal defense even if you're on prescription.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Glaukus said:

It's true. Oral swab tests only detect presence of THC itself, not metabolites.

That is good to hear. The individual does not smoke or vape it is purely a medical cannabis use for the treatment for an auto immune condition. 

They are just concerned about saliva road side testing.

So if the gel cap gets past this problem then they will be happy.

9 hours ago, Ishmael Fleishman said:

That is good to hear. The individual does not smoke or vape it is purely a medical cannabis use for the treatment for an auto immune condition. 

They are just concerned about saliva road side testing.

So if the gel cap gets past this problem then they will be happy.

I'd still proceed with caution.

You need to de-carboxylate the oil first to make the THCA into active THC when ingested.  Chances of being off ya guts behind the wheel would be pretty high I reckon, best saved for when one is safe and sound at home.

Edited by Humboldt

47 minutes ago, Humboldt said:

You need to de-carboxylate the oil first to make the THCA into active THC when ingested.  Chances of being off ya guts behind the wheel would be pretty high I reckon, best saved for when one is safe and sound at home.

And edibles hit in a very different way too. Come up often feels very MDMA like.

It medical cannabis oil - The buds were de-carboxylate before turning into the oil I am told.

Honestly, it is not for internal consumption. We are using it to treat an auto-immune skin condition applied topically. 

The use of medical cannabis CBD was not effective so the addition of THC this has proven effective.

Inflammatory lesions have shown marked improvement.

My original question was of academic interest and if one day they wished to take the product internally.

We need the bloody law to catch up with reality. People are suffering.

• Like 2