The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Alchemica

Lampranthus 'Chinese Kanna'

Can offer free cuttings of Lampranthus spectabilis (Red) if interested.DSC_0001352.thumb.jpg.0948757568852a5a4277b8fc35c2b6f2.jpg

I can't properly explore as my serotonin transporter is heavily occupied but as it's a rampant grower and a different colour for the garden, it might be a useful addition. Have dried research material if needed too. Let me know in this thread if interested and I'll get back to you once the festive craziness has quietened down

While it is claimed "...it would be almost impossible to achieve any pharmacological response from genera other than Sceletium" [1], recently Lampranthus species have been specifically marketed as "Chinese Kanna", alongside being used as an adulterant, one source stating Lampranthus spectabilis generally contains about 1–1.5% total alkaloids [2].

A high concentration of phenolics has been noted in Lampranthus [3], along with other phytoconstituents [4]

"Of the five Lampranthus species tested, only L. aureus and L. spectabilis yielded mesembrenol, while all the other Lampranthus species investigated appeared to contain mesembrenone, but all at very low levels." Lampranthus aureus appears to contain other indolic alkaloids

Mesembrine: SERT inhibition [other claims of 5-HT releasing activity], PDE-4 inhibition, Anti-inflammatory, Cytoprotective, Upregulates VMAT-2, Mild inhibition of AChE, Mild MAO inhibition, limited reuptake of NE and DA at high concentrations
Mesembrenone/mesembrenol: SERT inhibition, PDE-4 inhibition

Edited by Alchemica
  • Like 4

Edit: Gone. Germinated some Lampranthus aureus from seed, have a spare seedling if anyone wants to grow it. PM me.

From [1]:

2135791567_mesembrymesembrine.thumb.png.f423fb1df872f7eca80cffdbdfdceaae.png

Lampranthus_aureus.thumb.jpg.58d73bc142e1d9308cc230780f5d040d.jpg

1726970715_laureus.thumb.jpg.98e79dfb8898ee7604749a609bdf76b7.jpg

Edited by Alchemica
  • Like 1